Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have cinemas gone to the dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The biggest issue with cinema these days, is that the standard of films has decreased year on year.

Like in 2017, the top then highest grossing films were either sequels, remakes or the latest in the Marvel universe (in order; Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Beauty and the Beast; The Fate and the Furious; Despicable Me 3; Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle; Spider-Man:Homecoming; Wolf Warrior 2; Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2; Thor:Ragnorak; Wonder Woman)

It's funny that just have new techniques and technology have made films more visually spectacular than ever before, originality has plummeted off the cliff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

James 007 wrote: »
    How much is the Stella, went to Savoy 2 weeks ago and paid 12 euro, but they have made a dogs dinner of whole place.

Stella is €19 per ticket but it is worth every penny.
    You can also get locked while watching the movie.:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Like in 2017, the top then highest grossing films were either sequels, remakes or the latest in the Marvel universe (in order; Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Beauty and the Beast; The Fate and the Furious; Despicable Me 3; Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle; Spider-Man:Homecoming; Wolf Warrior 2; Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2; Thor:Ragnorak; Wonder Woman)

Are you trying to upset people deliberately? Wonder Woman is a DC film. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Guffy

I dont get why cinemas dont just make those lower seats in front of the screen a popcorn/nacho free zone an let all the grumpy ****es sit there.

Zaph wrote: »
    Are you trying to upset people deliberately? Wonder Woman is a DC film. :D

Like people getting Star Wars and Star Trek mixed up unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Dogs aren't allowed in cinemas.

I don't know why they let in much worse animals.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/film-news/dublins-light-house-cinema-dog-14979752
    Not true the lighthouse has had quite a few dog friendly screenings and they tend to sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

gmisk wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/film-news/dublins-light-house-cinema-dog-14979752
    Not true the lighthouse has had quite a few dog friendly screenings and they tend to sell out

For FCK sake :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

pure ****.
    worst thing is the green exit lights shining up onto the screen ffs

I would definitely agree with the green exit lights wrecking the viewing. Sometimes it feels like sitting in a 1980s kitchen that had one of those long florescent bulbs illuminated behind you. Can be distracting to the point of wishing the movie was over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

We visit the cinema on average twice a month, yeah sure we could throw on a decent film in the comfort of our own home but I sit at home every other evening, and go for a change of scenery.

I never experience any badly behaved audience you speak of, or ripped damaged chairs etc.

I’m in Waterford and Omniplex is fantastic value, this evening we got a ticket, popcorn and drink for €10 each. Odeon on the other hand is crazy prices, €12 for the ticket alone!

We would continue to visit the cinema regardless of how good the home sound/screen system would get. Yes there are other times where we would prefer to stay at home and do that instead, but it’s nice to get out on a random Sunday night to watch a movie.

Barking mad.:rolleyes:

You have to pay for a seat for the dog and everything I booked one for myself and one for the Rothweiler seats K10 and K9.

Is that directed at me or the lighthouse cinema?!!!

I have a dog BTW the last thing I would do is take him to the cinema...he is happy barking at dogs and cats on the TV.

Cinema wise the lighthouse and the Stella are streets ahead in Dublin the rest tend to attract talking, rustling, phone using @rseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Noveight wrote: »
    I watched Bohemian Rhapsody in the Stella there in recent weeks.

Really enjoyed the experience, would recommend it to anyone.

Watched it tonight myself, perfect movie for the cinema. Wouldn't have the same lustre on the TV or laptop. Some films are just made for the big screen and it's a fantastic escape.

gmisk wrote: »
    Is that directed at me or the lighthouse cinema?!!!

I have a dog BTW the last thing I would do is take him to the cinema...he is happy barking at dogs and cats on the TV.

Cinema wise the lighthouse and the Stella are streets ahead in Dublin the rest tend to attract talking, rustling, phone using @rseholes.

