Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The rise of fascism in the 21st Century

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Fascism isn't really the right term but there is undeniably a growing strands of populism that are rather concerning. There isn't just one singular ideology there are several and they only distinguishing characteristic between them is how just toxic and rancid their core supporter base behave towards others. People on the 'left' say it's the right. People on the right say it's the left. In truth, new wings of political ideologies are taking hold and none of these look to be healthy for society. This isn't because they're new but because they're ideological viewpoints optimised to polarise divides and amplify isolationalist moods among various groups. Take the recent Casey traveller debacle. How many people can recall constructive civil discussions in their everyday experiences outside of boards?

All I've witnessed thus far is circle jerks with a majority consensus rapidly being reinforced; whatever it was. There was just a constant dismissive mocking of the concerns and points of the 'other' side that disagreed. Despite the fact that there is a broad spectrum to the 'other' side; it's not just, a, side. There are several but this is rarely if ever acknowledged nowadays. Nowadays it's just blame, complain, dismiss, mock and evade. There's not attempt to empathise, rationalise or even discuss a disagreeing viewpoint. It's just side snide backslapping, sometimes adjacent with a heavy persecution complex, that seeks to reinforce a group identity rather contribute to a better society.

We live in an era where technology can be used to communicate across fast distances. Yet of late all that technology is being used for is push people further and further apart. At some point, you feel, there will be rather significant consequences and I just fear by then it won't be too late to reverse the course. It's not that hard, find something you disagree with, stop mocking it, take note of why people might hold those opinions and try to engage and understand others points of view. Most of all understand that there isn't just one or two points of view, there are several and no idea, no matter it is, is infallible and foolproof. If you can't recognise the frailties in your position there your position is, in my eyes at least, a very scary one.

Communication takes more effort than complaining, blaming and mocking does but considering it's the cornerstone by which our societies were built it would be nice if people could start putting in that effort. If they don't then the consequences could be dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

The only thing that is going to be on the rise in the 21st. Is the unemployment of third grade educated students.
    I definitely think sea level will be on the rise.

But hey, maybe the "alpha male strongmen" will protect us with walls, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is it a protest vote as we saw here and elsewhere Dr Fuzzenstein ?

Omackeral wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time;

''Everyone should be treated equally and the State should not discriminate against anybody.''

-Peter Casey

Such hatred.
    For the umpteenth time, you're attempting to rationalise racism again.

Casey denied the very ethnicity of Travellers, broad brush vilified them, called our Taoiseach "an Indian", and made anti-semitic comments against Jews.

Anybody can say a particular line to attempt public damage limitation when they're exposed rotten.

You might as well have quoted Father Jack's "I'm sooooo, sooooo sorry."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

They had some gains, but the left and the greens had more. Even the poor old FDP is back in again.

Vorläufiges amtliches Endergebnis:
    CSU: 37,2 Prozent (85 Sitze)
    SPD: 9,7 Prozent (22 Sitze)
    Freie Wähler: 11,6 Prozent (27 Sitze)
    Grüne: 17,5 Prozent (38 Sitze)
    FDP: 5,1 Prozent (11 Sitze)
    AfD: 10,2 Prozent (22 Sitze)

AfD has 10.2, but greens and freie Wähler had the most gains here, commanding 29.1% of the vote, that is a resounding success for the middle and the left. Three times as many voters went green or freie Wähler than AfD. Very happy to be part of that very sizable block of voters.
    With the economy doing well and fewer migrants arriving compared to the peak of 2015/16.

Hessen, AfD has a little more, but once again, greens the biggest winners here

CDU: 27
    SPD: 19.8
    Grüne: 19.8
    Left 6.3
    FDP: 7.5
    AfD: 13.1

There is no massive shift to the right. No right wing revolution. AfD is still a joke party for cranks and malcontents, whilst more serious middle and left leaning parties are the go-to solution for voters who want something different.
    Nobody is going into coalition with the AfD, they will have exactly zero power, all they will do is make a bit of noise on the sidelines.
    It was the same with the NPD before that. They got a few protest votes and then they sank without a trace.

AFD gained more than any other party in Hesse. They are in second place in a couple of states. Bavaria was known as being a more challegning state, as most of the parties there are right wing to begin with (FW, CSU, FDP). They are polling at about 16% nationwide, which is more than the SPD, which would have been unthinkable a couple of years ago.

Granted that the SPD is mostly losing support to the Greens, but the CDU is losing support to the AFD.

Nobody is going into government with the AFD, but the AFD is helping to guarantee a hung parliament. They are the third largest party, and gaining. I think it would be foolish, and a piece arrogant to assume they are going anywhere in the near future. If the social causes which gave rise to them are cured, they will probably collapse in support, but that is unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement

hill16bhoy wrote: »

Have you any evidence that travelers are a race? Has a comparison ever been made between the genome of the 'Irish' race and the 'Traveler' race?
    made anti-semitic comments against Jews.

When did Peter Casey make anti-semitic comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Casey denied the very ethnicity of Travellers, broad brush vilified them, called our Taoiseach "an Indian", and made anti-semitic comments against Jews.

What race are Travellers? How does one identify as a Traveller? Would love to know the requirements. Leo Varadkar is of Indian ethnicity by the way, he'll be the first to tell you that himself. Casey didn't infer he wasn't Irish and well you know it.

See, it's you and your stock that have people rolling their eyes when the dreaded ''R'' card is played. You're cheapening the word. I've got into it with you on another thread and all you do is drag it down so for the good of everyone else, I'm not responding to you. But make no bones about it, it's your ilk that have people sick and tired of these labels being thrown out. If there is a rise in rightism, it's helped along by the very likes of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I don't like people who are of a lower social class to me.

I don't like immigration from countries poorer than ours.

I think everything to do with transgenders / gender fluids is fundamentally wrong and incompatible with the human species.

I wouldn't befriend any LGBT types.

I think abortion without good medical reason is murder.

I don't support pandering to minorities.

What does that make me?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So are Indians/Bangledeshis/Pakistanis working in a petrol station or a convience store fulfilling a skills shortage or Nigerian taxi drivers or Brazilian rickshaw drivers all fulfilling skills shortage. Fact is our generous social welfare system is facilitating Irish people to sit on the dole while forgeiners work in unskilled jobs or go on the dole and claim benefits which they should not be entitled to.

Most of the jobs forgeiners are doing could easily be done by the Irish. This could be done by either attracting immigrants to return or giving the jobs to Irish people who are not working. Come the next reccession immigrants will become a burden once again just like the last one.

Some people don't like the sentiment. But its plain common sense that this is a massive issue that dare not raise its head.

If Irish people were so lazy/incompetent, then who built the country to such a state that others left their own country to be here!?

Where are all these extra people living during a housing crisis? Where are they getting healthcare in a crowded, malfunctioning health system? And as said above, how is it tying into forcing/enabling irish people to simply "check out" of the workforce?

It doesn't make any sense! Its the tried and failed pyramid scheme being foisted on the country by conmen and useful idiots.

One more common sense question, how was housing not an issue during the "bad times" of the recession, yet during the "good times" of now, people are being fleeced for accommodation, if theyre lucky to have anything decent at all. The simple observation of reality smashing against "the narrative" is what has people becoming increasingly angry and ready for change. No, not everything is down to immigration, but its certainly ONE of the lightning rods snapping people out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Anybody can say a particular line to attempt public damage limitation when they're exposed rotten.

You might as well have quoted Father Jack's "I'm sooooo, sooooo sorry."

He invaded Poland too and annexed the Sudatenland. And all these other imaginary things that Peter Casey did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

He invaded Poland too and annexed the Sudatenland. And all these other imaginary things that Peter Casey did.

He did come up a bit of a cropper in Stalingrad mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Have you any evidence that travelers are a race? Has a comparison ever been made between the genome of the 'Irish' race and the 'Traveler' race?

When did Paul Casey make anti-semitic comments?

I believe that he mentioned that the Jewish community were all over the Whitehouse (as in, influential areas of American Government), and by all accounts he is correct.

The context was that there are way more Irish Americans than American Jews but we are not using our influence as well as the Jewish community.

In fact, his pitch for the presidency was harnessing the massive Diaspora, I guess, just like Jewish people have done for centuries...nothing at all anti semetic about what he said.

He also said that he did not identify as a feminist (the populists calling card)...I guess that makes him a misogynist right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Stephen15 wrote:
    So are Indians/Bangledeshis/Pakistanis working in a petrol station or a convience store fulfilling a skills shortage or Nigerian taxi drivers or Brazilian rickshaw drivers all fulfilling skills shortage. Fact is our generous social welfare system is facilitating Irish people to sit on the dole while forgeiners work in unskilled jobs or go on the dole and claim benefits which they should not be entitled to.
    No but the doctors, nurses, engineers, and tech workers are fulfilling a skills shortage. If a nurse comes to Ireland because we have a massive staff shortage in the HSE, and their husband/wife comes too should they be excluded from working if they happen to not fall into a category on the highly skilled occupations list? Why shouldn't they take a job in a petrol station or as a taxi driver? If Irish people are abusing the welfare system that's not the fault of immigrants. Similarly why shouldn't foreign students who come here to study be able to take up part time work. If there is work to be done and they are willing what's the problem?

Stephen15 wrote:
    Most of the jobs forgeiners are doing could easily be done by the Irish. This could be done by either attracting immigrants to return or giving the jobs to Irish people who are not working. Come the next reccession immigrants will become a burden once again just like the last one.

Your estimation of what immigrants are entitled to is pretty fantastical, the processes involved in getting a visa to enter the country and a permit to work in it are rather complex and take a long time.
    Saying that Irish people could just do the jobs that are being done by foreign workers is incredibly simplistic. If that were true or possible why would we even have a highly skilled occupations list or a process for critical skills work permits? We could just pop down to the dole office grab a few people out of the q and send them off to the Rotunda to start delivering babies, we could have a word with Zuckerberg and ask why doesn't he just set up a recruitment stand in the post office on a Wednesday morning instead of hiring all those highly skilled foreigners.

As I said we're at 5.5% employment, in most countries 5%is considered full employment which means everyone who can work is working so where you're planning to magic up these Irish people to do these jobs is a total mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

doylefe wrote: »

I think everything to do with transgenders / gender fluids is fundamentally wrong and incompatible with the human species.

What does that make me?

I would say it makes you someone who likes extreme point of views, not because of what you have typed out but your portraying what you see the otherside or the enemy to be.

Question i would have for you is are any of the above topics ok to discuss or are they all taboo?

No but the doctors, nurses, engineers, and tech workers are fulfilling a skills shortage. If a nurse comes to Ireland because we have a massive staff shortage in the HSE, and their husband/wife comes too should they be excluded from working if they happen to not fall into a category on the highly skilled occupations list? Why shouldn't they take a job in a petrol station or as a taxi driver? If Irish people are abusing the welfare system that's not the fault of immigrants. Similarly why shouldn't foreign students who come here to study be able to take up part time work. If there is work to be done and they are willing what's the problem?

Your estimation of what immigrants are entitled to is pretty fantastical, the processes involved in getting a visa to enter the country and a permit to work in it are rather complex and take a long time.
    Saying that Irish people could just do the jobs that are being done by foreign workers is incredibly simplistic. If that were true or possible why would we even have a highly skilled occupations list or a process for critical skills work permits? We could just pop down to the dole office grab a few people out of the q and send them off to the Rotunda to start delivering babies, we could have a word with Zuckerberg and ask why doesn't he just set up a recruitment stand in the post office on a Wednesday morning instead of hiring all those highly skilled foreigners.

As I said we're at 5.5% employment, in most countries 5%is considered full employment which means everyone who can work is working so where you're planning to magic up these Irish people to do these jobs is a total mystery

You are defending a pyramid scheme. Do you know what happens at the end of a pyramid scheme?

mammajamma wrote: »
    You are defending a pyramid scheme. Do you know what happens at the end of a pyramid scheme?

It's only part of a pyramid scheme if you consider capitalism itself to be a pyramid scheme, which would be fair enough, I guess, because at the end of the day it is.

But in and of itself, I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that filling necessary skills shortages is part of a pyramid scheme.

Are the workers from other countries who come to work at Google and Facebook part of a pyramid scheme?

Are Mexican dairy workers in Iowa part of a pyramid scheme?

Because without these Facebook and Google workers from other countries, Google and Facebook wouldn't exist here, and without Mexican workers, Iowa dairy farms wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

What does that make me?

angry

It's only part of a pyramid scheme if you consider capitalism itself to be a pyramid scheme, which would be fair enough, I guess, because at the end of the day it is.

But in and of itself, I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that filling necessary skills shortages is part of a pyramid scheme.

Are the workers from other countries who come to work at Google and Facebook part of a pyramid scheme?

Because without these Facebook and Google workers from other countries, Google and Facebook wouldn't exist here, and without Mexican workers, Iowa dairy farms wouldn't exist.

I heard a good quote from a man who lives on the US/Mexico border, who owns a ranch, that has seen 500,000 cross his land over 20 years.

"The Republicans want cheap labour, The Democrats want cheap votes, Americans want cheap tomatoes", but over the last 20 years wages have stagnated for much of the American Middle Classes, in fact American Middle Class is probably one of the most unattractive places to be in the developed world....

Trump isn't a genius, he is Anti Establishment, that is all, he is a detestable individual but too many people in the heartlands of America were not listened to by any political party.

It's not me who determined that what Peter Casey said was racist. It's the UN definition which did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#International_law_and_racial_discrimination
    The United Nations use the definition of racial discrimination laid out in the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, adopted in 1966:

... any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, color, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. (Part 1 of Article 1 of the U.N. International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination)[83]
    When did Paul Casey make anti-semitic comments?
    Are you referring to the former Dublin footballer or the English golfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Off course they would still exist. It just means that they would make less in profit but they still would exist. Are you ok?

• Advertisement

What does that make me?
    A virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We need a new name for it. It's definitely a populist phenomenon of our time, just as fascism was something specific to the 1920s/30s/40s.

Today, fascism is just a lazy catch-all word, largely because everything awful/extreme/far right is dismissed as "fascist" - it could just as easily be the far more enduring "imperialist" but understandably that might be a bit too close to the bone for English speakers in England so calling it "fascist" serves a convenient political deflection, too.

Essentially, it is populist nationalism, and that can be left, right or even centrist in nature.

The likes of Syriza and Sinn Fein with their populist anti-EU left-wing rhetoric are as good examples of it as Trump and Brexit. Even Breixt has its left-wing ideologues. Calling it fascist is a misnomer, but there is a common thread of resentment of the outsider, be they the privileged outsider or the underprivileged outsider, depending on the party saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Try_harder wrote: »

Following the election of a far right leader in Brazil, and Trump and Farage's behaviour, even boards displays it, is fascism on the rise, I say so.

Trump and Farage are fascist cos they're not far left socialists ?
    Yeah, sure OP it's hysteria like this that made Trump and that fella in Brazil win.

Peter Casey's comments were endlessly discussed and, sadly, completely set the agenda for the last week of the Presidential campaign plus the post mortem.

Sadly to some.
    There are precisely no people who dispute that the undoubted issues within the Travelling Community should be debated.

Really? More to the point, do they debate them? Sorry for the rhetorical question.
    What reasonable people say is that these issues can and should be debated without resorting to crude generalisations and vilification of that community.

Crude generalizations such as them being the most marginalized group in the country? I'm not disputing that by the way, but it is a crude generalization. The vilification that you speak of is it the one where he said they aren't an ethnic minority (I've seen no proof that they are) or the one where he said they camp on other people's land (they do). Is that what you are referring to, or something else? Genuine question.
    I haven't seen a single Casey supporter discuss or even acknowledge issues like why the rate of suicide among Travellers is seven times higher than among the settled community, or an acknowledgment that many employers (I've read as much as 70%) refuse to hire Travellers.

The suicide rate of Travelers is undoubtedly higher. I'm highly skeptical about your hiring statistic though. Highly. I've seen Casey 'supporters' acknowledge the marginalization of the traveler community, but's that's neither here nor there really.
    We can guess why that is. It's likely because it would require a bit too much thinking.

Careful now, the smugness is showing. In reality it the people who are outraged by Casey's comments who are happy with the status quo, who flat out say that they are not interested in integrating travelers. Travelers are to be distant, apart, separate, others, communities set to govern themselves, a sacred ulcer fenced off and allowed to fester under its own guidance.
    I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that those who found Casey's comments disgustingp, such as myself, portrayed Casey supporters as "lower class ignoramuses", given that Casey's support came primarily from the middle classes, not the lower classes in socio-economic terms, the lower classes preferring Michael D. Higgins. His comments were certainly not aimed at lower class people, given that he vilified those on welfare as well as Travellers, and seems to have a problem with most sorts of welfare in general.

Indeed, but then critics of this sort of thing generally don't have particularly joined up thinking. Saying that Casey's 'supporters' were middle class people and farmers, people perhaps struggling to make a living, would engender the type of feelings that 'those sort of people' demand. Also MDH's support is predominantly middle class and urban.
    So there was definitely a lot of vilifying people as "lower class ignoramuses", except that pretty much all of it was coming from Peter Casey and those who supported him.

Eh, not really.
    I suppose in non-socio-economic terms, you could call Casey and his supporters "low class ignoramuses", alright, but those terms are clearly not what you had in mind when you made your comment.

No, no, you've got it right. That is the sort of tone I was talking about. The smug 'I know better than those scum-bags' sort of demeanor - you've nailed it in that sentence, I'd say.

History always repeats itself.

After decades of making so much progress, it certainly feels like war, racism, sexism, homophobia, selfishness are making a comeback.

It's really depressing that we are starting to go backwards.

This world needs to be united in order to tackle our issues.

With the way things are looking today, I wouldn't rule out seeing war in mainland Europe over the next decade.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Essentially, it is populist nationalism, and that can be left, right or even centrist in nature.

The likes of Syriza and Sinn Fein with their populist anti-EU left-wing rhetoric are as good examples of it as Trump and Brexit. Even Breixt has its left-wing ideologues. Calling it fascist is a misnomer, but there is a common thread of resentment of the outsider, be they the privileged outsider or the underprivileged outsider, depending on the party saying it.

I've heard this description a few times now, populism, in this country we have been run by the most populist nationalist party in Europe, FF since the foundation of the state....now I wouldn't call FF fascists...a cancer on Irish political life...but not fascists!

Yes, they are all part of a pyramid scheme. They displace local workers, use housing, use healthcare, use all facilities. They don't exist for a job in isolation. There is more than a fair chance they will stay here, grow old here, send children into schools here, require pensions and sustenance here. Never mind the social effects.

A strong argument would be bringing in foreign workers to train local workers where there is a GENUINE lack of skills. It should be timestamped and when the worker has been trained, there is no need for the foreign worker. But of course, that would be far too sensible, and never happens. You either have a country that works for ITS people, or not.

Side point, what good is a huge international company that pays fractional tax, employs 40 to 70% plus non-irish people, and can be gone in the blink of an eye...exactly how great is tying ourselves to that kind of setup? Its not, is the answer.

Sustainability is the name of the game, and if an industry cannot survive in a country without gigantic outside reliance, then it is quite simply a bad idea in the first place

Generally speaking, a pyramid scheme. And don't forget, we have plenty and plenty of irish people qualifying as nurses doctors etc....where have they gone? To get higher wages elsewhere because the pay here isn't good enough? Would that be related to the fact that imported health workers are paid less? Are they connected?

Do the irish people educated here on the back of irish people paying tax going to cause the same problem for another countries indigenous population of healthworkers?

Its a big old swindle, the whole shebang. Observed reality, as I said earlier, hence the growing anger everywhere.

It's not me who determined that what Peter Casey said was racist. It's the UN definition which did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#International_law_and_racial_discrimination

Ah, so you don't care whether or not it can be proven that travelers are a race? If you don't care, how do you think anybody is going to take you seriously?

You got to pick your battles kill16bhoy.
    Are you referring to the former Dublin footballer or the English golfer?

I was clearly talking about the hurler.
    A virgin.

I think you should look at jonatan pie about how trump won the election - particularly the bit about how insulting people generally tends to make them be less disposed to agreeing with you. Also, if you are going to insult someone, at least get halfway decent at it for fcuk sake.

Try_harder wrote: »
    Not panic, but awareness and alertness, Putin's undermining of the EU because of the freedoms and liberties it gives its citizens. Trump and Farage using fascist iconography (the streams of people poster during brexit)

Ha ha ha ha ha stop your killing me.
    EU, Freedoms and liberties all in the one sentence??? :D
    Just as the highly oppressive articles 11 and 13 are being passed.

• Advertisement

Off course they would still exist. It just means that they would make less in profit but they still would exist. Are you ok?
    Read this and tell me they'd still exist.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a23471864/devin-nunes-family-farm-iowa-california/
    In every conversation I had with dairy farmers and industry insiders in northwest Iowa, it was taken as a fact that the local dairies are wholly dependent on undocumented labor. The low unemployment rate (it’s 2 percent in Osceola County), the low profit margins in the dairy business, and the global glut of milk that keeps prices low make hiring outside of the readily available pool of immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala unthinkable.
    There was no doubt about why I was being followed. According to two sources with firsthand knowledge, NuStar did indeed rely, at least in part, on undocumented labor. One source, who was deeply connected in the local Hispanic community, had personally sent undocumented workers to Anthony Nunes Jr.’s farm for jobs. “I’ve been there and bring illegal people,” the source said, asserting that the farm was aware of their status. “People come here and ask for work, so I send them over there.” When I asked how many people working at dairies in the area are documented citizens, the source laughed. “To be honest? None. One percent, maybe.”

The source added, “Who is going to go work in the dairy? Who? Tell me who? If people have papers, they are going to go to a good company where you can get benefits, you can get Social Security, you can get all the stuff. Who is going to go [work in the dairy] to make fourteen dollars an hour doing that thing without vacation time, without 401(k), without everything?”
    A third source, who claimed to work at a nearby dairy, not NuStar, explained what the local dairy jobs are like. This source claimed to be eighteen years old and to have come from Guatemala two years ago, after paying smugglers $10,000, raised by extended family, to provide transit through Mexico and across the U. S. border. The source said the pay at the dairy was fourteen dollars an hour for milking cows twelve hours a day, six days a week, which, after taxes—the source had provided the dairy with a fake Social Security number—worked out to about $1,600 every two weeks. When I asked how many dairy workers in the area are undocumented, the source replied, “Todos”—everybody.

The reporter who wrote this article about undocumented labour on Iowa dairy farms was basically run out of the place by the owners of the farms.

One of the farms he wrote about is owned by none other than the family of Devin Nunes, one of Trump's biggest cheerleaders. Nunes is actually cheerleading the potential collapse of his own family's farm.

Advertisement