Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Well, what I was really thinking was who in our garage put them there. Never heard of ACRA before I seen the leaflets.

Defined in one of the docs as "Administration of Combined Residence Association"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

These leaflets have popped up all over the bus garage. With some interesting views on saving the bus service. No idea who put there there.

http://www.acratu.com/assets/quay-bus-flow-2018.pdf

http://www.acratu.com/assets/civic-plaza-solution.pdf

Ex-Dublin Bus driver Tom Newton. He's involved with ACRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Contra flow ideas seem solid IMO. As does his plaza ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

thomasj wrote: »
    It's a fair point but the other option would be standing at the bus stop for another 20 minutes so j understand why people do it .

In fairness, in my case I've never been on a bus where the driver has let people stand on the stairs or upstairs. It's a no no!

It's always crammed downstairs though

This is no normal service since the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

These leaflets have popped up all over the bus garage. With some interesting views on saving the bus service. No idea who put there there.

I think the new pedestrian area in the link looks bigger than the actual physical space there, it's not a big area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

DB since BXD opening has been absolute pants in the core

I cannot see any way of improving it unless we pull BXD which wont happen

Removing Cars wont do it , or taxis or even both

Cars off Bachelors is lipstick on a pig it wont fix it but its D'Olier and College St thats the problem and thats all buses and LUAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The problem in my opinion is not College Green it's the lack of alternative routes to College Green aren't either heavily congested by cars and taxis or going to leave passengers miles from their destination in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

trellheim wrote: »
    DB since BXD opening has been absolute pants in the core

I cannot see any way of improving it unless we pull BXD which wont happen

Removing Cars wont do it , or taxis or even both

Cars off Bachelors is lipstick on a pig it wont fix it but its D'Olier and College St thats the problem and thats all buses and LUAS

Removing cars off Bachelor's Walk, Burgh Quay, Eden Quay, and the other quay is not about making the buses flow more smoothly through College Green, it's about opening up alternative routes for those buses. Do that, and you can easily route buses via Tara Street and Parliament Street (which could and should be made two way), and the amount of cars in areas around the banned zones would naturally decrease too as they shift further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is it true that taxis will be banned going South on CG on 12th March in the mornings? Haven't heard much about it. Maybe was just a rumour.

The ACRA proposals should be looked at. Doesn't matter about the origin, it suggests a solution of sorts which no one else has to date apart from banning this and that.

But will the suggestions be examined I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

anyone got links to the council minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

The description and diagrams are confusing. Just on the contra-flow, the footpath along the Quays are too narrow for bus stops. You could hardly fit woman walking with a pram and people waiting on a bus. Granted it would provide the opportunity to widen the path and clear out the car parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Is it true that taxis will be banned going South on CG on 12th March in the mornings? Haven't heard much about it. Maybe was just a rumour.

The ACRA proposals should be looked at. Doesn't matter about the origin, it suggests a solution of sorts which no one else has to date apart from banning this and that.

But will the suggestions be examined I wonder?

Seems to be: https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/taxis-college-green-ban-14372107 (most recent article on it I could find, others are from Feb). Can see it being a mess and lots of ignorance pleaded if they don't publicise it a bit more between now and Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure there are no signs on O'Connell bridge to say no right turn onto Eden quay

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

In my opinion, there seems to be 2 different issues at play around college green.
    1. The Pearse St, College St. junction where you have several lanes merging together to try and fit into 1 going down college green.
    2. The buses turning right at college green towards Dame St. The filter lane isn't long enough to handle them.
    It's interesting to note that both of these areas were changed from the design drawings and the new cycle lane was added.
    Would a contra flow on D'Olier st help matters?
    If they could add an extra lane at the trinity luas stop junction (ie. split buses going up Grafton and Dame), it would improve matters significantly. Space would be tight but it would be possible. I would also be in favour of moving all traffic to the BOI side of college green and creating a new plaza on the other side. This would be the best of both worlds scenario where you still have a plaza but you also have buses travelling through college green. Also because the distance the buses going to Dame st. would have to travel is reduced, it could be accommodated in 1 traffic cycle, removing the need for the filter lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Social Democrats now opposing these crazy plan to make a plaza in the middle of one of the busiest traffic junctions in Dublin.

http://www.thejournal.ie/college-green-4-3895429-Mar2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Took 25 mins to get from one end of Pearse St bus gate to the other yesterday.

