Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Promotional prospects are poor outside Dublin, remember that the training is a big financial investment on behalf of the company I’ve been told that it costs around €100k to train a driver though I don’t believe it. The company doesn’t generally promote drivers too quickly until they’ve recouped the cost of training and then some. During unforeseen driver shortages which seem to happen regularly they can’t afford to lose drivers so they don’t promote them. The only promotion guaranteed to be a driver is inspector over drivers. You must be a driver to get this job and have at least 3 or 5 years experience I’m not sure. I haven’t seen one of these jobs come up in at least 8 years.

Salary scale is 10 years.

Some depots especially Dublin based depots have actual night work. Just cos trains ain’t running doesn’t mean there ain’t drivers on duty shunting trains and prepping them to go out on early morning services.

The 100k likely includes the salary from training from day 1 until you operate your first service as a qualified driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The 100k likely includes the salary from training from day 1 until you operate your first service as a qualified driver.

Even so, 100k would still be hugely on the high side,

dar100 wrote: »
    Even so, 100k would still be hugely on the high side,

Possibly, 9 months training??, driving under supervision 6-12 months??, costs from HR prospective, medicals, discounted travel, mentor pay etc.

1.5/2 year training process costs 66/88k alone in a salary.

Just depends how costs are calculated but yes I suspect a little rounding going on.

Possibly, 9 months training??, driving under supervision 6-12 months??, costs from HR prospective, medicals, discounted travel, mentor pay etc.

1.5/2 year training process costs 66/88k alone in a salary.

Just depends how costs are calculated but yes I suspect a little rounding going on.

As its group training in class, cost would be aggregated, one or two tutors? 30ish grand salary over the 9 months 3/4 of 42.

Really depends on amount of students, if there were 20 in a group, in theory 50-55 grand per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Doghouses

I would well believe the 100k estimate. Remember this figure would be an average cost of producing a trai driver. Including drivers that have been trained and then left, ones that don’t complete the training and there will be a lot of one on one training involved within the group training I’m sure.

• Advertisement

That’s what big john said to me. He’s one of the trainers there. I wouldn’t advice any of you guys calling him that tho.
    Just his besties

Doghouses wrote: »
    That’s what big john said to me. He’s one of the trainers there. I wouldn’t advice any of you guys calling him that tho.
    Just his besties

Lol, your so full of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Doghouses wrote: »
    Just his besties

He stands six foot six and weighs 245. He comes from the heart of Inchicore, where, with a crashin blow from a huge right hand he killed a train driver over a Cajun Queen.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

The instructor who told me the 100k figure said that when this figure was being calculated they even included the cost of diesel on training train.i reckon it’s still on the high side.

Maximum class size I’ve seen is 9 trainees. I believe max is 2 classes running at any one time and usually first class is about 2 months in before second class starts.

No big johns in Training School either:D

The instructor who told me the 100k figure said that when this figure was being calculated they even included the cost of diesel on training train.i reckon it’s still on the high side.

Maximum class size I’ve seen is 9 trainees. I believe max is 2 classes running at any one time and usually first class is about 2 months in before second class starts.

Almost 1 million to train 9 train divers, wow

• Advertisement

Or 1 million to train 10
    It doesn’t matter what it costs. The trainers are great bunch of people .

Do you know if they mentor on empty services before passenger? Would make sense to count them.

To be fair newbies probably do end up costing extra on the fuel bill for the first few weeks they are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Do you know if they mentor on empty services before passenger? Would make sense to count them.

To be fair newbies probably do end up costing extra on the fuel bill for the first few weeks they are out.

Whilst in the latter stages of the training school I believe trainees are taken out on an empty train. It used to be Heuston to Thurles and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

John Callery was pretty big but he's long retired now.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

anyone having medicals today? any info you can share would be brilliant and appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Did anybody think to ask when we get our results?

Alternatively can anyone whose doing the tests today tomorrow or weds ask that question please

Thank you

Ais123 wrote: »
    Alternatively can anyone whose doing the tests today tomorrow or weds ask that question please

I'll ask on Wednesday, regarding when the actual course is starting and how many are being selected etc.

mario84s wrote: »
    I'll ask on Wednesday, regarding when the actual course is starting and how many are being selected etc.

Thank you, I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I also want to schedule my days off around the times interviews are if I’m lucky enough to get through.

Judging on how quick they’re progressing I imagine interviews will be the week off or after we get the results.

Ais123 wrote: »
    Thank you, I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I also want to schedule my days off around the times interviews are if I’m lucky enough to get through.

Judging on how quick they’re progressing I imagine interviews will be the week off or after we get the results.

someone said they have medical today yet some people doing phase 2 tomorrow and wednesday. it's moving pretty quick alright

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

I just finished my session 2 today. The girl testing us said the original intention had been to have training starting on 18th February!

She was non committal as to whether they expect to keep to that, but I got the impression from her that they knew it was unrealistic at this stage, considering the volume of applications.

We were told we would hear by the end of the week about appointments for medicals and interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

CiboC wrote:
    I just finished my session 2 today. The girl testing us said the original intention had been to have training starting on 18th February!

For a concentration test they could have given us someone a little less distracting!!!!!

Yay Passed this stage now on to the medical, they say in the email you get if you’re available last minute here are some dates for the medical. It was tomorrow and weds. I wasn’t available for either and that was ok. They’ll just send me more when they’ve booked more slots. So don’t panic guys if you can’t get last minute time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

CiboC wrote: »

She was non committal as to whether they expect to keep to that, but I got the impression from her that they knew it was unrealistic at this stage, considering the volume of applications.

We were told we would hear by the end of the week about appointments for medicals and interviews.

Hmm, not quite inline with what a certain other person posted about being told about their medical appointment same day they did the assessment.....makes you wonder.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

blueband wrote: »
    Hmm, not quite inline with what a certain other person posted about being told about their medical appointment same day they did the assessment.....makes you wonder.....

Probably because duck all people showed up on Thursday,

I heard from the medical department (which I was in today and passed) and I don't believe it myself that they had medicals last week too. I don't know how though ?

There are for fact though more medicals today and tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Anybody from Cork get callled?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Probably because duck all people showed up on Thursday,

I heard from the medical department (which I was in today and passed) and I don't believe it myself that they had medicals last week too. I don't know how though ?

There are for fact though more medicals today and tomorrow

Well done on passing the medical.
    Best of luck with the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Well done on passing the medical.
    Best of luck with the interview.

Thank you !

I'm not breaking out the champagne anytime soon, because I get the feeling the interview could be make or break in this race !

Best of luck with everyone else, anyone there today.? How did you get on ?

Just to say the medical is as though as GM and others here mentioned with Extensive eye tests, hearing test in booth, BMI , ECG, blood test, urine test and anything I might've missed.

I remember my bus medicals and I didn't get half of that stuff but as stated this is more strict

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rinn71

Thank you !

I'm not breaking out the champagne anytime soon, because I get the feeling the interview could be make or break in this race !

Just to say the medical is as though as GM and others here mentioned with Extensive eye tests, hearing test in booth, BMI , ECG, blood test, urine test and anything I might've missed.

I remember my bus medicals and I didn't get half of that stuff but as stated this is more strict

Congrats & best of luck going forward!

Did they require a report from your own GP or a list of current medications etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joepoe

Thank you !

Well done on passing :)

How strict were they in regards to vision tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Joepoe wrote: »
    Well done on passing :)

How strict were they in regards to vision tests?
    :eek::eek:

Advertisement