Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alarm with cctv

• 02-06-2019 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

Hi, will need alarm for refurbished farmhouse. Have precious indoor pet so would like CCTV for when I am at work. House has patio doors and front door. What system would ye recommend? As I’m a female living alone in the country, security is a big concern so will pay accordingly

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NOTE: I'm not a security installer, just a person interested in DIY systems and home automation tech.

Sounds like you'd want to get an alarm system that supports shock sensors. That way you can just arm the perimeter (doors/windows) without arming the PIR's inside or just arm the PIR's that the pets don't have access too.

You can also get pet sensitive PIR's, though those might give mixed results. For instance a cat jumping on a chair could still trigger it.

Personally I don't think it you necessarily need the CCTV and alarm system to be on the same system. There are a lot of nice cheap IP cameras that would allow you to keep an eye on the pets while away and confirm when the alarm goes off if it was a real activation or just the pets. Obviously an alarm system with remote control, so that you can turn it off and reset it if it is the pets, is a good idea.

I'd have at least two highly visible external cameras, one front, one back outside the house to keep an eye on the approaches. Maybe more (to the side of the house?) depending on the shape of the home.

I'd also have a couple of cheaper indoor cameras to keep an eye on the pets and which can be used to confirm if someone actually breaks in. As an example Yi Home cameras cost just €20 or so each.

Don't forget other elements of home security:
    - Motion activated outdoor lights
    - Good locks on all doors and windows and actually use them
    - Gate on the drive way, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donnacha_

Would recommend A HKC Perimeter System that covers all doors and windows With PIR's in common areas such as a Hallway or landing. The HKC app allows you to monitor the system when at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

Donnacha_ wrote: »
    Would recommend A HKC Perimeter System that covers all doors and windows With PIR's in common areas such as a Hallway or landing. The HKC app allows you to monitor the system when at work.

Is this a wireless system- how much would you expect to pay for such a system to cover a four bed detached house? Any recommendations for a midland based installer?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Remember OP. That's best to shop around for systems

There many good posters here who have preferences and are aligned with particular manufacturers.

It's best to shop around, make sure you take ongoing annual costs into consideration

Advertisement