Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

throwing cigarette butts out the car window

• 20-01-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Driving along and witnessed driver in front throwing their cigarette butt out the window. my immediate reaction was that this was disgusting, and rude. I wanted to blow the horn but resisted.

But then i thought a cigarette is paper and leaves. Am i overreacting? is it that bad as likely to decompose quickly enough.

Thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Definitely don't do it in Australia. Or places like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the filter is basically plastic cellulose acetate, although if you walk, cycle along our roads they are disgusting, cigarette butts are a small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's also extremely toxic to wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

They stopped putting ash trays in cars years ago. What else are they supposed to do with a lit cigarette?
    I suppose they could have a bottle of water in the car or something for cigarette waste. If you don't have an extinguishable in the car, I guess throwing them away is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

But then i thought a cigarette is paper and leaves. Am i overreacting? is it that bad as likely to decompose quickly enough.

Thoughts.

The filter is plastickey stuff which doesnt degrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

They stopped putting ash trays in cars years ago. What else are they supposed to do with a lit cigarette?
    I suppose they could have a bottle of water in the car or something for cigarette waste. If you don't have an extinguishable in the car, I guess throwing them away is the only option.

Or, they could just not smoke until they have somewhere to dispose of their rubbish.

Just because someone doesn't have an ashtray to hand doesn't mean they should be littering the country. Where do you draw the line, oh I don't have a bin at home so I'll just chuck my rubbish on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

They don't put bins in cars either, does that make it okay to fling used fast food wrappers out the window? Why should smoker's be given a pass on littering?

Sadly we share our small island with a lot of disgusting pigs, hedges and ditches beside our roads are covered with stuff people have flung out of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They don't put bins in cars either, does that make it okay to fling used fast food wrappers out the window? Why should smoker's be given a pass on littering?

Sadly we share our small island with a lot of disgusting pigs, hedges and ditches beside our roads are covered with stuff people have flung out of cars.

Please do not insult pigs....Thank you

Litterers are disgusting humanoids

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Sky King wrote: »
    The filter is plashtickey stuff which doesnt degrade

ftfy x

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

i decided since there's no toilet in my car I'm going to pull over to the side if the road and crap out the window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Vic_08 wrote: »

https://www.dailyedge.ie/gerald-kean-operation-transformation-2980324-Sep2016/

like this guy.

Used coffee cup with some water in it. Well, until that joy disappears from our lives too.

It’s even handy if you don’t smoke in your car but need somewhere to put the butt when you stop for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hate pr1cks that do this as when out on the motorbike the amount that would flick back hit my bike, bike gear on me or worst case go inside helmet or down neck.

Happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

61fUUz3aAdL._SX466_.jpg
    You can buy ashtrays that fit in cupholders if you really need to have a smoke while driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Have they actually completely gotten rid of ashtrays in cars? how long ago was this? I'd normally drive older cars.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Have they actually completely gotten rid of ashtrays in cars? how long ago was this? I'd normally drive older cars.

Last one I seen with one was a 2010 Toyota, which had a removable one like the one above.

pure.conya wrote: »
    i decided since there's no toilet in my car I'm going to pull over to the side if the road and crap out the window

That’s a whole new definition of throwing your butt out of the window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

You can get the reg and report it to the litter warden. They will get a fine. Even better if you have a dash cam. You might have to go to court if they dispute it.

I have always been tempted to do it myself. Never have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These butts cause serious environmental issues.

They block drainage systems and also then get into the water ways and the sea.

This plastic is causing serious affects on wildlife too.

More need to think about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Driving along and witnessed driver in front throwing their cigarette butt out the window. my immediate reaction was that this was disgusting, and rude. I wanted to blow the horn but resisted.

Thoughts.

ive had cig butts hit my helmet / motorbike on the motorway, or the scooter going through the city, or in the case on Saturday behind some p***k he done it in slow traffic while i was driving the car. didnt give a toss.

its a ****ing scourge, and the toerags that do it, are dirty ***ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

70c9c0059fdb935563a59a2a03cda1a7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You can get the reg and report it to the litter warden. They will get a fine. Even better if you have a dash cam. You might have to go to court if they dispute it.

I have always been tempted to do it myself. Never have though.

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for someone who threw a smoke out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for someone who threw a smoke out the window.
    Not really. Just an email or phone call with the date and reg.
    I reported illegal dumping dozens of times. Once they find anything that can identify the dumper. Fine will be issued. Dash cam might be enough.

Once I was asked to go to court. I said no. As they where settled travelers that lived nearby. It’s only if they dispute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Or, they could just not smoke until they have somewhere to dispose of their rubbish.

Just because someone doesn't have an ashtray to hand doesn't mean they should be littering the country. Where do you draw the line, oh I don't have a bin at home so I'll just chuck my rubbish on the street.

Sadly a lot of folk would be just happy to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Stub it out on the car floor. Why should everyone else have to get their dirty fag butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

.... I guess throwing them away is the only option.

So same goes for chewing gum then ?

It's a telling sign of someones character that they just flick their cigarettes out the window and expect their litter to magically disappear or someone else to pick it up.

Not really. Just an email or phone call with the date and reg.
    I reported illegal dumping dozens of times. Once they find anything that can identify the dumper. Fine will be issued. Dash cam might be enough.

Once I was asked to go to court. I said no. As they where settled travelers that lived nearby. It’s only if they dispute it.

Illegal dumping! Back to hanging your ar$e out of the window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Who gives a crap.fags break down easily. Especially in Irish weather. No one wants their car stinking of stale cigerrettes so you're not going to leave them in the ashtray.

People have little to be worrying about if they're upset by a few fag buts which dissappear after a few weeks of rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement