Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over-priced consumer technology?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Come on now, apple are at this game to, there's a reason why they've been investing billions in data center's around the world!

For Icloud. Authorised upload of documents.

That’s not the same as tracking and letting every 3rd parry track everything.

Come on now lads, tax avoidance and data collection is the aim of the game in this business, and apple aren't exactly squeaky clean in these departments, going to a talk on this later, should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Come on now lads, tax avoidance and data collection is the aim of the game in this business, and apple aren't exactly squeaky clean in these departments, going to a talk on this later, should be interesting

None of this is an answer to my explanation. In fact Apple make it hard to track devices for 3rd party apps.

And apples model isn’t data collection, it’s hardware sales. Google obviously need to track people across sites, even devices, to maintain its advertising model. If you are getting something for free then you are the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

None of this is an answer to my explanation. In fact Apple make it hard to track devices for 3rd party apps.

And apples model isn’t data collection, it’s hardware sales. Google obviously need to track people across sites, even devices, to maintain its advertising model. If you are getting something for free then you are the product.

No need to track Apple fans,they come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Do people actually believe this nonsense? Apple are collecting data just like any other technology firm, this is a part of their business model, yes there are probably worse offender's out there, but just like apples blatant global tax avoidance, which I think apple have been unfairly singled out in, all of them are in the business of data collection, to be used for the act of 'wealth extraction'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Do people actually believe this nonsense? Apple are collecting data just like any other technology firm, this is a part of their business model, yes there are probably worse offender's out there, but just like apples blatant global tax avoidance, which I think apple have been unfairly singled out in, all of them are in the business of data collection, to be used for the act of 'wealth extraction'

I know exactly how the technology on both platforms work. Apple make it impossible to collect device information that’s easy on android like the MAC address of a device. And they, once again, do not make the bulk of their money from advertising so don’t need the tracking that google needs. A simple glance at their profits and what generates profits for them would clearly show that. You’d think the people who caterwaul about high iPhone prices would get it. Apple isn’t really an internet company. It’s a manufacturing company (albeit outsourced). It does have a growing services industry but that’s stuff that is paid for directly not by advertising.

I didn’t say anything about tax avoidance. Although since Apple ponied up the 13Bn that’s not true either.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »

What am I missing out on by not using an Apple product? Do you really need to buy into the full eco system to see the benefits? My only experience with the company is a 1st gen iPod Touch which still works! Must be ten years old at this stage.

You don’t need to be in the full eco system as imo apple make better and nicer hardware, better software and the integration of the two is much better meaning the performance is better (even where the headline specs might look inferior).

But when you have all the devices they all work together so well and it’s somwthing non-apple users don’t really know anything about. I have a MacBook, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch and and all 4 work together so well, for a quick example even the small things like the watch unlocks the Mac automatically (so no entering a password) or the way you can take/make network calls on the Mac or iPad without touching the phone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI%E2%80%93Apple_encryption_dispute

Another example of where apple won’t just hand over data or allow back doors.

Also I really cannot fathom why anyone has an issue with tax avoidance. It’s perfrtly legal and any company or person who doesn’t engage in it is a fool. Do you pay tax you can legally avoid, I know I certainly don’t and investigate any possible way I can reduce my tax bill legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Captcha wrote: »
    Apple design their own CPU's/GPU but dont manufacture them and are actually a few years ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to CPU's. They are as fast as full laptops with fans these days and Apple is rumored to be working on new laptops with hybrid cpu's to include the iPhone ones.

I assume you are talking about the A12X which has shown it can do very well on a short, and limited, benchmark.

Not dismissing the achievement, as it's impressive for a mobile CPU, but it's not a real world test, or even close to one.

I have noticed people claiming 'it's as good as an i7' (and you're alluding to the same with the comments about laptops) despite there being zero evidence to support that, aside from one incredibly cherry-picked, limited benchmark which would not remotely represent real-world scenarios.

I'm not in the know about mobile CPU's so perhaps in the ARM race they're ahead of all their competitors, but they are certainly not 'years ahead' of Intel or AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You don’t need to be in the full eco system as imo apple make better and nicer hardware, better software and the integration of the two is much better meaning the performance is better (even where the headline specs might look inferior).

But when you have all the devices they all work together so well and it’s somwthing non-apple users don’t really know anything about. I have a MacBook, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch and and all 4 work together so well, for a quick example even the small things like the watch unlocks the Mac automatically (so no entering a password) or the way you can take/make network calls on the Mac or iPad without touching the phone.
    It's easy to get stuff to work together when you have proprietary interfaces that others can't access.

Also I really cannot fathom why anyone has an issue with tax avoidance. It’s perfrtly legal and any company or person who doesn’t engage in it is a fool. Do you pay tax you can legally avoid, I know I certainly don’t and investigate any possible way I can reduce my tax bill legally.
    The issue isn't so much with individuals or companies that minimise their tax liability. The issue is with Governments that allow massive organisations like Apple, Google and Facebook to pay less tax than a corner shop.

It's easy to get stuff to work together when you have proprietary interfaces that others can't access.

The issue isn't so much with individuals or companies that minimise their tax liability. The issue is with Governments that allow massive organisations like Apple, Google and Facebook to pay less tax than a corner shop.

