Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's Old Bottleknecks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A lot of these places were only truly grim on a friday around 6pm ....in fairness .

I made O Connell Bridge - Eyre Square 20 years ago in 2 hours and with only Athlone Palmerstown and Lucan bypassed at that time , I had to go through all the rest of the problem spots starting with Leixlip ...but they were empty early in the morning .

.........was there a helicopter involved??:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

deccurley wrote: »
    .........was there a helicopter involved??:eek:

More like 6am of a bank holiday Sunday morning, I'd think.

A bottleneck's only a bottleneck when there are other cars around - I've gone a constant [speed censored] around the south side of the M25 before, when its normally infamous across Europe as a car park. It was at 5am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Newry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Ardee and Ratoath

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ignore this, got my head backwards and was explaining why ratoath wasn't a bottleneck anymore then remember the purpose of the thread is to list ones that aren't....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Good thread.

We drive Dub- Killarney often , have done since 2001.

When we started.

Kildare , Monasterevin, Mountrath, then Limerick , the bypass there has I reckon saved 15-30 mins of the journey .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MYOB wrote: »
    More like 6am of a bank holiday Sunday morning, I'd think.

5am of a sunny morning in June, nothing on the road. I never travelled anywhere on a friday/sunday afternoon if I could help it and I still don't unless there is a motorway or train involved .

Back to bottlenecks

Oranmore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    5am of a sunny morning in June, nothing on the road. I never travelled anywhere on a friday/sunday afternoon if I could help it and I still don't unless there is a motorway or train involved .

Back to bottlenecks

Oranmore :(

Anyone ever watch that film "Cars" about how upset everyone is in the town when the highway is built passed it.

Tough titties talking trucks is all ill say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ballyshannon/Bundoran
    Carrickmacross

Although not part of our 'national' network, the bypasses/ring roads at Omagh, Newtownstewart and Strabane have been an improvement to the Donegal-Dublin route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mysterious wrote: »
    People forget that Limerick is one of the only cities along with Waterford that still has a national route through its city centre.
    Do you check anything before you type? Dublin and Cork have a load of national routes forming city streets too. :rolleyes: Pretty much every city in Ireland (inc. NI) has national routes or primary routes through its centre!

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    People forget that Limerick is one of the only cities along with Waterford that still has a national route through its city centre./QUOTE]
    Do you check anything before you type? Dublin and Cork have a load of national routes forming city streets too. :rolleyes: Pretty much every city in Ireland (inc. NI) has national routes or primary routes through its centre!

In fairness to mysterious, im sure he meant that the other cities have bypasses that lead you to not have to use roads like the N1/2/3/4/11 right into their middle.

Although...Sligos N4 goes right to city centre too.

Nonetheless i have my popcorn at the ready. Arguments with Mysterious on this forum have become like celebrity deathmatch..without the celebrities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What about bypasses that themselves became bottlenecks? Kill (N7) on a friday evening saw traffic backed up from the lights all the way to Rathcoole sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

How about Swords , the only town where the bypass was bypassed .....

I used to drive from Blanch to Feltrim , often cut past the a/port and up the old N1 to where Pavilions now is ..... it was horrible .

What about bypasses that themselves became bottlenecks? Kill (N7) on a friday evening saw traffic backed up from the lights all the way to Rathcoole sometimes!

Kinnegads non-motorway bypass can get busy at times. Same for Loughreas.

Enfields, while not busy IS brutal and thats if you dont get stuck at the lights.

M50 can be a bottleneck. I used to always question people who recommend "avoid the M50" at rush hours until i tried doing it a couple of times. For instance Leixlip-Clonee-Blanch can be much quicker that M4-N4-N50-Blanch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

:D Oh oh and another whack.

Murphaph, Murphaph what do we do with you??

I said Limerick was a more of a through road for national traffic, the other cities have national routes that merely end or begin at arrival. It doesn't only have national routes forming its streets but its also the main east-west and north south crossroads of this country. Limerick is also a major crossing of the River Shannon.

