Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New platform for Limerick junction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Shn99 wrote: »

These links are for Thurles. Oddly, the application for LJ (18600453) is marked "incomplete" with no scanned files.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That's why the whole station should be moved north of its existing location but will never happen.
    Too long a walk to the racetrack though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

dowlingm wrote: »
    Too long a walk to the racetrack though :D

Not to mention the "Bit & Bridle".

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Footbridge has been installed
    Any news on opening dare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

June according to staff there

• Advertisement

Was at limerick junction yesterday ans platform progressing well.
    On a side note i was very impressed with the train to heuston (coming from Cork). Fast,comfortable and on time.
    Train was packed half one with just about all seats full with people standing. First class basically empty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Without looking into times in more detail, 4.8 mins savings looks a little optimistic in my opinion. Yes train will not need to slow down for 1.5-2 miles longer nor will the 15mph be applicable on approach. I am not convinced, I would have said 3-3.5 mins max.

It will save around 4 minutes.
    15:00 heuston-Cork calls at Thurles, Charleville and Mallow. 3 stops, 2h, 25m.
    16:00 Heuston-Cork calls at Thurles, Limerick junction and mallow. 3 stops again but it takes 2h, 29m, an extra 4 min.
    Although some services may only have an extra 3 minutes.
    Also is there a reason why most Cork-Dublin trains take slighlty longer than trains in the other direction.
    I'd say there will be a timetable change in september to benefit from the new platform and line improvment works over the last 2 years. Maby bring average j.t. to 2h,20-25m
    06:15 express must be due a change as it has stayed 2h, 15m for 4 years even though there was line improvment works for all of those years.
    Finally that the spare MK4 set could be used as an extra service to Cork in the peak time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the biggest saving will be when there is disruption and trains no longer baulk each other waiting for platform access. I'd imagine this can be quite a saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why is the footbridge positioned so far down the platform? It's not ideal for passengers who are entering and exiting the station.

Why is the footbridge positioned so far down the platform? It's not ideal for passengers who are entering and exiting the station.

Surely you don't imagine that passengers were taken into consideration when planning the new platform and footbridge?

Limerick Junction is primarily an interchange station I imagine that has influenced the footbridge position

Isambard wrote: »
    Limerick Junction is primarily an interchange station I imagine that has influenced the footbridge position

Tell that to all the passengers from Tipperary.

They would have had to close the station.

what all of them? how long do I have?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They would have had to close the station.

Really?

Why couldn't the footbridge be placed at the other side of the platform, closer to the station entrance?

The new platform is not directly parallel. Its further north(?) So the bridge has to be further up the existing platform.
    Is it due to open this month

The new platform is not directly parallel. Its further north(?) So the bridge has to be further up the existing platform.
    Is it due to open this month

Yes indeed and in the most convenient place for passengers from down trains transferring to the Limerick shuttle. It's no good saving time by installing a new platform only to wait extra minutes for passengers to traipse along the up platform to get to the bay.

Really?

Why couldn't the footbridge be placed at the other side of the platform, closer to the station entrance?

Close to the station entrance would most likely require closure of the station, platforms are narrow. You will see that some of the bay platform (plt 3) is taken out of service during the works.

When the platform opens, I would hope that IE will ensure the Limerick shuttle operators at platform 3 i.e next to bridge and not further in like currently except when Waterford service is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Most of the passengers heading to Tipperary town probably arrange a friend/ relative to pick them up from Lk Jn.

Even walking would be just as quick for much of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Any update on the opening date for this?

Incidentally, did Heuston-Thurles yesterday in (I think) 63 minutes. Certainly the fastest I've known it in a long time. Is that the benefit of the upgrade works?

This must be opening soon?

This must be opening soon?

I heard early/mid September at the latest but might be late August if the lifts are fitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Is the new LJ platform being brought into use next weekend ?

Very poor from IE, up to 6 minutes and they have failed to publish notices 7 days in advance.

That seemed to come out of nowhere alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

And why couldn't the place be just left the way it was, a totally unique station that worked well for over a hundred years with 4 platforms serving 4 trains at the same time to Waterford, Limerick Cork and Dublin all on the level with no footbridges or lifts need, it has to be said, the king has no clothes, this whole project is totally daft and ridiculous and a waste of money. Constructing a windswept down platform, further across from Limerick trains, the current arrangement works perfect, step off 1 train and on to another, then my cynical goes into overdrive with this whole daft project, is there a hidden agenda, lifting all the sidings, constructing a platform that's not needed and constructing empty carparks at the south end, there's definitely no flexible for the return of rail freight at Limerick Junction in the future.
    Regards
    h.gricer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Very poor from IE, up to 6 minutes and they have failed to publish notices 7 days in advance.

I hope it's only a temporary measure. Or else the net benefit of this improvement for Kerry passengers is three more minutes hanging in Mallow. :rolleyes:

Advertisement