Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Railway Journeys on CIE

Options
  • 19-09-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

I had reason to take the train from Enniscorthy to Bray and back yesterday, and faced into the journey with some trepidation given it was the day of the GAA Final. Getting the afternoon train at least meant I would miss fans traveling up for the game but the return might be different.

No pocket timetables available at Enniscorthy - haven't been any for months apparently.

No problem in the Up direction. The station at Bray is the same miserable kip that it has been for years. Pub still closed. The bookstall that Dick Fearn assured me had been closed for operational reasons, and was needed by the company, is now a coffee takeaway. The board's servant in the ticket office was unhelpful and also had NO pocket timetables.

The grubby hut beside the ticket turnstiles had been replaced by a new grubby hut at the other end of the turnstiles. It seemed to serve as a place for its incumbent to entertain his pals - not sure whether they were CIE employees or not.

The Down Rosslare served the Down platform - causing people to have to drag their luggage over the bridge. Is it really impossible for CIE to show some consideration to their passengers over perceived operational requirements? The train was quite busy and I was fortunate to get a seat in a quieter carriage - at least so I thought. However, a mother had a teething child with her that cried/screamed all the way to Enniscorthy and while I can cope with that having been there, others did not feel the same way. When the unfortunate mother had left the carriage ahead of me at Enniscorthy, remarks were made about that being the reason that they rarely took the train and wouldn't be again. Of course if we still had proper trains instead of short railcars that needn't be a problem.I note that the manufacturers plate has mysteriously reappeared on the signal cabin at Gorey - it spent some years in a garden in south Wexford - apparently.

I almost forgot, the Rail Gourmet trolley was molested by drunks who stole quite a lot of stock and the unfortunate steward was told by his superiors not serve anymore customers. It didn't affect me as it's several decades since I made that mistake. All in all a typical journey by Irish Rail punctuated by repetitive, bilingual announcements and platitudes from a company that couldn't give a fig for their customers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So based on that traumatic experience, you'll not be darkening Irish Rail's doors ever again, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So based on that traumatic experience, you'll not be darkening Irish Rail's doors ever again, yes?

"However, a mother had a teething child with her that cried/screamed all the way to Enniscorthy and while I can cope with that having been there, others did not feel the same way."

Alas, I have no choice as the bus service is a poor alternative, but IE shouldn't end up being the last resort rather the first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I had reason to take the train from Enniscorthy to Bray and back yesterday, and faced into the journey with some trepidation given it was the day of the GAA Final. Getting the afternoon train at least meant I would miss fans traveling up for the game but the return might be different.

No pocket timetables available at Enniscorthy - haven't been any for months apparently.

No problem in the Up direction. The station at Bray is the same miserable kip that it has been for years. Pub still closed. The bookstall that Dick Fearn assured me had been closed for operational reasons, and was needed by the company, is now a coffee takeaway. The board's servant in the ticket office was unhelpful and also had NO pocket timetables.

The grubby hut beside the ticket turnstiles had been replaced by a new grubby hut at the other end of the turnstiles. It seemed to serve as a place for its incumbent to entertain his pals - not sure whether they were CIE employees or not.

The Down Rosslare served the Down platform - causing people to have to drag their luggage over the bridge. Is it really impossible for CIE to show some consideration to their passengers over perceived operational requirements? The train was quite busy and I was fortunate to get a seat in a quieter carriage - at least so I thought. However, a mother had a teething child with her that cried/screamed all the way to Enniscorthy and while I can cope with that having been there, others did not feel the same way. When the unfortunate mother had left the carriage ahead of me at Enniscorthy, remarks were made about that being the reason that they rarely took the train and wouldn't be again. Of course if we still had proper trains instead of short railcars that needn't be a problem.I note that the manufacturers plate has mysteriously reappeared on the signal cabin at Gorey - it spent some years in a garden in south Wexford - apparently.

I almost forgot, the Rail Gourmet trolley was molested by drunks who stole quite a lot of stock and the unfortunate steward was told by his superiors not serve anymore customers. It didn't affect me as it's several decades since I made that mistake. All in all a typical journey by Irish Rail punctuated by repetitive, bilingual announcements and platitudes from a company that couldn't give a fig for their customers.