Cleary the cinema.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Bohemian rhapsody was absolutely fantastic. Its on my mind all week! As was A star is born.

And yep there’s something pretty therapeutic sitting in a room full of strangers staring at a screen munching on lots of popcorn and chocolate.

Ha, Ah in fairness they are probably better behaved than most of the attendees at a parent and baby screening!

Bohemian rhapsody was absolutely fantastic. Its on my mind all week! As was A star is born.

And yep there’s something pretty therapeutic sitting in a room full of strangers staring at a screen munching on lots of popcorn and chocolate.

How many killings and car chases had it got?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have seen one of them and have in mind to see the other soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I went to see the new Halloween over here in Spain on Halloween night, worst decision of my life. Teenagers laughing and shouting, taking photos, videoing, talking on phones, doing Instagram stories. There was also a young one that had her foot up on the seat beside me and never stopped shaking her foot for the whole ****ing film, I could see It out the corner of my eye and really pissed me off. The talking destroyed the atmosphere and tension of the movie. I was so pissed off that I ate a pizza after to cheer me up. Anyways yes, cinemas have gone to **** and I doubt I'll be setting foot in one for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭ballyargus

The unending slew of superhero drivel is a major deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I went to see the new Halloween over here in Spain on Halloween night, worst decision of my life. Teenagers laughing and shouting, taking photos, videoing, talking on phones, doing Instagram stories. There was also a young one that had her foot up on the seat beside me and never stopped shaking her foot for the whole ****ing film, I could see It out the corner of my eye and really pissed me off. The talking destroyed the atmosphere and tension of the movie. I was so pissed off that I ate a pizza after to cheer me up. Anyways yes, cinemas have gone to **** and I doubt I'll be setting foot in one for a while.

Are you sure you weren’t on a bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I go a good bit, most recently to A Star Is Born

The opening scene with Bradley Cooper playing ‘Black Eyes’ almost had the room shaking.. wouldn’t have enjoyed it 10% as much at home.

Dunkirk would be another example of a cinema experience

I love horror films but I have learned from painful experience NEVER see one in the cinema teenagers and horror movies are like flies around shi*e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why? Catering for an audience, what's the problem? Ireland has a strange stance on pets. If a dog enters a restaurant, it will somehow kill everybody within...

Cinemas are grand, the films on the other hand, absolute tripe. I loved going to the cinema, but there's rarely a film worth watching in the cinema anymore. Super hero films, everywhere. They can die a death, absolute trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The Lighthouse is great. No groups of noisy kids or people talking during the film, has a bar, you can bring your beer in to the movie. It's years since I've been in any other cinema.

callaway92 wrote: »
    I go a good bit, most recently to A Star Is Born

The opening scene with Bradley Cooper playing ‘Black Eyes’ almost had the room shaking.. wouldn’t have enjoyed it 10% as much at home.

Dunkirk would be another example of a cinema experience

The IFI had Dunkirk in 70mm kicking myself I did not go to it there.

Why? Catering for an audience, what's the problem? Ireland has a strange stance on pets. If a dog enters a restaurant, it will somehow kill everybody within...

Cinemas are grand, the films on the other hand, absolute tripe. I loved going to the cinema, but there's rarely a film worth watching in the cinema anymore. Super hero films, everywhere. They can die a death, absolute trash.

When you put it that way it's a nice idea but when you see the story the first thing that comes to mind is dogs don't watch movies.:D

Billy Mays wrote: »
    The Lighthouse is great. No groups of noisy kids or people talking during the film, has a bar, you can bring your beer in to the movie. It's years since I've been in any other cinema.
    It's a terrific cinema and crowd are generally really excellent.
    Plus pretty reasonable especially if you are a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I had to move seats during black 47, if he wasn't a heroin addict he was a guy who worked out the exact formula to get me to crack. However in the off chance he was a gentleman opiate admirer I erred on the side of caution and moved, rather than upsetting him...

Advertisement