Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoBe Cork - Dublin Airport Expansion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

bk wrote: »
    So, did you even read what I posted?! :confused:

I pointed out a hybrid system that would solve this problem.

- Unlimited bookings until 5pm like at the moment, Aircoach can then arrange for extra buses if needed.
    - Continue to allow for bookings after that up to the number of seats still free on the number of coaches available for that time.

Pretty simple really, I'm not sure why that is hard to understand?

GoBE should also implement the same sort of system. That would also allow them to put extra coaches on for events like Croke Park, etc. Actually there is nothing to say they didn't anyway. Knowing how busy that day was, there is nothing to say that GoBE didn't put on extra coaches and simply increased the number of seats to book online from 50 to 100, etc.

Pretty simple???
    So who do you ring to say I need a coach and driver in an hour because it's busy?
    Private operators don't have busses sitting idle it's that simple it takes advance notice to arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So today I used the new 1600 airport to cork direct service (i.e. the one that now starts in town and goes to the airport to go to Cork).

The price for a single journey has been raised by 1€ to 19€ but if booked with a return journey that leg has been lowered by 1€ to 9€ so that the end result is still 28€ for a return journey.

We left the airport 15 minutes late as the bus only arrived at 1600 and the driver has problems loading the webpage which shows him the passengers.

We arrived at 1924 in Cork after there was a lot of traffic on the M50 and then M8 at points, however giving that previously it would have been nearer to 2000 to arrive the new routing was nice for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

soundman45 wrote: »
    Pretty simple???
    So who do you ring to say I need a coach and driver in an hour because it's busy?
    Private operators don't have busses sitting idle it's that simple it takes advance notice to arrange.

Again, clearly not reading what I'm saying. Operate a hybrid model:

- Until 5pm the day before, allow unlimited bookings (or up to whatever number they feel comfortable that they can easily get extra coaches for with 24 hour notice). Now lets say you now have 75 bookings, they call around to the various contractors to get a spare coach. They now have 100 seats available for that time between two coaches, with 25 seats spare (lets say 50 seats per coach to keep the example simple, I know it differs between coaches).

- After 5pm and up until an hour before departure, allow those 25 seats to be reserved online. Once those 25 are gone, close the bookings online then (obviously this can all happen automatically).

Pretty simple and the best of both worlds with maximum flexibility. It is a little of the current Aircoach model and a little of the current GoBE model.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Certainly I think that the Aircoach system can be improved but operational and financial concerns will come in and this is why you see few bus operators will operate the hybrid system that you propose, if it was so simple everyone would be doing it but yet none of the big operators do.

I think that GoBe have great customer service, great engagement on social media though and they are far better with this side of thing and always have been than Aircoach. Don't get me wrong Aircoach are ahead of where they were in 2012 as far as that is concerned but GoBe still far better and I think that is pretty plain for everyone to see!

Aircoach recently lost what some regard as one of the best commercial and operational minds in the industry. They've gained someone with operational experience but new ideas and more focused on technological change and the customer experience even if they don't have the commercial knowledge of who they replaced (hence why they are recruiting a commercial manager).

In the last few months they've made their website mobile friendly, launched a coach tracker which is based on the leading coach tracking software in the UK, rolled out new ticket machines, new on-board tracking devices and had software custom designed for the first multi-currency contactless system which probably wasn't cheap.

According to this interview as well, they are still very much in the middle of change so it's possible you'll see a little more flexibility with ticketing once it's complete
    The company expects to launch a new mobile ticketing service by the end of December, after which customers who use Aircoach several times a year will be able to buy tickets in bulk and download them to their phones.

Next month, it will roll out a ‘colleague app’ that serves as a kind of staff notice board. Workers will eventually be able to use the app to swap shifts with each other.

The article also mentions that we're going to see a new fleet of coaches from Aircoach, so hopefully the renewed competition from GoBe can help to keep both operators on their toes, since I don't think it's unfair to say that until quite recently, Aircoach had somewhat rested on their laurels and came a little bit complacent with their dominance of the route which was reflected in the lower spec vehicles etc.

GoBe are executing their strategy for the new services well at the moment though, they've not got into the self yield destroying tactics that happened 6 years ago where they cut the price too much and Aircoach easily saw them off and they had to retreat with their tail between their legs. Plus as said before, Aircoach are vulnerable right now, without the commercial experience they had in the past and the fact the person who knows their business inside out for the last decade is now in the BE/GoBe camp.

If GoBe were ever going to make serious inroads into the market share of Aircoach, now is the best chance in the last few years to do it and those chances don't come around very often, so when presented with them you need to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

There was a caller on Red FM complaining about GOBE loading and unloading passengers on the road at Patrick's Quay. The problem is that the tour coaches park on the space designated for GOBE.

It is not really sustainable long term for GOBE to loading and unloading on the road at Patrick's Quay at certain times of the day.

Aircoach have a strong brand and good reputation built up on the Cork route. They will continue to be the dominant player on that route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

devnull wrote: »
    The article also mentions that we're going to see a new fleet of coaches from Aircoach, so hopefully the renewed competition from GoBe can help to keep both operators on their toes, since I don't think it's unfair to say that until quite recently, Aircoach had somewhat rested on their laurels and came a little bit complacent with their dominance of the route which was reflected in the lower spec vehicles etc.

Oh, that is interesting. Any rumours on what they might be? Just newer Panthers or perhaps something a bit higher spec?

I don't think the panthers are a bad coach, but if GoBE are upping their game, then perhaps something a little better speced would keep them in front.

I was just reading about the Plaxton Elite-i overdecker the other day, sounds like a very nice coach, would be nice to see it here.
    devnull wrote: »
    GoBe are executing their strategy for the new services well at the moment though, they've not got into the self yield destroying tactics that happened 6 years ago where they cut the price too much and Aircoach easily saw them off and they had to retreat with their tail between their legs. Plus as said before, Aircoach are vulnerable right now, without the commercial experience they had in the past and the fact the person who knows their business inside out for the last decade is now in the BE/GoBe camp.

It can be hard to tell from the outside, but they do feel a bit busier since they moved out of the bus stations. Still far off full or up to Aircoach yet.

To be honest, they will need to do a lot more to compete with Aircoach. The Volvo's seem to be only ok too, nothing mind blowing, but you can certainly tell they are hand me downs from the Galway fleet. A few years older and a bit rough around the edges. Power plugs rarely work, etc. Nothing like Dublin Coaches maintenance issues, but just seems a bit sloppy if they intend to compete on such a busy route.

Don't get me wrong, still much better then BE and I still take them more often then not due to the more flexible booking options. But the Cork route still fells a bit immature, both Aircoach and GoBE.
    mickmmc wrote: »
    There was a caller on Red FM complaining about GOBE loading and unloading passengers on the road at Patrick's Quay. The problem is that the tour coaches park on the space designated for GOBE.

It is not really sustainable long term for GOBE to loading and unloading on the road at Patrick's Quay at certain times of the day.

Yes, I experienced exactly that this weekend, both arriving and leaving. Both times the coach had to stop on the outside road to load/unload due to tour coaches parked in their spot! Definitely not good.

The issue is due to the works for the new bridge at the Quay, some of the tour coach parking bays have been closed for the building work and rather then parking over on their newly designated street, then are just parking in the GoBE spots!

BTW it wasn't me on Red FM complaining! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

mickmmc wrote: »

Aircoach have a strong brand and good reputation built up on the Cork route. They will continue to be the dominant player on that route.

Coaches parking/loading/unloading on the road is nothing usual along there.

What should probably be done is to make the whole left side of that quay coach parking only, as roughly the lower half of it has cars,but then again there will probably be calls for a cycle lane there as well.

So after the August price increase they now have slashed the one way down to 9.95 with no more discount for booking a return.

9.95 is significantly lower than aircoach and it looks like that price is also available for same day booking.

Lets see if that drives people onto their services because giving how empty they were the last couple of weeks I was wondering how long they could keep this up.

This 9.95€ price seems to drive people onto the service, only my last 3 trips the bus was packed while usualy it would have been empty.

It also looks like Aircoach now charged 10€ if you limit the trip between city and city (airport is 17€).

Gobe does not charge more from/to the airport but aircoach takes 7 more.

It is a little weird, the ad says this is only a limited deal until 30th of November, but may be extended. But then further down on the website they have the old prices.

