Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Galway did look knackered this year. It will be interesting to see if Limerick can maintain their fitness level. It's just so difficult to win two back to back. Tipp couldn't even manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Not surprised to see Galway out or think they'd have contributed much to the championship anyways as I think their hunger for now is gone. They've been on the go for a while now and I think in crunch games the like of Tipp or even Wexford would beat them.

The worst thing about Tipp doing well is we're likely going to see those two gob****es the two Jonnys re-emerge. Sickeners.

Re-emerge? They're doing a weekly podcast now which is top of the charts every week. I think they're quite funny but I only pay a passing interest in them. And if you don't think they are, they are easily avoided surely.

The Tipp Tipp Tipp Tipp chant is easily the worst thing about Tipp doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Grats wrote: »
    O'Connor was stupid to carry on like that but it is totally out of character and he'll regret it. Davy Fitz is a different animal. He's continuously at it on the sideline so nobody should be surprised when he gets a ban. He fully deserves any punishment he gets. Even his former colleague Brian Lohan questioned his "passion" suggesting it wasn't genuine.

I think questioning Davy's passion is a joke. He loves the game would give his all for his team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Re-emerge? They're doing a weekly podcast now which is top of the charts every week. I think they're quite funny but I only pay a passing interest in them. And if you don't think they are, they are easily avoided surely.

The Tipp Tipp Tipp Tipp chant is easily the worst thing about Tipp doing well.

Tipp people think other people not from Tipp think they're hilarious, constantly playing that ****ty "we didn't start the fire" song.

Regarding their re-emergence, I'm talking about their "viral" hit as soon as Tipp get to a semi or some ****e that all the clickbait sites will push as well as being on all match related programmes/radio shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

Ursula is a bit hard on the ears.

She tries to be more vocal than someone like Eddie Brennan who has 8 all Irelands to his name. Eddie is brillant analyst i must say and Donal Og too who knows his stuff. Not so sure about Ursula.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    Galway did look knackered this year. It will be interesting to see if Limerick can maintain their fitness level. It's just so difficult to win two back to back. Tipp couldn't even manage it.

I dont think they will. I do think Tipp have the best chance of doing it but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mehapoy wrote: »
    He was lucky a player didn't come in and take his head off, disgraceful...anyone else getting sick of this Clare thing of trying to make cusack park into some sort of galatasaray place to go, Daly was just short of advocating hooliganism inside the line a few weeks ago in order to get an advantage, a few with short fuses in the crowd get influenced by that and we'd have nasty scenes, just play the game and quit the chip on your shoulders crap about players laughing at you and whippung boys etc.

I like Anthony and Fitzy in a way!, but you are 100%.

Said it before when Fitz attacked the Tipp player a few years ago. All it needed as you say for some fkn binlid in crowd to decide sure he might as well have a go too, and you have mayhem.

Was at club game where that happened a few years ago, and it is no different, nor excusable, than lads pucking the heads off one another outside a pub.

Wouldn't be squeamish, but a pretty scary sight. There is a fine line between controlled aggression and anarchy. A sports manager has no business trying to test that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

I never subscribed to the Galway were tired stuff from last year, it seems to me that people pick and choose when not enough games is a disadvantage and too many games is a disadvantage to suit a particular argument/agenda. The only thing that holds any weight with me is a team playing a third week in a row against a team that has had a break at least one of the previous two weekends. But even that isn't conclusive, there have been five or six examples that support that hypothesis in the last two years but on the flip side Clare produced a good performance on the third successive weekend yesterday and Limerick, while it may have been a factor, I don't feel it was the reason they lost yesterday. Tipp were just better on the day.

Limerick will be fine fitness wise; they started later than everyone else this year on that front after all. Like last year with Galway the thing that will catch them is being beaten by a team that performs better on a given day.

Once the provincial championships are over the fatigue excuse no longer applies. The games come thick and fast over five or six weeks in the provinces, the All-Ireland series is far more forgiving on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

threeball wrote: »
    You said last night that 2 footed lunges weren't fouls at all

Where’s your outrage now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Seadin wrote: »
    She tries to be more vocal than someone like Eddie Brennan who has 8 all Irelands to his name. Eddie is brillant analyst i must say and Donal Og too who knows his stuff. Not so sure about Ursula.

I hate this sort of logic that the more medals you win, the more value you bring to the table. Walter Burke has 2 more All irelands than Ken McGrath, should he therefore be a better analyst to listen to?

Plus the fact that Jacob herself has 10 Leinsters, 4 all irelands and 4 All stars. If you are going to denigrate her, it shouldnt be about what she or Eddie has won in their careers.

Her voice is a different matter though I will concede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

Nic_Col wrote: »
    I never subscribed to the Galway were tired stuff from last year, it seems to me that people pick and choose when not enough games is a disadvantage and too many games is a disadvantage to suit a particular argument/agenda. The only thing that holds any weight with me is a team playing a third week in a row against a team that has had a break at least one of the previous two weekends. But even that isn't conclusive, there have been five or six examples that support that hypothesis in the last two years but on the flip side Clare produced a good performance on the third successive weekend yesterday and Limerick, while it may have been a factor, I don't feel it was the reason they lost yesterday. Tipp were just better on the day.

Limerick will be fine fitness wise; they started later than everyone else this year on that front after all. Like last year with Galway the thing that will catch them is being beaten by a team that performs better on a given day.

Once the provincial championships are over the fatigue excuse no longer applies. The games come thick and fast over five or six weeks in the provinces, the All-Ireland series is far more forgiving on that front.

I don't think that fitness will be their downfall. It'll be their system. When tipp bottled up the middle yesterday they were lost. They tried going over the top but the Tipp half backs ate them alive. Tipp forwards didn't even fire yesterday yet they were comfortable throughout.

When Limerick can't go through the lines and can't pop the handy pass from 40-50m away rather than 80m over bodies then I think they're in real bother. They look wonderful when they have space in the middle third but not so much when they get squeezed there. Others will learn that too. KK are well able to squeeze a team like that and wexfords workrate in that middle third is extremely high.

citykat wrote: »
    Where’s your outrage now?

I didn't see the game as it wasn't on TV. People don't tend to comment on something they don't see. Commenting could hardly be classified as outrage. You seem to get very ratty if anyone has the temerity to question the actions of a KK player though.

I don't think that fitness will be their downfall. It'll be their system. When tipp bottled up the middle yesterday they were lost. They tried going over the top but the Tipp half backs ate them alive. Tipp forwards didn't even fire yesterday yet they were comfortable throughout.

When Limerick can't go through the lines and can't pop the handy pass from 40-50m away rather than 80m over bodies then I think they're in real bother. They look wonderful when they have space in the middle third but not so much when they get squeezed there. Others will learn that too. KK are well able to squeeze a team like that and wexfords workrate in that middle third is extremely high.

Yeah I was only addressing the fitness point. It (as you have described) has been demonstrated a few times this year already how to counteract Limerick, Dublin even made a good fist of it for much of the league semi final in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I think questioning Davy's passion is a joke. He loves the game would give his all for his team

Half of Davys 'Passion' is an act. It always has been. Brian Lohan knows him as well as anyone.

Have to say Derek McGrath looks like a new man. He looks about 40 while when he was managing he looked about 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I agree with most of that. Limerick struggle to get through the middle at times. Having Lynch and Hannon back will be a big difference in that they take the right decision most of the time. Yesterday Limerick made some porr decisions from the back..lazy 'Brick Walsh' stock passes when a crisp hand pass was needed. Half backs and midfield slowing the release. You cant play O Donovan and William O Donoghue in the same midfield. O Donovan is bang out of form anyway.
    Theres plenty of improvement left in Tipperary but you can sense an unexpected uneasiness in them. As Sheedy said they could have won an All Ireland in years past by now...and slowly but surely the games are beginning to exact a toll on their squad. In a marathon of an all Ireland series their sprinters might run out if gas

bruschi wrote: »
    I hate this sort of logic that the more medals you win, the more value you bring to the table. Walter Burke has 2 more All irelands than Ken McGrath, should he therefore be a better analyst to listen to?

Plus the fact that Jacob herself has 10 Leinsters, 4 all irelands and 4 All stars. If you are going to denigrate her, it shouldnt be about what she or Eddie has won in their careers.

Jacob doesn't really have any experience of what it's like on a match she's commenting on though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Jacob doesn't really have any experience of what it's like on a match she's commenting on though.

If the prerequisite is being allowed to comment on matches by experience only, this message board would be a very lonely place.

Having experience of playing doesnt necessarily mean you can be a good reader or analyst of the game. Derek McGrath had damn all experience as a player. Didnt stop him being a manager or now an analyst.

All i can say without causing any offense is that Eddie knows more than anyone else on the panel what it takes to win and be the best. Hes done it all at the top level.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I agree with most of that. Limerick struggle to get through the middle at times. Having Lynch and Hannon back will be a big difference in that they take the right decision most of the time. Yesterday Limerick made some porr decisions from the back..lazy 'Brick Walsh' stock passes when a crisp hand pass was needed. Half backs and midfield slowing the release. You cant play O Donovan and William O Donoghue in the same midfield. O Donovan is bang out of form anyway.
    Theres plenty of improvement left in Tipperary but you can sense an unexpected uneasiness in them. As Sheedy said they could have won an All Ireland in years past by now...and slowly but surely the games are beginning to exact a toll on their squad. In a marathon of an all Ireland series their sprinters might run out if gas

The losses yesterday were huge and I would have thought that yesterday was the day that Tipp should have cooled the jets and let Limerick have the upper hand. I know momentum is a big thing but going unbeaten in the modern season is extremely difficult too. A down week would have done tipp no harm at all.

• Advertisement

If the prerequisite is being allowed to comment on matches by experience only, this message board would be a very lonely place.

Having experience of playing doesnt necessarily mean you can be a good reader or analyst of the game. Derek McGrath had damn all experience as a player. Didnt stop him being a manager or now an analyst.

A message board doesn't have a requirement of needing to have a clue about the game, paid pundits should.

Derek McGrath clearly showed he knew what he was talking about. I can't imagine his first ever job was senior hurlers..

I mean could you really take it serious if she was saying players should be putting certain shots away or should be going for goal etc. when the womens game is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Half of Davys 'Passion' is an act. It always has been. Brian Lohan knows him as well as anyone.

Exactly. Act or not it doesn't excuse his behaviour on the sidelines. Every manager is passionate, especially those who do it for free, but they don't behave like Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Ken McGrath & Ursula Jacob are excellent pundits, the SG producers are slowly culling the deadwood from the set.

Eddie Brennan can't hide his dislike of Tipp though, apparently they cheated yesterday with the Limerick puckouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

With all due respect to the leinster counties, they are the not the strongest right now.

Limerick, tipp, cork and have better forwards IMO, they'll be thrilled galway are gone.

Take limerick and tipp, they have a free crack at winning Munster followed by a Dublin quater final which wouldn't frighten them. Even cork have now 2/3 weeks to prepare for kk wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Ken McGrath & Ursula Jacob are excellent pundits, the SG producers are slowly culling the deadwood from the set.

Eddie Brennan can't hide his dislike of Tipp though, apparently they cheated yesterday with the Limerick puckouts

In fairness it's hard for everyone to hide their dislike of Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hard to see Dublin beating either Tipp or Limerick.

"No way," as someone said about Saturday's game :-)

Seriously though, Dublin and Wexford probably be exposed in Thurles. Cats through guile, TJ and your man in the hat will always be capable.

Bit of a hiatus now before the serious hurling starts again. Provincial finals are going to have none of the excitement or consequences of yesterday and Saturday.

Don't see point in McDonagh finalists being in the mix. Last year's games were a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I didn't see the game as it wasn't on TV. People don't tend to comment on something they don't see. Commenting could hardly be classified as outrage. You seem to get very ratty if anyone has the temerity to question the actions of a KK player though.

That’s convenient. That kind of reply is disengenuous at least bordering on hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

In fairness it's hard for everyone to hide their dislike of Tipp

Sounds like you're still hurting after 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

citykat wrote: »
    Wexford have become a nasty cynical side moulded in the personality of their manager. According to him, the whole world is against them. That gets you so far but there comes a time when it gets found out. If Wexford maintain that tactic they're going to see reds with increasing frequency.

Eoin Murphy's first half challenge on Rory O'Connor would certainly fit that description

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Don't see point in McDonagh finalists being in the mix. Last year's games were a farce.

Tokenism pure and simple. The finalists already get to play a national final at Croke Park.

They are getting special treatment that isn't afforded to the finalists of the Ring, Rackard and Meagher Cups.

Advertisement