Result was one outward lap being cancelled .
    Lots of cold folk waiting for another 20 min on top of the original wait for another bus that might also not arrive.

They need to be taking action on this crap now.
    People should be taking to the street and protesting about this complete and otter disaster brought on by high payed designers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stopping taxis heading South will only help the LUAS. It does nothing for buses getting caught on the North Quays and O'Connell Street, and does nothing for the Red Line LUAS.

Everything is about the Green line LUAS from what I can see. Get onto your politicians if you don't like it.

hmmm wrote: »
    Stopping taxis heading South will only help the LUAS. It does nothing for buses getting caught on the North Quays and O'Connell Street, and does nothing for the Red Line LUAS.

Everything is about the Green line LUAS from what I can see. Get onto your politicians if you don't like it.

It'll definitely help buses heading through College Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

MJohnston wrote: »
    How?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

How?
    Taxis occupying the right filter west onto Dame st for one.

• Advertisement

How?

Because taxis heading south through College Green are filling up the right turn to Dame Street filter lane (which isn't that big), which blocks both trams but also buses that are heading both onto Dame Street, but also straight onto Grafton/Nassau Street.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

donvito99 wrote: »
    Another way to look at this fiasco.

Please don't fix posts. It's against the rules as it causes confusion / annoyance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The description and diagrams are confusing. Just on the contra-flow, the footpath along the Quays are too narrow for bus stops. You could hardly fit woman walking with a pram and people waiting on a bus. Granted it would provide the opportunity to widen the path and clear out the car parking spaces.

Imaginative use of the "Boardwalk" principle would go a great way towards solving this issue.

The benefits of the Tom Newton proposal would most assuredly be in favour of Bus Passengers,but the knock-on effects would be felt across the modes.

Eliminating those ultra problematic bus right-turns is enough of itself to merit a thorough inspection of this proposal.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Because taxis heading south through College Green are filling up the right turn to Dame Street filter lane (which isn't that big), which blocks both trams but also buses that are heading both onto Dame Street, but also straight onto Grafton/Nassau Street.

In the short-term,and assuming the edge-tinkering with morning Taxi's will not achieve a lot,some consideration should be given to allowing buses to travel on the Southbound Luas line along the College Wall...as they do on Dawson Street.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Imaginative use of the "Boardwalk" principle would go a great way towards solving this issue.

The benefits of the Tom Newton proposal would most assuredly be in favour of Bus Passengers,but the knock-on effects would be felt across the modes.

Eliminating those ultra problematic bus right-turns is enough of itself to merit a thorough inspection of this proposal.

I like the contra-flow proposal and certainly think it's worthy of consideration. The only issue, if I read it correctly, is that it eliminates all practical possibility of buses overtaking each other? That's assuming high traffic volumes travelling in the opposing direction.

I'll be honest and say reopening Suffolk St to vehicular traffic - in any direction - would be a retrograde step. Even in it's current form it's a vastly better street (for the people actually using it, rather than passing through it) than it was before being closed off. I also remember many contributors to this board pointing out just how dangerous it used to be in it's old guise.

Parliament St and Tara St are better solutions than Suffolk St.

I also expect Bus Connects to result in many more tangential routes which will skirt the core but not actually pass through it. So many of the current issues will cease to be problems then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I also expect Bus Connects to result in many more tangential routes which will skirt the core but not actually pass through it. So many of the current issues will cease to be problems then anyway.

by all accounts the Luas Cross-City trams are not that busy (even with the service not running at full capacity) - it would make sense for more bus routes to feed into the Luas at SSG and Parnell Sq rather than proceeding through CG. I assume that's one of the things Bus Connects will look at.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Woeful commute this morning. Was 20 minutes later than I was last week, which was already late as it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Woeful commute this morning. Was 20 minutes later than I was last week, which was already late as it was.

Indeed, it was terrible this morning and the quays were all backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How is CG now that taxis are banned
    Passing by the other way this morning and saw a Garda there with flashing bike and didn't seem to notice any taxis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

loyatemu wrote: »
    by all accounts the Luas Cross-City trams are not that busy (even with the service not running at full capacity)

Wouldn't really surprise me. I live and work beside luas stops but the 7 stop trip isn't even close to competitive with walking, even before factoring in that you can be waiting 15 to 20 minutes for a luas even at peak times.

Advertisement