Perhaps a test to see if this will drive up numbers and of it does they will make this the permanent fare.

GoBE have always been all over the shop with fares, schedules, ticketing. Aircoach have been much more consistent.

But good to see a bit of competition and how it can keep prices down. Hopefully it won't lead to a price war, but a bit more balance between Aircoach and GoBE loadings would be healthy.

• Advertisement

It is a little weird, the ad says this is only a limited deal until 30th of November, but may be extended. But then further down on the website they have the old prices.

Perhaps a test to see if this will drive up numbers and of it does they will make this the permanent fare.

GoBE have always been all over the shop with fares, schedules, ticketing. Aircoach have been much more consistent.

But good to see a bit of competition and how it can keep prices down. Hopefully it won't lead to a price war, but a bit more balance between Aircoach and GoBE loadings would be healthy.

Aircoach are still using demand based pricing on their services, there isn't a flat €10 fare that has been claimed earlier on the thread, as a test by checking out a few dates have shown on their website.

The lack of reaction from Aircoach is poor commercial decision making - they fought this off last time all those years ago by undercutting GoBe by €1 which made them have to retreat heavily and raise prices as not only did GoBe not attract that many more customers, they were getting less from their existing patrons, that made GoBe perform even worse which made the services lose even more money.

As the market leader on this route a similar strategy to go to say €9.50 for as long as GoBe were charging €10 would have both retained customers and also harmed the yields of their competitor. This would have then forced GoBe into the same kind of retreat as before, but alas Aircoach no longer have one of the best commercial minds in the business at the helm and honestly it shows.

Aircoach have the volume to take anyone on in a proper price war on this corridor, but it seems management are asleep at the wheel and unfortunately the best days of Aircoach are behind them I would suspect on this route, especially based on the spec of new vehicles orders both providers have lined up for 2019,

There's no question that Jim Burke is another exceptional commercial mind - I stated around the time that Parker left Aircoach that they are now very vulnerable and I'd expect the new MD to get her commercial acumen tested pretty early on - that is certainly happening here. Burke didn't have the cards stacked in his favour last time around, but now it's a more favourable scenario and he's going to exploit it - that price I can guarantee you will not be changing anytime soon.

It looks like the 10€ Aircoach is advertised in their fare section but with the disclaimer of limited availability while gobe is all availability even same day.

Aircoach also is using one of the very old white buses now which is more Dublin coach experience.

Gobe seams to use newer models these days with most of them from. Kavanagh if the WiFi name is to be trusted.

Now if only there would be more airport direct services.

It looks like the 10€ Aircoach is advertised in their fare section but with the disclaimer of limited availability while gobe is all availability even same day.

Aircoach has been like that for years.
    Aircoach also is using one of the very old white buses now which is more Dublin coach experience.

The oldest coaches that Aircoach use on the Cork route are from 2014, there is one coach from 2005 that is used as a relief vehicle to cover for breakdowns or delays, but it's maintained far higher standard than vehicles at Dublin Coach, that is for sure. Everything other than minor work is contracted out to well respected third party maintenance firms and the vehicle manufacturers as part of the contract to acquire such vehicles rather than being done in house to save a few quid, like Dublin Coach.
    Gobe seams to use newer models these days with most of them from. Kavanagh if the WiFi name is to be trusted.

GoBe is a mix between Bernard Kavanagh vehicles and directly operated services these days. Initially it was fully contracted out to Bernard Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Oh, that is interesting. Any rumours on what they might be? Just newer Panthers or perhaps something a bit higher spec?

I don't think the panthers are a bad coach, but if GoBE are upping their game, then perhaps something a little better speced would keep them in front.

I was just reading about the Plaxton Elite-i overdecker the other day, sounds like a very nice coach, would be nice to see it here.

It can be hard to tell from the outside, but they do feel a bit busier since they moved out of the bus stations. Still far off full or up to Aircoach yet.

To be honest, they will need to do a lot more to compete with Aircoach. The Volvo's seem to be only ok too, nothing mind blowing, but you can certainly tell they are hand me downs from the Galway fleet. A few years older and a bit rough around the edges. Power plugs rarely work, etc. Nothing like Dublin Coaches maintenance issues, but just seems a bit sloppy if they intend to compete on such a busy route.

Don't get me wrong, still much better then BE and I still take them more often then not due to the more flexible booking options. But the Cork route still fells a bit immature, both Aircoach and GoBE.

Yes, I experienced exactly that this weekend, both arriving and leaving. Both times the coach had to stop on the outside road to load/unload due to tour coaches parked in their spot! Definitely not good.

The issue is due to the works for the new bridge at the Quay, some of the tour coach parking bays have been closed for the building work and rather then parking over on their newly designated street, then are just parking in the GoBE spots!

BTW it wasn't me on Red FM complaining! :D

The thing about a Panther vs say a Vanhool/Jonckheere or even higher spec Plaxtons is.....

Does the "normal" passenger actually notice or care once they can get "a cheap ticket".

Old diesel wrote: »
    The thing about a Panther vs say a Vanhool/Jonckheere or even higher spec Plaxtons is.....

Does the "normal" passenger actually notice or care once they can get "a cheap ticket".

Given the choice between two operators on the same route, then I'd say yes.

For instance, going to Galway I'd always choose Citylink over GoBus due to them using much nicer Vanhool coaches and I've others around Galway say the same.

I'd even happily pay an extra euro or two return for a better experience. After all they are all so cheap compared to rail anyway. For the past few years I've been paying the little extra to take GoBE as they are quieter then Aircoach and thus more likely to a seat to myself and the last minute online booking facility.

Obviously them being quiet isn't good for them, but I take advantage of it and I know other friends doing the same. Of course you wouldn't want to take this too far, I wouldn't pay €5 or more return more.

You are right that "normal" passengers probably don't know the different coach brands, etc. But for people going Cork to Dublin regularly, they probably try both operators and if one seems significantly more comfortable (better padded seats, more legroom, less noisy, power at seats, etc.), then I'd say they would be more likely to take them again.

BTW I don't rate GoBE's Volvo coaches, they aren't anything special IMO and maintenance seems only ok too. I've seen plenty only 4 - 5 years old looking rough inside.
    devnull wrote:
    especially based on the spec of new vehicles orders both providers have lined up for 2019,

What is the spec? I hadn't heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

Occasional passengers might not but repeat passengers are more likely to want to be comfortable, especially if there's a relatively small price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Given the choice between two operators on the same route, then I'd say yes.

For instance, going to Galway I'd always choose Citylink over GoBus due to them using much nicer Vanhool coaches and I've others around Galway say the same.

I'd even happily pay an extra euro or two return for a better experience. After all they are all so cheap compared to rail anyway. For the past few years I've been paying the little extra to take GoBE as they are quieter then Aircoach and thus more likely to a seat to myself and the last minute online booking facility.

Obviously them being quiet isn't good for them, but I take advantage of it and I know other friends doing the same. Of course you wouldn't want to take this too far, I wouldn't pay €5 or more return more.

You are right that "normal" passengers probably don't know the different coach brands, etc. But for people going Cork to Dublin regularly, they probably try both operators and if one seems significantly more comfortable (better padded seats, more legroom, less noisy, power at seats, etc.), then I'd say they would be more likely to take them again.

BTW I don't rate GoBE's Volvo coaches, they aren't anything special IMO and maintenance seems only ok too. I've seen plenty only 4 - 5 years old looking rough inside.

What is the spec? I hadn't heard?

I'd have that exact mindset myself - but was thinking that my personal mindset was heavily influenced by being into vehicles of various kinds for as long as I can remember.

I can still remember the 2006 Vanhool that gave me a fabulous journey when Irish Rail had bus transfers on the go. That coach turned the negative of having to get off the train early into an actual positive.

That's not really normal though - I've literally no idea what it's like to sit in a vehicle and pay absolutely no attention to what it's like.

I'd have that exact mindset myself - but was thinking that my personal mindset was heavily influenced by being into vehicles of various kinds for as long as I can remember.

I can still remember the 2006 Vanhool that gave me a fabulous journey when Irish Rail had bus transfers on the go. That coach turned the negative of having to get off the train early into an actual positive.

That's not really normal though - I've literally no idea what it's like to sit in a vehicle and pay absolutely no attention to what it's like.

Yep, I totally get you and it is a good question.

