Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-10-2016, 09:05   #61
Hermy

On the subject of newspaper archives I note from Claire Santry that the Irish Times is in the process of being added to the Find My Past newspaper archive.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-10-2016, 09:21   #62
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
Thanks for that! I'm going to the NLI this week, so I was more wondering which papers to order. You could search for James Fay- his death cert says he had the accident on June 27th, and died on July 4th. It was registered in the North Dublin district- though I can't make out the name of the hospital. Thanks again.
Did a quick search but didn't find anything at Find My Past.
The hospital he died in looks to me like Jervis Street Hospital.
Also, the death record mentions an enquiry held by the Dublin City coroner - it's possible that the enquiry got a mention in the papers.
Thanks from:
03-10-2016, 15:23   #63
Mez1982

Does anyone know where I could find information about inquests into deaths?
04-10-2016, 10:39   #64
pedroeibar1

AFAIK Coroners' inquests are in the National Archives.
When searching newspapers online for a specific event I've found it more effective to be 'fuzzy' as an event often was picked up and republished elsewhere, often quite far away. For example, I've not found an article when searching in the Limerick Chronicle, yet I've picked it up in an English paper with an attribution to the Chron. that enabled me to go back to the Chronicle and 'manually' search a few issues - with success.
Thanks from:
11-10-2016, 16:31   #65
mod9maple

Anything in the Budget to interest us? Funding for the NL or NA for example? Anyone hear anything?
Advertisement
11-10-2016, 19:22   #66
FatherTed

I started doing this research a few weeks ago in the evenings just using the GRO and 1901/1911 Census information available online. I'm originally from Galway but living in the US, all my immediate family are still there but they're amazed at what I've been able to unearth from here. The biggest find(I mentioned this in the other thread) was Army Pension application records for my grand-uncle who died young in 1923. Found 128 pages(yes!) on various back and forths between the department of defence and my grand aunt(his sister) plus solicitors. I haven't even read through all that stuff yet.
I've traced back to my great-great-great grandfather(b 1808) on my father's side and great-great-grandfather(b 1815) on my mother's side. I think I've gone are far as I can upwards in the tree for GRO info available online so I might tackle the church records and grittiths next.

I know this can be all consuming but what at point do you stop? The boundaries seem limitless. I find myself looking up the kids of my great-great grand uncles.

Also what is a good site for keeping track of the tree? I'm using myheritage.com and found it pretty good so far.
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2016, 19:45   #67
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherTed
I know this can be all consuming but what at point do you stop? The boundaries seem limitless. I find myself looking up the kids of my great-great grand uncles.

It depends on how much of a completist you wish to be. I don't bother with siblings of any generations beyond my grandparents; I just don't have any interest in them.

I love finding the locations of where my ancestors lived and then visiting them. I actually have a labelled collection of small sealed jars which contain the soil of each location (townland).

Btw - as much as you can find online, that available not online opens up many new doors eg estate records, to name just one.
11-10-2016, 19:48   #68
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherTed View Post
I know this can be all consuming but what at point do you stop?.......
I began writing things down in the 1960's. Left it and then went back to it when some bright spark invented computers and the wonderful world wide web!! For me it has never stopped, it just slows down.
Thanks from:
11-10-2016, 19:52   #69
Coolnabacky1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
I actually have a labelled collection of small sealed jars which contain the soil of each location (townland).
I had to chime in when I read this. That is brilliant.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-10-2016, 20:00   #70
Jellybaby1

Quote:
....I actually have a labelled collection of small sealed jars which contain the soil of each location (townland)...
A step too far for me I fear! I've enuff stuff genealogical without adding more pedological elements!
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2016, 20:25   #71
mod9maple

I love history, especially social history. I walk around the area, imagining them doing the same x years ago. When I find (as I have) an actual building I'm ecstatic! Mostly they're now animal sheds or storage but that's ok, at least they're standing. Before I go I take a small airtight jar, fill it with a handful of soil, take it home and label it with place and ancestor. I then write a short description of the area in a journal, and some thoughts on my day.

It just makes it personal, connects me in some small way to them other than DNA.

Last edited by mod9maple; 11-10-2016 at 21:41.
11-10-2016, 20:36   #72
Jellybaby1

Quote:
I love history, especially sociological history. I walk around the area, imagining them doing the same x years ago. When I find (as I have) an actual building I'm ecstatic! Mostly they're now animal sheds or storage but that's ok, at least they're standing. Before I go I take a small airtight jar, fill it with a handful of soil, take it home and label it with place and ancestor. I then write a short description of the area in a journal, and some thoughts on my day.

It just makes it personal, connects me in some small way to them other than DNA.
I can of course appreciate that. But what makes me ecstatic is photos! Oooh I do love photos and when I come across any I haven't seen before I'm like a kid on Christmas morning!
Thanks from:
11-10-2016, 20:47   #73
Alan259

Quote:
I don't bother with siblings of any generations beyond my grandparents; I just don't have any interest in them.
That's surprising to me. Personally, I make every effort to find out who each of my ancestor's siblings are. It makes it easier to find out if you are related to someone you just met or if you are doing further investigation into naming patterns and also it's fun to know if your ancestor was the eldest or the youngest in the family or somewhere in the middle.
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2016, 20:55   #74
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan259
That's surprising to me.

Actually I should qualify my statement. I do the bare minimum on them for the reasons you mentioned. But I wouldn't, for eg, research their children in detail as regards say occupations, or tenancies. I'm much more interested in direct ancestors; I'm very into my parental tree. With 8 gr-g'parents and 16 gr-gr-g'parents, and some of 32 etc etc, that's more than enough to be getting on with.
11-10-2016, 21:28   #75
pinkypinky

There's no end.

I spent 5 hours on Sunday researching people with the same surname as my grandfather's family who are probably not related. I'd sketched it out a few years ago from indexes but now with the registers, it's a 5 generation tree with 51 people including people still alive. They had some great surnames that I couldn't resist.

I fully acknowledge my addiction, which is the first step to recovery.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion