Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith Valuation - difficulty in finding townland

• 29-10-2018 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I am looking for a townland called Island, near Burnfort, and the family name, Healy. The address today is Island, Burnfort.

I got the following data from the townland database:
    Townland Name Acres Civi Parish Barony Poor Law Union County
    Burnfort 538 Mourneabbey Barretts Mallow Cork, E.R.

I can see the location on the map but when I use Griffith's "Places finder",
    I get Burnfort alright and it has 15 occupants but no Healy. I don't think the specific townland of Island is covered.
    I also searched the microfilm of Griffiths Valuation for the parish of Mourneabbey and it had many townlands but not Island.
    I would appreciate suggestions on what to do next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

Problem solved. After checking the civil parish maps for Co. Cork on the Failteromhat site I saw that Island is near, possibly in, the adjacent parish of Rahan, and sure enough I then found Island in Rahan.
    So hopefully this helps others through the sometimes baffling problems in sorting out old parish boundaries.

Advertisement