Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polish-Irish wedding speeches

• 03-06-2019 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We are having our wedding in Poland and was wondering has anyone any experience with speeches.

As I understand speeches are not done in Polish weddings but I would like to say a few words to thank everyone for coming and say a few kind words to the bride.

Would it be best to have someone translate the speech(into polish) line by line as best man and myself are talking or will this seem stunted?

Or maybe have best man and myself say a couple of lines himself in Polish at the end or just no translations or bits in Polish at all.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Hi guys,

We are having our wedding in Poland and was wondering has anyone any experience with speeches.

As I understand speeches are not done in Polish weddings but I would like to say a few words to thank everyone for coming and say a few kind words to the bride.

Would it be best to have someone translate the speech(into polish) line by line as best man and myself are talking or will this seem stunted?

Or maybe have best man and myself say a couple of lines himself in Polish at the end or just no translations or bits in Polish at all.

Any opinions?

I went to an Irish/Polish wedding in Poland. As far as I can remember the Irish side did a few speeches, but noting overly long and someone from the Polish side just conveyed the sentiment (didn't translate word for word) at the end for the Polish guests.

My advice is to have speeches if you want but keep them short and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

SozBbz wrote: »
    I went to an Irish/Polish wedding in Poland. As far as I can remember the Irish side did a few speeches, but noting overly long and someone from the Polish side just conveyed the sentiment (didn't translate word for word) at the end for the Polish guests.

My advice is to have speeches if you want but keep them short and simple.

Thanks Soz, that seems the best approach to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mckildare

I was in that same spot a few years ago, said a few words myself in English to guests from my side and then a couple of sentences in Polish for her side before handing over to the missus to say what she wanted in Polish to her side. My best man was delighted he had nothing to say, guests on both sides were delighted to get stuck into the dancing and eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

mckildare wrote: »
    I was in that same spot a few years ago, said a few words myself in English to guests from my side and then a couple of sentences in Polish for her side before handing over to the missus to say what she wanted in Polish to her side. My best man was delighted he had nothing to say, guests on both sides were delighted to get stuck into the dancing and eating.

Cheers MC

Advertisement