You are right that most irregular users probably don't care. But as Mark says, I think the frequent users certainly would. The students and young professionals going up and down every weekend (for College, etc.), I'm certain they would try both services and go with the one that felt like a better experience to them.

And those sort of users are the bread and butter of these type of services.

They won't know the details of the coach, but they may well get a feeling about one being more comfortable, or leg room, etc.

I listen to my better half on this. When we get on a coach, she will sometimes comment (without prompting) that this is nice or other times, that it is uncomfortable/dirty/cramped. People do notice things like that.

And new prices again online, cheaper than before.

15€ one way between Cork and Dublin Airport with return leg for only 10€.

That is 3€ cheaper than before.

Still with the coaches mostly empty (at least when I go) it's begs the question how long they are going to keep this running.

And new prices again online, cheaper than before.

15€ one way between Cork and Dublin Airport with return leg for only 10€.

That is 3€ cheaper than before.

Still with the coaches mostly empty (at least when I go) it's begs the question how long they are going to keep this running.

They seem to be much busier these days. Been a few times I've been on it recently now and either almost completely full or very close to it. I wouldn't say Aircoach levels, but definitely much busier.

Also vehicles seem to be newer, cleaner and better maintained now and hardly ever any higher ins from what I can see, like you would see a lot of in the past.

Also they have a new office/waiting room now in Cork and have just announced a new route to Ballina.

I'd say all signs that things are going better at the moment. I'd feel a lot less worried about them today then I would have 5 years ago.

If anything I feel they are reducing prices like this to gain more marketshare, given that Aircoach seem weaker at the moment under new management.

• Advertisement

The waiting room in Cork is a nice edition during the past cold and rain period.

I also agree about the coaches used, on my Friday to Cork I now always get the 181 and on the way back it's usually a new one. But loads are low, right now we are 14 but it's great as that allowed me to go earlier and still have loads of room.

I hope that they keep the route (and may be run some more airport direct) because I prefer the coaches and staff over Aircoach.

If anything I feel they are reducing prices like this to gain more marketshare, given that Aircoach seem weaker at the moment under new management.

The new Aircoach management team certainly have a better customer service focus than the last one and are also keener to embrace modern technology, hence why you've seen a mobile friendly website, coach tracking and being the first operator to offer contactless payment with more things to come.

However their new management seems to lack commercial acumen. They have a commercial manager now, which they never had before, I presume since the former MD was very strong in this area, they didn't need one. Now with a new MD with strength in operations and customer services but less so commercially, they've probably decided to hire an additional staff member to cover this area.

The problem is though, the commercial side of things seems to be totally passive. GoBe undercut Aircoach on Dublin to Cork for a couple of months. There was no commercial response. GoBe are undercutting them on Cork to Dublin Airport, there's no commercial response. I do not understand how that makes good commercial sense. It seems awfully complacent and betting on your customers not going to the competition who literally depart and have an office right next to you in Cork.

If you have much higher volume than the competition, you should be able to beat them on price, since at a lower price point your yields will still be better than theirs because of your higher volumes. If you are cheaper and offer a more comprehensive service, which Aircoach does, there should be little customer bleed. So then GoBe by reducing their fares will reduce the income from their existing customers, who previously paid higher fares, without attracting enough extra punters to make up for it.

This is how Aircoach forced GoBe into a retreat in 2012, they easily won the battle because they were ruthless. At the moment it seems like Aircoach is just allowing the competition to undercut them and is doing nothing about it and that is very risky, especially when the competition offers a better onboard experience with more comfortable vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was on a aircoach from Dublin airport to Cork last week,
    Its not easy getting an info on which services go direct to cork without having to go the city,
    So it ended up being a 4 hour trip home,
    The bus was new and comfortable, but I won't travel with them again, until they have a separate and predictable direct route...
    Didn't know gobe did a direct service..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Was on a aircoach from Dublin airport to Cork last week,
    Its not easy getting an info on which services go direct to cork without having to go the city,

Non do, from Dublin Airport, all stop at Dublin City before going to Cork.
    Going from Cork, only 3 of 20 odd departures skip Dublin airport.

They may do more if there are enough people to fill two coaches and one can skip the city, but no guarantee on that. The above schedule is on their website.

GoBE, only do 2 departures that skip Dublin City going from the airport, so not much better and 5 in the other direction.

I'd wonder if eventually if there would be enough demand for genuine around the clock Cork - Dublin City and Cork - Dublin Airport services. Aircoach is probably closer to be able to do that then GoBE.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Didn't know gobe did a direct service..

There are 2 from the Airport to Cork at 0100 and 1600 (1600 start in the city at 1530, goes to their airport and then to cork).

There are 5 from Cork to the Airport at 01:30, 03:30, 05:30, 07:30 and 09:30 but after that, all is going via Dublin City.

I wish there were more from airport to cork than 2.

devnull, I'm really surprised Aircoach is persisting with the Panthers on the intercity routes. The Panthers are a pretty good choice for the Dublin City - Airport routes, but they are the poorest coach of any of the privates on the intercity routes.

Everyone else was using at least Volvo 9700's, which are arguably somewhat better, but they all seem to be upping their game moving up to even nicer Mercs.

I get why they went with the Panthers in the first place, but I'm surprised they didn't change it up for at least the intercity routes in the last 2 years. They are leaving themselves open to losing a lot of customers on these routes.

BTW I note they don't take the Free Travel Pass on the intercity routes, GoBE do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

They seem to be much busier these days. Been a few times I've been on it recently now and either almost completely full or very close to it. I wouldn't say Aircoach levels, but definitely much busier.

As a regular (every few months) user (to Dublin city), I've definitely noticed it getting busier - presumably due in part to them now taking travel passes. Good for GoBE - but I, and I'm sure others, pay extra for GoBE precisely because it's quieter than Aircoach - on GoBE, I would normally expect to get a pair of seats to myself (off peak services). If I'm going to be shoehorned into a packed bus, why not just pay less and use Aircoach?!

Note that some GoBE buses are also used for the Cobh Connect service (which is absolutely flying).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I would absolutely love it if there was a Dublin Airport direct to Cork option, flying in for a long weekend at home means losing an hour getting in and out of the city on a Friday.

As a regular (every few months) user (to Dublin city), I've definitely noticed it getting busier - presumably due in part to them now taking travel passes. Good for GoBE - but I, and I'm sure others, pay extra for GoBE precisely because it's quieter than Aircoach - on GoBE, I would normally expect to get a pair of seats to myself (off peak services). If I'm going to be shoehorned into a packed bus, why not just pay less and use Aircoach?!

Yep, that is the main reason I use them over Aircoach too. More likely to get a seat next to you free.

It is a balance, ideally you want them getting enough business to keep going, but not so busy to be full. Previously I was worried that they would shutdown, but it looks healthier now.

Even if both GoBE and Aircoach were full, I'd still take the GoBE I think. It actually isn't that much more expensive. Normal price is €23 versus €20 return. However if you join the GoBE club, you get every 10th trip free, so if you are a regular that basically makes it €20.70 per trip. Only 70cent more then Aircoach.

I think the 70 cent would be worth it for the slightly better coach and better leg room even if both would full. Plus the ability to book online up to an hour in advance, Aircoach system is poor in this regard.
    Note that some GoBE buses are also used for the Cobh Connect service (which is absolutely flying).

I haven't seen any actual GoBE coaches used on this route. They do use similar looking coaches, but Cobh Connect look to be mostly dual axle Volvo 9700's, while GoBE are larger tr-axle 9700's

There is some relationship with them sharing a waiting room, but I'm not sure how deep it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I haven't seen any actual GoBE coaches used on this route. They do use similar looking coaches, but Cobh Connect look to be mostly dual axle Volvo 9700's, while GoBE are larger tr-axle 9700's

There is some relationship with them sharing a waiting room, but I'm not sure how deep it goes.

Relationship is very deep. Actual GoBE coaches are used for Cobh all the time - not just filling in etc (and a Railtours yellow bus!). I'd say at least 30% of the Cobh services are run on GoBE branded buses, if not more*. I also recognise some of the drivers on Cobh Connect branded buses as GoBE drivers. CC is a major success - peak services would often have three coaches running for a single departure time.

*My neighbour, who is visually impaired, had a lucky escape a while back. Boarded a GoBE bus at the Cobh Connect stop thinking it was going to Cobh.........only to realise at the last minute from overheard conversation that it was going to Dublin!

Advertisement