Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips or Suggestions to Trace Further

• 21-10-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Through a combination of online resources, some family knowledge and a bit of sleuthing I've been able to Trace the family name back to the marriage of Patrick Nolan in 1842. This record was in the Baltinglass Catholic register.

I actually alluded to this on the handwriting thread earlier
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057459148/144/#post108409575

However, I'm not really sure how to proceed from here. Obviously a birth date and parents names would be the ambition.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions on how to attempt track down such information. Really finding it hard to uncover anything.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you got siblings for him that you could research?

Tracing the younger siblings of my ancestor led to the discovery of their mother's maiden name. One had married over a decade later in a different church which recorded more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have you got siblings for him that you could research?

Tracing the younger siblings of my ancestor led to the discovery of their mother's maiden name. One had married over a decade later in a different church which recorded more.

Thanks pinky for the suggestion.

I'll check with my dad as he's maintaining the master tree!

I'm terms of resources, the likes of the parish microfilms and roots ireland are still my best bet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, but you can also look at Griffiths Valuation and other land records for the family in case that yields anything more. If you haven't read our sticky, do so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

Tracing siblings, cousins and other relatives has been very useful for me. Search the Catholic parish records for some of the large archdioceses coming online on FindMyPast. I have also found some Irish ancestors who went to England in FMP Catholic parish registers. The most important thing is to build as wide a network of relatives--and friends from home--as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

If Patrick is marrying in 1842 - then his father is possibly listed on the Tithe Applotment books. There's no way to directly link someone to a name in the Tithe but it's worth looking up to narrow your search.

Once you have a possible name - check to see if they lived long enough to (ahem) die post 1864 when death certs began. The informant of the death would the field you'd be most interested in.

I have a family where the first sibling marries in 1874 but her brother of similar age didn't marry until 1901. That's a 25yr gap. Consider the (slim) possibility that Patrick has a brother who married later in 1860s as well. That would mean a marriage cert with his father's name on it.

Also consider the 1841/51 Census Search - to claim a pension people needed proof of age but had no birth certs. Transcriptions were made of the 1841 or 1851 census (before they burnt down) for many applicants. Worth checking out.

http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/search/cs/home.jsp

• Advertisement
Advertisement