There's a reason they allow them to pay less tax. FDI accounts for in in five private sector jobs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/one-in-five-now-employed-by-foreign-multinationals-1.2486929

kneemos wrote: »
    There's a reason they allow them to pay less tax. FDI accounts for in in five private sector jobs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/one-in-five-now-employed-by-foreign-multinationals-1.2486929

So why should they get away with paying less tax than the employers of other other four out of five private sector jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

So why should they get away with paying less tax than the employers of other other four out of five private sector jobs?

Because it's a handful of companies who employ 20% of workers. They very well might only be there due to tax incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Used to be an iPhone user but then I had one stolen on me about 5 years ago. Had to buy a cheap but functional handset quickly and did a bit of research and bought a moto G on Amazon. Am now on my third moto G (G5) and they do everything I need them to. Reliable fast and easy to use. Just can't justify walking round with nearly a grands worth of tech in my pocket - that said I'm a big fan of the iPad. I actually think they're good value for money. My current one is now 6 years old. A few chips and cracks around the edge but it's a workhorse. Can't update iOS anymore so it's time for a new one. But as the last one cost me just a fiver a month (399 purchase price divided by 6 years divided by 12 months) I see it as really good value. Even if the new one only lasts 3 yrs. They have even dropped in price. Equivalent model now is only 369 -

TL:DR - Find something that does the job you need it in the price range you can afford and don't worry what everyone else is spending their money on.

Because it's a handful of companies who employ 20% of workers. They very well might only be there due to tax incentives.

What has being a handful of companies got to do with it? If tax policy is to be based around company size, then the low rates should apply to large indigenous firms?

What has being a handful of companies got to do with it? If tax policy is to be based around company size, then the low rates should apply to large indigenous firms?

You don't need to attract indigenous firms to the country.

We're pretty good at attracting FDI apparently.

kneemos wrote: »
    You don't need to attract indigenous firms to the country.

We're pretty good at attracting FDI apparently.
    But you need to keep the indigenous firms, to stop them expanding overseas instead of here, right?

Yeah, we're pretty good at attracting FDI firms by letting them away with paying almost no tax. That doesn't mean it is a good thing.

It's easy to get stuff to work together when you have proprietary interfaces that others can't access

I see this as a good thing tbh, it’s much more secure and works better. Much like the App Store doesn’t allow any old rubbish and virus riddlers apps like the play store.

I see this as a good thing tbh, it’s much more secure and works better. Much like the App Store doesn’t allow any old rubbish and virus riddlers apps like the play store.
    It's a good thing until you find that there is no software that meets your needs on the App store. So when you need to be able to top up your Luas card without going to a Luas stop, it is not a good thing. You need an Android phone for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Odysseus Mouse

It's a good thing until you find that there is no software that meets your needs on the App store. So when you need to be able to top up your Luas card without going to a Luas stop, it is not a good thing. You need an Android phone for that.

It's ridiculous how locked down NFC is on Apple hardware. This would be so convenient for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Strange. I never had any viruses or security issues on Android since day one.

And then there is the simple question of needing to add memory to a phone - with Android, you simply buy a micro-SD card of your choice - any size, any manufacturer.

How's those iPhones when you need extra memory?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

mammajamma wrote: »
    Televisions, generally, have become cheaper over time. You can see companies trying to inject new (useless) angles like 3d, 4k, 8k, etc. But nobody seems to want them, hence the price direction.

How have the other technologies managed to swindle people?

Why are you lying? Ive been watching 4k HDR blu rays for the past couple months and its a blast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

Apple is for people that don't understand technology and buy them as fashion accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Anything made by Apple.

Anyone I know who owns an apple iphone has a damaged screen. I have dropped my Samsung phones loads over the years + not a scratch on them. It's like Apple purposely make the screen crap so people have to pay a fortune to fix it. The mind boggles why people put up with it.

Frunchy wrote: »
    Apple is for people that don't understand technology and buy them as fashion accessories.

Why is that a bad thing? Ingrained into the DNA of humanity is the love for shiny things. Why are you denying basic human nature? If its nice people will buy it.

appledrop wrote: »
    Anything made by Apple.

Anyone I know who owns an apple iphone has a damaged screen. I have dropped my Samsung phones loads over the years + not a scratch on them. It's like Apple purposely make the screen crap so people have to pay a fortune to fix it. The mind boggles why people put up with it.

You... honestly cant think of why someone might choose gorilla glass over plastic?

Frunchy wrote: »

How often will this clueless comment be rolled out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How often will this clueless comment be rolled out?

Probably the same amount of times that the "every Android phone is a virus riddled mess" clueless content is rolled out.

Both lazy myths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For most people iPhones and high end Androids are overpriced for what they need it for.

In reality a mid range Android would meet most people's needs but those who initially jumped on the Apple train naturally have a bit of fear about the switch.

I work in IT and used an iPhone for 2 years before switching to Android 8 years ago and sometimes feel like a complete motion trying to navigate my wife's iPhone (and the reverse is true).

My days of buying flagship are well and truly gone, give me adequate performance and a good battery and I am sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can apply this to everything. Anything at all that is bought and sold , not just technology.

Sun screen for example. Factor 30 blocks 97% of UV rays. Factor 50 blocks 98% and has higher levels of skin damaging chemicals. Bigger seller even though it is more expensive and arguably worse for you? You guessed it. The F50.

Wine. Discernible differences between 30 euro bottle and 100 euro bottle? Maybe for some people, but not most of us.

Food. Restaurants offering wildly different price points. Fashionable food trends like chia seeds etc.

Clothes. Art.

The address where you live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Anything computer related. Anything with alien ware on it, same for razr. Nvidia

Advertisement