Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Play account hacked

• 09-04-2019 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi All,

In November i received an text message from Bank of Ireland at 4am in relation to suspicious transactions on my account. When i checked these, it appeared that someone had bought several items from Google Play (over €700 worth).
    That same night, Google emailed me to advise that someone in Taiwan had tried to access my account twice, the first time unsuccessfully and the second time successfully.

From this info it was clear that my account was hacked and my details used to buy multiple games from the Play store.

At the time BOI opened a case, cancelled my card and re-debited the money to my account which i was delighted with. However, this money has now been re-debited from my account at Google's request as they don't believe it was fraudulant!! BOI have advised me to refer my subsequent complaint to the Ombudsman.

The emails that Google sent me in relation to the suspicious activity on my account have long since been deleted and i'm trying to find some way to contact Google to get these re-sent to me to prove that my account was hacked.

Does anyone know a way of doing this or had any similar experiences?

Sorry for the rant. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

crby wrote: »
    Hi All,

In November i received an text message from Bank of Ireland at 4am in relation to suspicious transactions on my account. When i checked these, it appeared that someone had bought several items from Google Play (over €700 worth).
    That same night, Google emailed me to advise that someone in Taiwan had tried to access my account twice, the first time unsuccessfully and the second time successfully.

From this info it was clear that my account was hacked and my details used to buy multiple games from the Play store.

At the time BOI opened a case, cancelled my card and re-debited the money to my account which i was delighted with. However, this money has now been re-debited from my account at Google's request as they don't believe it was fraudulant!! BOI have advised me to refer my subsequent complaint to the Ombudsman.

The emails that Google sent me in relation to the suspicious activity on my account have long since been deleted and i'm trying to find some way to contact Google to get these re-sent to me to prove that my account was hacked.

I assume you used a debit card back in the day, and the money was stolen from your current account? I would report the card issuer (eg bank) and Google to the Gardai. It is a criminal issue in my view. Same as if they took a wallet with 700 EUR out of your pocket in a pick pocket event.

Get an American Express card for online use. The contractual liability is limited to EUR 50 for the cardholder. (In addition to that I get unlimited airport lounge access for two people at no cost per use, good travel insurance, 75'000 worth of cover for claims by car rental companies - so I don't bother with CDW or 'Super CDW' or LDW etc. Not to mention hotel room upgrades at no cost, late check-out etc. If your AmEx card is stolen while travelling, and you stop the card, the card remains operational using the legacy card number for stuff that has been processed or authorized before reporting the theft. And they claim to get a card to one by DHL to replace the stolen card. (Fortunately I haven't had to try this one).

Never use a debit card online (or a credit card with a serious credit limit) unless the conditions of use absolve you from card fraud.

Google has enough Irish assets to attach in a legal case. Deep pockets etc. You don't have to use a lawyer, but if you win your costs should be covered by Google. (They are not like Aer Lingus which is exempt from legal costs by law).

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Also, you have no reason to ever delete emails. Archive them instead, space is Google's problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

crby wrote: »
    Hi All,

I assume you used a debit card back in the day, and the money was stolen from your current account? I would report the card issuer (eg bank) and Google to the Gardai. It is a criminal issue in my view. Same as if they took a wallet with 700 EUR out of your pocket in a pick pocket event.

Get an American Express card for online use. The contractual liability is limited to EUR 50 for the cardholder. (In addition to that I get unlimited airport lounge access for two people at no cost per use, good travel insurance, 75'000 worth of cover for claims by car rental companies - so I don't bother with CDW or 'Super CDW' or LDW etc. Not to mention hotel room upgrades at no cost, late check-out etc. If your AmEx card is stolen while travelling, and you stop the card, the card remains operational using the legacy card number for stuff that has been processed or authorized before reporting the theft. And they claim to get a card to one by DHL to replace the stolen card. (Fortunately I haven't had to try this one).

Never use a debit card online (or a credit card with a serious credit limit) unless the conditions of use absolve you from card fraud.

Google has enough Irish assets to attach in a legal case. Deep pockets etc. You don't have to use a lawyer, but if you win your costs should be covered by Google. (They are not like Aer Lingus which is exempt from legal costs by law).

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

PS If it was a credit card (and not a debit card) which was 'settled' by an SDD (direct debit), reject the debit in writing using a registered letter with an An Post proof of delivery ( accusé de réception) or AR in postal lingo) (sent to your bank). I assume you have written to the card issuer formally notifying them that the charges are fraudulent and demanding that they chargeback the transactions forthwith? If not, I'd suggest you do so. You can also probably rely on the EMV liability shift, which makes the merchant (ie probably Google) liable unless they have captured your PIN, which is most unlikely given what you say.

Advertisement