Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IE's 071 Class.

Comments

I can't see an IE logo on the yellow end so I'm guessing 075.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It was 075 through here last week with flat wagons, internal workings seem to come through between 1 and 2pm. Will try harder tomorrow if it's dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

It was in Clonmel station half an hour ago quietly growling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

075 alright as its numbers are white/grey instead of black.Loco 071 is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 duffmckegean

cml387 wrote: »
    It was in Clonmel station half an hour ago quietly growling.

I was in Tesco at 8 and it was whining away then too.
    Is it possible that it's being lefts run overnight?
    Not very good for MPG's, maybe the alternator's a bit dodgey!

• Advertisement

More than likely left running for the night.I know when they had 079 down West a few weeks ago with the ballast it was stabled in Ballyhaunis station and swichted off each night.

I was in Tesco at 8 and it was whining away then too.
    Is it possible that it's being lefts run overnight?
    Not very good for MPG's, maybe the alternator's a bit dodgey!

071s are notoriously difficult to start and always were. Some locations even had external power supplies to help start them in case the batteries go flat. Tralee certainly did. In recent years they've been more willing to shut them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I was an apprentice in Inchicore when the 071's were being put into service after lying around for a good while after delivery.

They were almost impossible to start even when new. Many of them were on their third set of starter motors and countless sets of batteries before they even entered service. It's no wonder they won't shut them off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Karsini wrote: »
    In recent years they've been more willing to shut them down.

Less urgency if a freight train is 20 minutes late because the 071 didn't want to start, possibly?

One of them has a wheel flat now. Took dog in plenty of time yesterday and no 071 :rolleyes:

One rattled through on the up light engine at around 3ish, I was back home by then, can see line from bottom of garden about 3/4 mile away. Same one (going by the sound) rattled through light engine heading south around 10 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

101sean wrote: »
    One of them has a wheel flat now. Took dog in plenty of time yesterday and no 071 :rolleyes:
    Excuse my ignorance but aren't the wheels made from iron? How can they be flat? Is it a term used to mean a piece has broken off the wheel?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but aren't the wheels made from iron? How can they be flat? Is it a term used to mean a piece has broken off the wheel?

It's literally a flat spot on the wheel. It can be caused by heavy braking or (according to a friend of mine) extended storage without being moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Some one get a vid of an 071 startup!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Most people think of a flat wheel on a car when they hear Wheel flats, but in this case it is where a section of the wheel has become flat for some reason. It can be caused by heavy breaking or breaks not releasing.

800px-Flachstelle.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Karsini wrote: »
    071s are notoriously difficult to start and always were. Some locations even had external power supplies to help start them in case the batteries go flat. Tralee certainly did. In recent years they've been more willing to shut them down.

Freight paths nowadays are pretty constant compared to olden times. Until maybe 10 years ago a freight train could literally depart at a minutes notice so an engine could be needed at any time so they needed to be left running just in case; these days they have their slot and they are pretty much like clockwork in their running times so they can be turned off if unneeded for several hours. The auld price of diesel these days makes leaving them idle for ages that bit less attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most people think of a flat wheel on a car when they hear Wheel flats, but in this case it is where a section of the wheel has become flat for some reason. It can be caused by heavy breaking or breaks not releasing.

800px-Flachstelle.JPG
    Can it be repaired/pumped up or ground down or are the wheels just replaced? Is it dangerous, could it cause a derailment?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Can it be repaired/pumped up or ground down or are the wheels just replaced? Is it dangerous, could it cause a derailment?

I don't know the technical term but you can grind down the wheel to make it circular again. You can only do it so many times before the wheel needs to be replaced.

Serious wheelflats can cause track damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

You can turn the wheels on a lathe to return them to the correct profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Like blackspotting an F1 car.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo checker

More than likely left running for the night.I know when they had 079 down West a few weeks ago with the ballast it was stabled in Ballyhaunis station and swichted off each night.
    well every time that there is a ballast stabled in ballyhaunis it wudnt be moved for a few days so thats why it be switched off the majority of the time ,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

trad wrote: »
    I was an apprentice in Inchicore when the 071's were being put into service after lying around for a good while after delivery.

They were almost impossible to start even when new. Many of them were on their third set of starter motors and countless sets of batteries before they even entered service. It's no wonder they won't shut them off.

Why, exactly, is that? Its a common enough problem with diesel engines, even relatively small ones. Hence why cars have heater plugs. But what specifically was the problem with the 071's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

When GO Transit build remote storage tracks for their commuter trains they usually provide wayside power for the loco (engine is the 4000hp 16 cylinder cousin of what's in a 201 class) but that's probably as much for trailer and engine block heating on -30C winter mornings (thank god this winter hasn't had any) than to assist the starter motors.

See page 16 of this for instance:
    http://gotransitnlb.gotransit.com/public/en/docs/ea/kitchener_trainstoragetracks/Temporary-Train-LO-WEB.pdf

"well every time that there is a ballast stabled in ballyhaunis it wudnt be moved for a few days so thats why it be switched off the majority of the time"-Incorrect,the ballast was out each evening/night when stabled in Ballyhaunis last,it was noted shunting in Claremoris at aroun 1900 and 2100.Tonight Regulator 703 is working between Claremorris and Manulla Junction......Back to 071s,083 worked an extra IWT liner from Ballina this morning(Noted in Athlone at 1300),232 worked another IWT from Ballina before hand.Good to see.

Same rattling 071 went through at 4 today, I'll get it eventually!

073 is pictured in this weeks Railway Herald on the weekly Inchicore - Limerick wheel/wagon train.

Hope u get it soon 101Sean!! 073 is busy so,it worked an empty timber train into Ballina earlier this evening(Crossing 072 with the laden timber in Claremorris at around 5pm). Some excellent photos of the 80s scene have been put up on IRN link here www.steverabone.com/RailwayPhotographs/ireland_1984.htm and some 90s here www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=CIE

Seen those pics before, very good.

Same 071 rattled past at 2ish with pway wagons heading south so it'll be even later coming back, might try around 4.00!

"well every time that there is a ballast stabled in ballyhaunis it wudnt be moved for a few days so thats why it be switched off the majority of the time"-Incorrect,

yes you are incorrect
    if you read my post correctly you would see i said majority of the time ? didnt say all the time that it be switched off ???? please read my posts carefully anymore before saying im incorrect thank you ,,,,,

thanks for lettin me know the whereabout,s of 084 by the way

078 must be recieving the longest overhaul in inchicore history ....i recokon you have a better chance of the world ending this year than seeing 078 back out again this year:):) you will win an oscar if you read my post carefully ...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

yes you are incorrect
    if you read my post correctly you would see i said majority of the time ? didnt say all the time that it be switched off ???? please read my posts carefully anymore before saying im incorrect thank you ,,,,,

thanks for lettin me know the whereabout,s of 084 by the way

Can we lay off the snideness please?

I think you also missed the emphasis of that post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 former inchicore apprentice

078 must be recieving the longest overhaul in inchicore history ....i recokon you have a better chance of the world ending this year than seeing 078 back out again this year:):) you will win an oscar if you read my post carefully ...

well the information i have on that is that it will be a while before 078 will be back on the Mainline again

Advertisement