Limerick still is a huge national traffic bottleneck,
    The city centre and Dock/Dublin roads still suffer chronic national route traffic despite the southern ring road in place.

Some of the routes
    Cork - Galway
    Wateford Galway
    Kerry - Dublin (bypassed)
    Clare - Dublin
    North Cork - Dublin (bypassed)

These routes use the main streets of Limerick STILL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Enfields, while not busy IS brutal and thats if you dont get stuck at the lights.

Swords
    Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Loughrea (2010)

Anyone like to add any others (I'm sure there are plenty)?

serfboard wrote: »
    Swords
    Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Loughrea (2010)

Cahir, Mitchelstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Bards

:D Oh oh and another whack.

Murphaph, Murphaph what do we do with you??

I said Limerick was a more of a through road for national traffic, the other cities have national routes that merely end or begin at arrival.

erm, Waterford City (until the bypass is finished) is the main route for Cork/Rosslare traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

serfboard wrote: »
    Swords
    Kinnegad
    Enfield
    Loughrea (2010)

Dublin - ORR is a partial solution.
    Balbriggan - Harry Reynolds road - Although I dunno if this was built before or after the M1.
    Dundalk

I don't think it's fair to say Loughrea will be bypassed, The route from Ballinasloe to Athenry goes so far away from Loughrea, there's no way you could reasonably go from near Craughwell to say the N65 on the second bypass(M6). If you look at a map you'll see how much of a detour the current road takes to get from Ballinasloe to Galway.
    It's actually one of the sensible choices made building the Motorway network. as opposed to linking bypasses together....

Bards wrote: »
    erm, Waterford City (until the bypass is finished) is the main route for Cork/Rosslare traffic

I mentioned that on the previous page if you looked.

• Advertisement

Cahir, Mitchelstown.

They were mentioned already.

They were mentioned already.

Not in relation to serfboard's question they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Bards

I mentioned that on the previous page if you looked.

Nope, not on the previous page, or the page before that, but on the very first page you did mention it, so why did you then say :

"Limerick was a more of a through road for national traffic, the other cities have national routes that merely end or begin at arrival."

We are not mind readers on here

Not in relation to serfboard's question they weren't.

It was mentioned in my first post,

I'm not your gatekeeper to remind you.:rolleyes:

Bards wrote: »
    Nope, not on the previous page, or the page before that, but on the very first page you did mention it, so why did you then say :

"Limerick was a more of a through road for national traffic, the other cities have national routes that merely end or begin at arrival."

We are not mind readers on here

I said it, are you going to have a hissy fit over which page now?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Giuseppe90

Moate definitely ranked up there

It was mentioned in my first post,

I'm not your gatekeeper to remind you.:rolleyes:

And again, not in the context of serfboards post. You're wrong (again), just drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I hate the Loughrea Bypass. They managed to build the whole thing with continuous white line ao there's no chance whatsoever for overtaking. I know it's going to be an R road in the long run but that's no excuse for doing such an aweful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

KevR wrote: »
    I hate the Loughrea Bypass. They managed to build the whole thing with continuous white line ao there's no chance whatsoever for overtaking. I know it's going to be an R road in the long run but that's no excuse for doing such an aweful job.

It's a lot better than Dunkellen St or the whole eastern entrance to the town, no overtaking chances there and an average speed of 0 at times....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It's a huge improvement on driving through the town but I still think they could have made it slightly straighter and been a little less enthusiastic with the solid white line (some of it is straight enough to overtake on but they put down solid white regardless).

The link road from East Ballinasloe to the M6 has overtaking opportunties. It's busy at the moment but when the Galway-Ballinasloe motoway opens it will more than likely be less busy than the Loughrea Bypass will be after the motorway opening. The link road is only part of a diversion for 8 or 9 months and it's better than the Loughrea Bypass which is part of the N6 National Primary Route between 2006-2010.

Advertisement