Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need Help Please - Astec 63 - Installation/Engineering Manual

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BarryC

Any chance of getting the install menu.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

BarryC wrote: »
    Any chance of getting the install menu.
    Cheers

Sent you that by P.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GreeneB

I am renting a flat and our roommate hit the panick button. We have an Astec 63 and had to pull the fuse because the land lord does not know the code. Could I have a copy of the engineering manual. I would like to try resetting the alarm to factory settings. Thanks, GreeneB

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I PMed you that manual. If you need any help give us a shout.

KoolKid,

Thanks for you assistance. I was able to reset the alarm system and reprogram it.

Take Care,
    GreeneB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your welcome. Glad it helped.

GreeneB wrote: »
    KoolKid,

Thanks for you assistance. I was able to reset the alarm system and reprogram it.

Take Care,
    GreeneB

After resetting the alarm the battery seems to be dead. We should have pulled the fuse and the battery link. The system is an Astec 63. I have read that these systems have no parts on the market. Does anyone know if that applies to the battery? Could you recommend a place to purchase a battery in Dublin 3 area?

Thanks,
    GreeneB

Battery s are freely available.
    Reliable Security in Druncondra would be close enough to you.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Battery s are freely available.
    Reliable Security in Druncondra would be close enough to you.

Thanks again for your help. I was able to get and install a new battery and my system is up and running. I would recommend Reliable Security as well. Their shop and service was very helpful.

Thanks,
    GreeneB

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hennespa

Hi guys - lost my installation manual getting an intermittent a sensor error would anyone still have a copy. Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry it's an ASTEC 63

hennespa wrote: »
    Hi guys - lost my installation manual getting an intermittent a sensor error would anyone still have a copy. Thanks
    Sorry it's an ASTEC 63

Sent you the manual by P.M.

altor wrote: »
    Sent you the manual by P.M.

Got it thanks - Sorry only getting back to you now. Still having phantom activations tested everything but no fault found will put it on soak test see if it picks up anything without actually waking us up in the middle of the night. Failing that I'll bell out everything when the weather improves . Thx Again

Got it thanks - Sorry only getting back to you now. Still having phantom activations tested everything but no fault found will put it on soak test see if it picks up anything without actually waking us up in the middle of the night. Failing that I'll bell out everything when the weather improves . Thx Again

If a device or devices are faulty you will need a multimeter to test this.

Remove the resistor from the last device on the zone and connect the wires to the last device. 
    Sometimes the resistor is in the control panel so just remove this and connect the cable ends from that zone to the multimeter.
    Set the meter to 200 Ohms and take a note of the reading.
    Each device you have on that zone you will need to tap 10-20 times plus open and close each contact one by one. If you do connect the meter in series with the last device then make sure you disconnect the zone in the control panel plus any resistors on the loop and join the cable together there.
    After each one, check if the reading has changed. 
    If it does not return to in or around the same value remove that device, join the cables from the alarm circuit together and move on to the next device.
    After this you should have a circuit with a lower resistance value that remains the same after you tap or open any device.
    Replace any faulty devices plus replace the EOL resistor and rewire the zone back into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Hi,

could you PM me the installation manual?

Looking to replace the battery. Is this a relatively simple job? Should the mains be switched off while changing?

Thanks

PMed you that.

Hi,

could you PM me the installation manual?

Looking to replace the battery. Is this a relatively simple job? Should the mains be switched off while changing?

Thanks

The Main things to be careful off is not to let anything touch the PCB when changing the battery. I have seen to many instances where a user has blown the control panel doing same. Another is when putting the PCB back pinching the battery cables. These should be on top of the battery out of the way to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laker04

Hi,

Can I get engineer manual too please. Moved into house, managed to default alarm and get into engineer mode. Display saying FAULT, with TELECOM and BATTERY under it. BATTERY is flashing.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Matdiy32

Hi

I'm in the same boat, moved into house with battery fault on an Astec 63 alarm. If anyone can send me the installation manual it would be much appreciated.

PMed you that manual.

• Advertisement

Laker04 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I get engineer manual too please. Moved into house, managed to default alarm and get into engineer mode. Display saying FAULT, with TELECOM and BATTERY under it. BATTERY is flashing.

Many thanks.

TELECOM fault is an issue with the line going to the panel.
    If you have a meter can you check the voltage at the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Never knew these panels had dialers on board till last week. Was replacing a battery for a family member, who bought the house a year ago. Noticed the phone line connected to it, so programmed in the new numbers and it worked great.

It depends on the model.
    If its DV model it has a voice dialler.
    If its just D its a dialler
    If its just 63 or 49 there's no dialler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmckeating

Any chance I could get the installation manual as well please? Its a 63DV

Thanks!

I have PMed you that. I hope it helps.;)

You are a gent sir - thank you

KoolKid - you appear to be something of an expert on alarms (from this and other threads ... )

Question for you - my interest was prompted y my Astec alarm going randomly off with a Tamper-Open when it wasn't armed. I opened all the boxes (S02) and they all are now firmly closed and look fine - from what I can understand. In one of them the blue and yellow wires were quite far apart, and I have a feeling that was what was causing the tamper to go off. I nudged them together with a screwdriver as I wasn't sure what voltage goes through them.

What I was wondering was how the tamper piece works - if the blue and yellow wires are twisted together, will the tamper work and not trip off randomly? And if that does suffice, is it safe to ensure the heads are close to one another?

With Astec system the tamper and alarm zones are on the same pair. When you open the sensor there are 3 connection terminals. The 2 outer ones are the zone loop. The middle one is just spare for joining cables.
    The voltage through the zone loop is minimal. Don't worry about doing yourself any harm.

With Astec system the tamper and alarm zones are on the same pair. When you open the sensor there are 3 connection terminals. The 2 outer ones are the zone loop. The middle one is just spare for joining cables.
    The voltage through the zone loop is minimal. Don't worry about doing yourself any harm.

Oh I get you - so how could the circuit open and trip the tamper alarm without touching the box? Judging by the manual, Tamper-Open means contact box is open (it isn't) or wire is cut (it isn't) ... plus it doesn't always trip - only sometimes and with no pattern.

There isn't anything obvious awry with any of the boxes, bar on one where one of the black wires is slightly exposed (i.e. plastic scraped off by box cover).

Could it short due to moisture on the window?

Thanks by the way - this is really helpful

• Advertisement

If moisture was causing a short it should display tamper EOL. Probably a faulty device or a bad connection somewhere

Advertisement