Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WDYTYA Ireland

• 09-09-2018 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Ya'll looking forward to the new series on RTE tonight ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yep. Can't watch live but will record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cyrus T Buford

Yes!! Will be interesting!

Who is first up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Damien Dempsey.

Well, they packed in a lot to one episode.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

It jumped around a lot, still didn't find the origin of the name Dempsey. I would have liked to see them trace the Canadian line. Some very interesting people in his lineage. Plenty of inspiration for song writing for Damien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

jos28 wrote: »
    It jumped around a lot, still didn't find the origin of the name Dempsey. I would have liked to see them trace the Canadian line. Some very interesting people in his lineage. Plenty of inspiration for song writing for Damien

As an Irish-Canadian dual national I would say the same. Pity they didn't. Where in Canada was he from? And where did he originate before that? Missed opportunity that I think.

They probably couldn't trace him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Interesting episode.

I was hoping they'd deal with the Bridgeman side of his family as I have so far been unable to connect his branch to the main tree which I descend from. Those 1841 Freedom of Dublin entries certainly seem to suggest that they are all of the one family but as ever [and perhaps understandably] the programme was short on the sort of detail that we genealogy nuts crave.

Where can I go or who could I talk to to find out more?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Timeline did all the research. They might not be willing to share it though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

But what about the 1841 Freemen of Dublin?
    Where can I view that or make further enquiries re same?

Just rang Dublin City Archives and hope to hear back from the archivist in due course.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    They probably couldn't trace him.

Yeah, that's a definite possibility. I enjoyed the episode overall, I'm a huge supporter of Damien, I've a lot of time for him.

I got a reply from Timeline. As Pinky suggested they were limited in what they could say but the reply was helpful nonetheless.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Check out John Grenham's blog today.  He has worked on Dempsey's ancestry for three years but it was not mentioned on the show tho they used his research.  Dempsey had to pretend to be surprised.  Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That series reminds me of a local supermarket’s ‘special offer’ on wine. You try a bottle (watch an episode), like it and buy a case (watch the series). But, and it’s always a big ‘but’, the others rarely live up to expectation, are rubbish and leave a sour taste.

I missed the Dempsey episode, saw Short last night. Very disappointing and made worse by an assumption that the audience are total idiots. The granduncle was described several times as a ‘James Bond’ character in London during WW2. We are informed that he trained in the Irish Army’s Signal Corps, where he was a ‘radio engineer’. No proof supplied. He was not an officer: most of the enlisted men in Signals were trained as linesmen or as radio operators (radio technique/Morse code); very, very few were radio engineers, almost all of those were officers because the qualification was one that required several years of study, with either City & Guilds exams or / and part-time attendance at Kevin St. Tech. (as it was called in those days). Soldiers enlisted, they were trained, they left and they invariably became ships radio officers having served their time or bought their way out. No proof for sexing it up, Shortt’s granduncle worked in a factory making electronics, no more. The ‘Bond / secrecy’ banter was mere nonsense, everyone was told not to talk, “Walls have ears!” and he was as close to being James Bond as a girl on a munitions factory line in Birmingham.

It also is disappointing that despite the frequent mentions of the Limerick connection and the opening shot of the village sign of ‘Castleconnell’ the area got no further mention. For example, a John Shortt (of Nevis and the Windward Islands) was a Cromwellian-era adventurer who with his daughter had property in Castleconnell after the Commonwealth. Some research on that – even to rule them out - would have contributed to making an interesting programme, but possibly it would not have enough ‘oohh, aah’ for a gullible audience.

It was nice to see Des Marnane getting an airing, his books/articles on Tipperary are invaluable for those with a connection there.

Best, as Grenham says, to enjoy the series like Bismarck’s sausages. Quite suitable to occupy couch potatoes, but ……………..

Well said Pedro!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Check out John Grenham's blog today.  He has worked on Dempsey's ancestry for three years but it was not mentioned on the show tho they used his research.  Dempsey had to pretend to be surprised.  Interesting.

They didn't actually use John's research. Who Do You Think You Are? just ended up finding out the same information as John. They didn't steal John's work. The people working on the show weren't to know that Damien had already gotten John to do this research. How were they to know if Damien didn't inform them? I'm not putting any blame on the research team anyway. It was only Damien who was being a bit dishonest about it but I can understand why he did it since it allows for an interesting story to be aired about his family.

That explanation was added after the original post.

VirginiaB wrote: »
    That explanation was added after the original post.

I assume that the explanation that you're referring to is his reply to your post on the blog. However, he hasn't changed his original blog post (at least not since I read it before seeing the Boards post and I'm sure he would have added it as an edit at the end). He made it clear in the article that they didn't steal his work without the need for an explanation from the following:
    So I emailed the friend responsible for organising the show’s research and asked her “Wtf?” She had never heard of my research. So nobody stole my work. She had had to duplicate it because she didn’t know it existed. I then emailed the bould Damien and asked him “Wtf?” And he responded that he hadn’t told the production company about my research. Wtf? He didn’t say why, but I presume part of the deal was that he had to be discovering things onscreen at the same time as the viewer and so had to be able to feign ignorance.

I read the blog post on 17 Sept and posted here.  I believe it was clarified afterwards and, with due respect, that is what you read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I didn't enjoy either first or second programme. Regarding Damien Dempsy's one, I never felt he showed much interest in what he was being told. Little did I know that he already knew it. Pat Shortt's programme was a disappointment, I had too many questions at the end of it. In the trailer Bertie Aherne said he hoped they don't find any Royals. I wait with bated breath! On a more positive note, I loved John Grenham's blog post about Damien! :D

• Advertisement

Some interesting stories in tonight's episode.
    Just a shame they forgot about the genealogy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

jos28 wrote: »

Dempsey is a real Laois name. The clan were centrally involved in the Massacre of Mullaghmast in 1577.

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_irish/history_irish_mullaghmast.htm Bottom of article.

This wouldn't go down well with Damien Dempsey!:D

Surprised no one mentioned Laois as it's the Dempsey homeland. Even a GAA club called O'Dempseys in Laois in an area around Killenard, Portarlington which is called O'Dempsey country. Surely historians and researchers knew one of the most obvious areas where Damien's ancestors came from. Probably Mullaghmast didn't fit the narrative. And their often seems to be a narrative in picking a certain side that bear qualities of the celebrity on WDYTYA.

Samantha Power and the Borans was interesting for me as i'm a local. Nicksy was a great union man for the local miners.

Funny the way traits reappear through the generations.

I've watched both Pat Shortt and Samantha Power's episodes tonight (having been away, hence the quietness of my posting!)

Enjoyed PS's father saying "I knew that" several times at the end. I can totally relate to that experience with my own family. Think Pedro might be a little harsh - they always edit out the donkey work and it's quite possible they obtained MoD records.

SP's story was overall more interesting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The revelation that Dempsey had already done lots of (paid) research and didn't tell the producers is mad! Very disingenuous of him. Hard to believe they wouldn't check what had already been done. It's my first question when I begin research for anyone.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The revelation that Dempsey had already done lots of (paid) research and didn't tell the producers is mad! Very disingenuous of him. Hard to believe they wouldn't check what had already been done. It's my first question when I begin research for anyone.

It's possible that they did check with him but he played ignorant. The start of the episode is always meant to be them getting any information available from relatives. Pat Shortt's father brought out a proper book that he made on the family so in his case, he was definitely trying his best to show that the family already had done some research and were hoping to find out more.

I remember years ago that Nigella Lawson's family had lots of research already done, which they showed at the start. There was plenty of flack at the time but I still thought they made an interesting show from, and she was personally very likable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Enjoyed PS's father saying "I knew that" several times at the end. I can totally relate to that experience with my own family. Think Pedro might be a little harsh - they always edit out the donkey work and it's quite possible they obtained MoD records..
    I might be ‘a little harsh’ Pinky but as you know I don’t ‘do’ BS and the Pat Short programme was heavily loaded with it. Whatever about ‘editing out donkeywork’, calling a soldier a ‘Radio Engineer’ and sexing up his work as ‘Q’ in James Bond without any proof other than a photograph of a factory is on a similar level to describing a clerk in charge of the petty cash as the ‘corporate finance director’.

The facts are clear. Shortt’s uncle Brendan was not a commissioned officer. He might have had a radio technician qualification but he was not a ‘radio engineer’. Actually, pre-WW2 very few Irish Army officers held a degree (generally those that did were either musicians, doctors or engineers and entered the army already qualified) and it would have been unheard of for a soldier to be a graduate. In the Signal Corps (where Shortt served) it was a rarity for an officer to be technically qualified beyond a Brit. I.R.E (British Institute of Radio Engineers) cert or diploma, or more generally a radio technician’s qualification from Kevin St. Any degree-level person in the army of the 1930’s would have been assured of a permanent pensionable job and rapid promotion due to the ‘Emergency’.

I’d guess that Shortt’s uncle took the boat like many others and was put working in a factory that made radar, then a highly secret device. I’d bet he was on the assembly line, a bloke with a screwdriver. He most likely worked for a company like GEC or Cossor who were contractors - both had 'shadow factories'. He would not have worked for the MoD. I agree it was important defence work and secret but the use of the ‘James Bond’ terminology is utter nonsense and the makers do genealogical research a disservice. Harsh perhaps, but true.
    What would be nice would be a lucid programme on genealogy, but that is not what the series is about.

Watching Bertie episode. Halfway through and best so far I feel.

• Advertisement

Really? They barely went past his grandparents and only dipped a toe into the 19th century, let alone any earlier. Bertie's family's divided republican past might be interesting but it's far from a thorough genealogical investigation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement