Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Active Hen suggestions?

• 03-06-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Just wanted to organise a cheap and cheerful hen. Basically wanted to have a small gang complete some sort of walk/lake walk/hill walk/ hike/cycle that is manageable for all levels of fitness as there are mixed abilities in hen. Don't want to torture anyone! Plan is to do something active during day followed by pints in a lively bar. A lot of the hens are new mums so hoping to arrange something with short travel for them, preferably in Wicklow/Carlow/Kilkenny area. Did the Waterford greenway already this year and trying to find something similar with a bit of craic at the end of it! Also don't want to do anything with a company or 'organised fun', just something we can do ourselves. Any suggestions very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Plenty of stuff on offer, in the Greater Dublin Area. Glendalough/Powerscourt being some obvious choices, also the Helfire Club walk is good and suitable for all levels. You could also look into climbing the sugar loaf?

I think theres also a cycleway around Carlingford that might be worth looking at, or also a cycleway on part of the canals beyond Dublin.

Also you could look around some of the beaches, Brittas Bay perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Thing about that is that it depends very much on the group. Not just mixed abilities - but also preferences. Personally if I was told there was a was walking thing, I’d say grand and just meet later for the meal. I know I should like that stuff, but I really don’t.

Also, as a lot of the group are new mums, they may prefer a chilled / relaxed / treat thing. I don’t know them, and you do - but just something to bear in mind. If time is precious, I’d prefer relaxed and nice things. I would not be on for an extended walk/hike/cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

A friend had her hen in Glendalough, those interested went for a walk those who werent stayed in the bar in the hotel.
    We stayed in the Glendalough Hotel, had dinner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've heard of it going horribly wrong for those who don't like outdoor activities.

I'm not a new mother myself but I imagine a lot of them would skip the activity if its going to be too active? I'd get feedback from them specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Take a look at go with the flow.ie
    They do canoe trips down the river barrow, fabulous setting & I have seen hens & stags party’s doing it & they all seem to have enjoyed the experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah I'd double check everyone would be up for it. I'd utterly despise a walk like that on a hen. No problem with doing something active enough but walking is literally the most boring thing in the world to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Thanks folks, I have checked it with everyone, we are all a similar type active gang, and anyone who doesn't want to do it, is welcome to skip it and join for meal. It is just supposed to be a relaxed day, as little expense on people as possible etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

MiliMe wrote: »
    A friend had her hen in Glendalough, those interested went for a walk those who werent stayed in the bar in the hotel.
    We stayed in the Glendalough Hotel, had dinner there.

Was there any craic in the hotel that evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    Was there any craic in the hotel that evening?

There was about 40 of us there so we had craic but there wasn't many other people there, tho it was early April so quiet enough for glendalough.

Advertisement