Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ Lillian Cuddly Memoir

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Also, if you don't consume British media by the geansai-load, you probably won't have to encounter this all that much. Switch off SKY/BBC if the presence of a red flower gets to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

PoppyWatch on twitter is worth a follow for the time of year we're in.
    Brings out all the gammon heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

razorblunt wrote: »
    PoppyWatch on twitter is worth a follow for the time of year we're in.
    Brings out all the gammon heads.

:D

not sure what it means or who it refers to but it sounds like my type of insult

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Graces7 wrote: »
    Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

Churchill said a lot of things!

There were a lot of reasons the Axis countries lost - sheer overstretching themselves, the Russian winter, Allied access to penicillin, the Manhattan project even (although you could argue the war was already won by the time it was deployed)

27,000 Paddies made precious little difference I'm afraid!

• Advertisement

• To me the Poppy represents the futility of war. It doesn’t matter the race, religion or political beliefs of those killed, either civilians or those in the armed forces. Some comments on this thread show that nothing had changed. People still see things differently and react with hostility to the beliefs of others.
    Make love, not war.

To me the Poppy represents the futility of war. It doesn’t matter the race, religion or political beliefs of those killed, either civilians or those in the armed forces. Some comments on this thread show that nothing had changed. People still see things differently and react with hostility to the beliefs of others.
    Make love, not war.

that's not its intended purpose though - you can't just decide for yourself what the intention of the symbol is..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,876 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Based on your experiences of what, exactly?

On the fact that people who consider themselves modern and progressive tend not to bother all that much with symbols that represent political or nationalist-based ideas of historical warfare.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

judestynes wrote: »
    Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.

So again, the question is: IF Britain for some reason invaded Ireland, what would these Irish soldiers in the British army do then? So, yes, loyalty DOES come into it. Would they blindly follow orders or would they risk court martial and possible execution?

In no way would working for a commercial enterprise ever create the same possibility of conflict of loyalties between country and employer.

Yes, I know this is all highly unlikely, but I had to continue this to show the ridiculousness of equating a foreign military with a foreign company.

As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.

No it's not, you clown!

Intel aren't going to tell you to climb in a helicopter and bomb a settlement somewhere in the Khyber pass, because there's a 25% chance that Tim Cook is in the big tent on the left!

Don't be ridiculous. Fighting armies deal in death, destruction and misery, not stocks, bonds and quarterly reports.

You're absolutely right insofar as at the end of the day, it is always about money, but that's where the similarity ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Churchill said a lot of things!

There were a lot of reasons the Axis countries lost - sheer overstretching themselves, the Russian winter, Allied access to penicillin, the Manhattan project even (although you could argue the war was already won by the time it was deployed)

27,000 Paddies made precious little difference I'm afraid!

what a terrible way to see brave men. and what your post says about you. yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurkkkkkkkkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Aegir wrote: »
    Give me their addresses and I will.

And what will you do? Send a strongly worded letter?

what a terrible way to see brave men. and what your post says about you. yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuurkkkkkkkkkk

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭KaneToad

To me the Poppy represents the futility of war. It doesn’t matter the race, religion or political beliefs of those killed, either civilians or those in the armed forces. Some comments on this thread show that nothing had changed. People still see things differently and react with hostility to the beliefs of others.
    Make love, not war.

To me it represents unicorns jumping through rainbows and sugarplum fairies dancing on icicles.

Sorry Graces7, I get that you think you're being respectful and I'm not but you're wrong.

There's probably the odd exception but en masse the only difference their deaths made was to themselves and their families, a stupid gawdy paper flower is not honouring them, it's glossing over unpleasant facts.

And as for Churchill - he was undoubtedly a very smart man and a brilliant military leader in very difficult times, but he was also an alcoholic who was extremely blasé about killing millions of people. He's certainly not anybody I would look up to on moral grounds.

Just because he said something, doesn't mean it's true - he told the odd porkie pie when it suited him!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

No it's not, you clown!

Intel aren't going to tell you to climb in a helicopter and bomb a settlement somewhere in the Khyber pass, because there's a 25% chance that Tim Cook is in the big tent on the left!

Don't be ridiculous. Fighting armies deal in death, destruction and misery, not stocks, bonds and quarterly reports.

You're absolutely right insofar as at the end of the day, it is always about money, but that's where the similarity ends.

Your right, your employer won't tell you to invade a soveirgn nation but they might ask you to evict a family from their home, or crew an oil tanker skippered by a gowl who thinks safety regs are just there for the craic but at least he's quick and ends up wiping out the entire coastline of the country your from. How do you think those quarterly reports look so rosey, by playing by the rules?

Your right, your employer won't tell you to invade a soveirgn nation but they might ask you to evict a family from their home, or crew an oil tanker skippered by a gowl who thinks safety regs are just there for the craic but at least he's quick and ends up wiping out the entire coastline of the country your from. How do you think those quarterly reports look so rosey, by playing by the rules?

I think you're very much clutching at straws.

Firstly a family can't be evicted from "their" home, only from someone elses.

Secondly, penneys employing dubious labour in Bangladesh is not really on a par with fire bombing Dresden, and I think you know that full well!

What a terrible, simplistic way to see Churchill too.
    Take a look at what he did to Indians.

lawred2 wrote: »
    :D

not sure what it means or who it refers to but it sounds like my type of insult

Wiki:

Gammon is a pejorative term used in British political culture since around 2012, which received press coverage in 2018. In 2018 it became particularly known as a term to describe white people, especially those on the political right or who supported Brexit, who appear pink-faced when emotional.The term is a comparison of their flushed skin colour to the pink of gammon, i.e. salted pork leg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

razorblunt wrote: »
    Wiki:

Gammon is a pejorative term used in British political culture since around 2012, which received press coverage in 2018. In 2018 it became particularly known as a term to describe white people, especially those on the political right or who supported Brexit, who appear pink-faced when emotional.The term is a comparison of their flushed skin colour to the pink of gammon, i.e. salted pork leg

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

in some instances maybe, but I wold guess the majority joined for the same reason young people all over the world join up. A sense of duty, a sense of adenture, to prove themselves etc etc.
    Wheety wrote: »
    And what will you do? Send a strongly worded letter?

no, I'm going to rage against them (Whatever that means), despite the fact that most have been dead for a very long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Patww79 wrote: »
    Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.

My dad grew up in the UK and had to serve in Cyprus in the late 50s, due to national service - yet he is a proud Irishman.

Less of the judgement eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I never get the idea of Irish people wearing a poppy,
    Yes Irish people died in the two wars  but why not just wear a shamrock to remember them
    The poppy stand for all Brits lost at war including those in Ireland and India , Why would an Irish person want to wear that symbol its stupid ,
    Wear a shamrock to remember the Irish men who died if you must ,
    Or like myself don't wear anything  .
    There is never a right side in war ,both sides have men fighting who have no choice and would prefer to be at home with there family's, If you want to remember those who died remember the men from both sides,

in some instances maybe, but I wold guess the majority joined for the same reason young people all over the world join up. A sense of duty, a sense of adenture, to prove themselves etc etc.

A sense of duty to a foreign government? Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

I think you're very much clutching at straws.

Firstly a family can't be evicted from "their" home, only from someone elses.

Secondly, penneys employing dubious labour in Bangladesh is not really on a par with fire bombing Dresden, and I think you know that full well!

Your confusing a house with a home there dude and bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart. Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

KaneToad wrote: »
    To me it represents unicorns jumping through rainbows and sugarplum fairies dancing on icicles.
    I was on a trip like that once.
    Far out.

Your confusing a house with a home there dude

Either way - if it's yours you can't be evicted from it. If it's not yours, it's not yours.
    bombing Deresden to defeat a tyranical lunatic and the people who supported him and invading a sovereign nation on trumped up allegations just to make rich men richer are worlds apart.

At the upper ends of all armies you'll find tyrannical lunatics. Don't kid yourself that the british or American armies were or are run by gentlemen intent on protecting freedom at all costs.

History is also largely written by the victors.

Hitler is the epitome of evil because he killed 6 million jews and plunged the world into war (no argument there, he was clearly a despotic nut job)
    Churchill is the brave hero who stood up to him and saved the world (Eh, what about the 3 million Bengals he starved - shhh don't mention them he was a brave hero!)
    Anyway we're miles off topic and don't call me a clown again

Even if the big shoes fit?

Anyway back on topic - Poppies - no, not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

I agree with him - the whole gushing over the poppy you see these days is nothing short of disgusting. I just don't get the romanticising of war.

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks:D (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)

Tbh 100 yrs on from the Empire I'm glad they influenced the world. Their inventions, innovations, medicines, infrastructure, law, sports, literature, language.

It's just incredible to me how a rain sodden damp rock in the north Atlantic were so advanced.

A sense of duty to a foreign government? Very strange.

it wasn't a foreign government in 1914 and to many, it wasn't in 1939 either. A sense of duty can also go beyond a duty to a government, it can mean a sense of duty to a cause, like the thousands from all over europe who went and fought for the Republicans in their fight against Franco's army, or those that joined to fight the evils of the Nazis.

• Advertisement

it wasn't a foreign government in 1914 and to many, it wasn't in 1939 either. A sense of duty can also go beyond a duty to a government, it can mean a sense of duty to a cause, like the thousands from all over europe who went and fought for the Republicans in their fight against Franco's army, or those that joined to fight the evils of the Nazis.

But we were talking about current British army recruits from Ireland, and whether their choice to join the British army was any different to working for a foreign company.

I totally agree with you that a sense of duty can cover the examples you mentioned. Neither of your examples involved a direct conflict with Ireland whereby those British soldiers from Ireland would be forced to choose between their country and their obligations as a British soldier, so it's not relevant to this particular question.

Advertisement