Passenger information has rarely been easily got. The near ubiquity of smart phones must have been a godsend for the long tradition of surly responses for customer information - I remember how prising a copy of the printed timetable in times past usually involved the phrase "that costs 50p, you know" as if that was a good enough reason not to sell it to me. In the dying days of the printed full timetable I usually had to ask twice for it and confirm that, yes, indeed, I wanted the full timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You can hardly blame IE for the presence of a cranky infant, which you may encounter on bus, train or plane and they're hardly going to re-introduce a 'proper train' just so people can find refuge from them.

I think the smartphone will be the death knell of the printed timetable, surely they had a poster advertising arrivals/departure?

You can hardly blame IE for the presence of a cranky infant, which you may encounter on bus, train or plane and they're hardly going to re-introduce a 'proper train' just so people can find refuge from them.

I think the smartphone will be the death knell of the printed timetable, surely they had a poster advertising arrivals/departure?

A lot of people don't have smartphones or want them. Do you suggest that I pull down the IE timetable off the wall and put it in my pocket. I didn't blame IE for the 'cranky' baby - just their tiny trains where there's no quite carriage, 1st class, or other means of avoiding same. As you're determined to dispute everything I post would you not just add me to your ignore list?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

You can hardly blame IE for the presence of a cranky infant,

But it does bring up the point about the pathetic lack of Quite Carriages in Irish Rail. Try working on a train to Cork with a shower of screaming drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I asked for a timetable in Maynooth a few months back, the fella smiled and said "You know it's all on your phone anyway?". No hand held timetables on display however. Usually there's plenty of timetables on offer in Wexford station, although I'd say the fact that the evening train to Dublin leaves later in the summer (meaning all timetables must be reissued) is a good enough reason not to stock them in most places in IÉ's mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

man98 wrote: »
    I asked for a timetable in Maynooth a few months back, the fella smiled and said "You know it's all on your phone anyway?". No hand held timetables on display however. Usually there's plenty of timetables on offer in Wexford station, although I'd say the fact that the evening train to Dublin leaves later in the summer (meaning all timetables must be reissued) is a good enough reason not to stock them in most places in IÉ's mind.

Hasn't Maynooth got a history of Customer Service issues? I avoided buying tickets there when I used the station so no surprise that you got The Smartness.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

A lot of people don't have smartphones or want them. Do you suggest that I pull down the IE timetable off the wall and put it in my pocket. I didn't blame IE for the 'cranky' baby - just their tiny trains where there's no quite carriage, 1st class, or other means of avoiding same. As you're determined to dispute everything I post would you not just add me to your ignore list?

Oh we have Premier ICR carriages that could serve as a quiet carriage for a small premium.

IR being IR of course, though you occasionally see one on the Galway route 90% of them are parked collecting dust

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

all and all the usual nonsense on that line. but we must not allow IE drive us away, they're will be no surrender!!!!!!!!

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Hasn't Maynooth got a history of Customer Service issues? I avoided buying tickets there when I used the station so no surprise that you got The Smartness.
    I have a leap card, I just needed the timetable. No idea about a track record on this stuff, but they didn't open the station until 2 minutes before the train arrived on the platform one Sunday morning I used it. All in all, perhaps not the best of service but it was more convenient for me at the time. Certainly a few sour grapes in the punnet, but overall I find Irish Rail staff to be nice and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Oh we have Premier ICR carriages that could serve as a quiet carriage for a small premium.

IR being IR of course, though you occasionally see one on the Galway route 90% of them are parked collecting dust

For the second time - the ICR sets are not parked for 90% of the time - they are all in use every single day, including the five car sets.

Just because you see them laying over between trips does not mean they're not being used. There are more trains required during the morning and evening peak times, but most are out all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I also have no smart phone.

Several months ago, I asked in Connolly about timetable leaflets, I was told that new ones would be available in "about two weeks".

Last week I was in France, and there were no timetable leaflets in most stations. Last year, I was there in October, and the timetable racks were full for every route, perhaps they were revised each October.
    My main fear is that CIE and SNCF may be discontinuing these leaflets, about six years after CIE dropped the network booklet.

Whatever about Irish Rail timetables on their website, SNCF is a disaster, DB was better for French rail services.
    There is no substitute for a proper timetable, preferably on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I asked for a timetable in Maynooth a few months back.

Most of the stations on the line have large stainless steel display boards for showing timetables. They've been empty for at least 5 years!

People unfamiliar with the station may also not realise that there is a real time board as in many cases they're installed at a poor location. Why couldn't these have been put at the platform entrance? Maintenance can be an issue, which doesn't seem to be the case in DART stations, go figure.

I pity the tourist/non-local trying to use the Maynooth line.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Most of the stations on the line have large stainless steel display boards for showing timetables. They've been empty for at least 5 years!

People unfamiliar with the station may also not realise that there is a real time board as in many cases they're installed at a poor location. Why couldn't these have been put at the platform entrance? Maintenance can be an issue, which doesn't seem to be the case in DART stations, go figure.

I pity the tourist/non-local trying to use the Maynooth line.

I was using it for a week's work and my phone was playing up and wifi was patchy so it was much more convenient to have a solid timetable, which I did get in the end. I do make use of the real time boards but they're useless if you're not in the station or have to change trains.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Whatever about pre-printed timetables, ticket-office staff should be able to print off pdfs of timetables on request - it's not exactly rocket science.

Of course, that would require a customer-centric corporate culture...

Quackster wrote: »
    Whatever about pre-printed timetables, ticket-office staff should be able to print off pdfs of timetables on request - it's not exactly rocket science.

To do that would mean that the staff would have to stop reading their newspaper, texting or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Quackster wrote: »

Print off PDF timetable ? IR can't put the drawings for the Kent station up in something useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Title of thread should be:
    GRITTY Railway Journeys on Irish Rail.

- here in Ireland:

...Romantic railways are dead and gone,
    They're with poor Dargan in the grave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Why don't all stations in ireland have simple easy to printed timetables similar to this one in italy ie timtables are usually useless and confusing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why don't all stations in ireland have simple easy to printed timetables similar to this one in italy

They do.
    ie timtables are usually useless and confusing

I asked the last moaner to explain what part of IE timetables they find deficient and surprise, got no answer.

I'm asking you the same question.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They do.

I asked the last moaner to explain what part of IE timetables they find deficient and surprise, got no answer.

I'm asking you the same question.

Well firstly most I've seen don't you have to go looking for most stations in italy the first you see in the station is a clear timetable here the print is too small and you have to go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Well firstly most I've seen don't you have to go looking for most stations in italy the first you see in the station is a clear timetable here the print is too small and you have to go looking for it.

You only notice it cause you went looking for it. Very few people turn up at a station not known in advance when the train is due. Most Irish rail stations display the timetable at the entrance.

IE 222 wrote: »
    You only notice it cause you went looking for it. Very few people turn up at a station not known in advance when the train is due. Most Irish rail stations display the timetable at the entrance.

Here's the timetable board in hueston station not half as good as in italy in this picture all the timetables have been taken by commuters why they just have one large printed timetable instead of leaflets which can run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Here's the timetable board in hueston station not half as good as in italy in this picture all the timetables have been taken by commuters why they just have one large printed timetable instead of leaflets which can run out.

That's not a timetable board. That's the pocket tables which could of been emptied for various reasons. Two completely different comparisons you have shown there.

Traveled to Bray and back again on Sunday - uneventful trip in both directions. However, the onboard announcements really grind my gears. No less than 14 in each direction if you count the bilingual nature of them and they are completely OTT. I suppose I should be grateful that they aren't in Polish - yet!

However, it is at Bray that my complaint is this time. On arriving back at the station for the evening train I was witness to an altercation between two very large Eastern European security men and a piece of pond life that had possibly been a human at some point. Eventually he was 'persuaded' to leave the premises but no sign of the Gardai and he was free to molest anybody unfortunate enough to encounter him. The security men's approach was a bit like "Netwatch" (you in the blue hoodie) making Ireland a safer place or just moving the problem on.

I needn't have worried as the unwell individual made a bee line for the station car park where he broke into a car and the security men returned to the scene and sat on him until the Gardai finally arrived. Bray station is not a place to linger! Incidentally, would it not be possible for CIE to get in a pest controller to remove/liquidate the pigeons within the station? I'll do it for them - if they pay me.

Traveled to Bray and back again on Sunday - uneventful trip in both directions. However, the onboard announcements really grind my gears. No less than 14 in each direction if you count the bilingual nature of them and they are completely OTT. I suppose I should be grateful that they aren't in Polish - yet!

However, it is at Bray that my complaint is this time. On arriving back at the station for the evening train I was witness to an altercation between two very large Eastern European security men and a piece of pond life that had possibly been a human at some point. Eventually he was 'persuaded' to leave the premises but no sign of the Gardai and he was free to molest anybody unfortunate enough to encounter him. The security men's approach was a bit like "Netwatch" (you in the blue hoodie) making Ireland a safer place or just moving the problem on.

I needn't have worried as the unwell individual made a bee line for the station car park where he broke into a car and the security men returned to the scene and sat on him until the Gardai finally arrived. Bray station is not a place to linger! Incidentally, would it not be possible for CIE to get in a pest controller to remove/liquidate the pigeons within the station? I'll do it for them - if they pay me.

Bray station is a dump. They made a few improvements there recently like putting in a much needed footbridge and new ticket barriers on to the seafront but it's the main station building and surrounding area need a good face lift in fact forget that the town as whole needs a good face lift it makes Dun Laoghaire look like a pretty decent town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To do that would mean that the staff would have to stop reading their newspaper, texting or whatever...

Or management actually providing the staff the tools for that tbh...... C_C

Realisticaly they might've just stopped printing them because of cost savings as much as it is annoying they keep the timetables up on the wall at least for information as well as online to be printed off. Such is the way things have gone.

Enniscorthy . Connolly - Enniscorthy today - Friday 28th October.

In the Up direction journey okay except for the annoying announcements previously referred to.

8.04 ex.Enniscorthy - almost empty arriving from Rosslare Harbour.
    10 passengers at Enniscorthy - two at least were OAPs.

I can't remember the last time that I saw any marketing of the train in local Wexford newspapers.

13.36 ex.Connolly - a four piece 29000 series DMU - why? I could see two ICRs stored at Connolly.

People standing all the way to Gorey. Announcement made that the Dining Car (sic) trolley was at the front of the train and to make your way there - presumably due to people standing throughout the train. It did arrive at my seat just south of Arklow. No heat whatsover in my carriage.

€27.70 return. Bargain not! It is totally unacceptable for CIE to continue to use Commuter DMUs for inter-city services. I will be writing to Mr.Franks and reporting back here. No checker on return service either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Enniscorthy . Connolly - Enniscorthy today - Friday 28th October.

In the Up direction journey okay except for the annoying announcements previously referred to.

8.04 ex.Enniscorthy - almost empty arriving from Rosslare Harbour.
    10 passengers at Enniscorthy - two at least were OAPs.

I can't remember the last time that I saw any marketing of the train in local Wexford newspapers.

13.36 ex.Connolly - a four piece 29000 series DMU - why? I could see two ICRs stored at Connolly.

People standing all the way to Gorey. Announcement made that the Dining Car (sic) trolley was at the front of the train and to make your way there - presumably due to people standing throughout the train. It did arrive at my seat just south of Arklow. No heat whatsover in my carriage.

€27.70 return. Bargain not! It is totally unacceptable for CIE to continue to use Commuter DMUs for inter-city services. I will be writing to Mr.Franks and reporting back here. No checker on return service either.

yeah, it would be laughable only it's reality. the lunchtime service down is always a 29k from my experience. they probably store the ICRS rather then send them on a run to rosslare like they are supposed to be doing just incase something happens to one of their pet services. good luck with writing to franks, sadly i suspect jot all will be done.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement