Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

More people saw Wild Mountain Thyme than saw this movie.

Yet only this one is seen as a 'boon'.

Where is the article, Allen Leech would want to be careful signing up to Hallmark films.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    Where is the article, Allen Leech would want to be careful signing up to Hallmark films.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0512/1221277-lisdoonvarna-matchmaking/

You'll have to scroll down for the video link. That report was shown on RTE News.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0512/1221277-lisdoonvarna-matchmaking/

You'll have to scroll down for the video link. That report was shown on RTE News.

I am always surprised at how well these TV films do, made on shoestring budgets, you'd wonder why RTÉ could not produce a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think theres room for rte, possibly in co with another broadcaster to produce a detective series on the lines of Vera, Lewis, Endeavour or Midsomer here possibly outside Dublin somewhere picturesque , would work wonders for tourism if well made imv... I know they had one based in Galway there one time Taylor I think it was called, it was a bit too smart for its own good I thought

I think theres room for rte, possibly in co with another broadcaster to produce a detective series on the lines of Vera, Lewis, Endeavour or Midsomer here possibly outside Dublin somewhere picturesque , would work wonders for tourism if well made imv... I know they had one based in Galway there one time Taylor I think it was called, it was a bit too smart for its own good I thought

Taylor was picked up by TV3, one of the producers said that with out Afric (the TG4 teen drama) it would never have been made it was produced by ZDF germany AFAIK.

RTÉ did produce a detective show in the west a decade ago, which was later co-produced by ITV, but as soon as ITV drop their support RTÉ axed the series, the first series being commissioned by RTÉ.

I suppose Smoother would be considered the latest version of this type of programming.

• Advertisement

I am always surprised at how well these TV films do, made on shoestring budgets, you'd wonder why RTÉ could not produce a better film.

They actually don't, the Hallmark movies I mean. They do very little business, they're literally just filler produced on the smallest budgets.
    Often re-use sets, wardrobes, and props, among other things.

Oh Jack Taylor was funny more than anything. One 'episode' involved a school shooter/ bomber.
    Doesn't quite work in a rural Irish setting.

They actually don't, the Hallmark movies I mean. They do very little business, they're literally just filler produced on the smallest budgets.

Neither do RTÉ :pac:

Being snobby about film I am always surprised that these movies even get sold to other broadcasters/online streamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Oh Jack Taylor was funny more than anything. One 'episode' involved a school shooter/ bomber.
    Doesn't quite work in a rural Irish setting.
    From what I remember, the series was a bit schizophrenic, couldn't make out whether it wanted to be comedic or cutting edge or what, even the wife whose more of an expert than I on these type of shows couldn't make head nor tail of it

From what I remember, the series was a bit schizophrenic, couldn't make out whether it wanted to be comedic or cutting edge or what, even the wife whose more of an expert than I on these type of shows couldn't make head nor tail of it

It was too 'trying to be American'... which doesn't suit Ireland.
    Like, the crimes (such as the 'school bomber' I mentioned) don't have to be hugely serious to make an interesting series out of it.

Dublin Murders tried to be 'Twin Peaks' in IReland... but it wasn't long before it was sniffing it's own flatulence.
    It tried to pack 2 seasons of story into a handful of episodes. Got very silly after a while.
    Especially the 'deer' scene.

'Staff voted to reject pay cuts'...

Then hire new staff. :rolleyes:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0517/1222130-rte-to-seek-additional-voluntary-redundancies/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭political analyst

With the Eurovision Song Contest Final taking place this Saturday, RTÉ isn't bothering with the Main Evening News (usually on at some time shortly before or after 9 on a Saturday) on that evening - it was the same in 2019. I remember that a full-length bulletin was broadcast on RTÉ 2 when the Eurovision final coincided with the result of the same-sex marriage referendum. So why doesn't RTÉ do that with the news every year when the Eurovision final is taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0517/1222130-rte-to-seek-additional-voluntary-redundancies/

With the exception of sport the days of live TV are numbered and RTE are flogging a dead horse to try keep the gravy training running.

For what these people are producing it is no where near worth €160 per year its pure extortion to make people pay this fee in the year 2021 - also I think by putting a broadcast charge in is unfair to people like me who have no interest in RTEs programing.

I've said it on numerous occasions in order to make this work it needs to be scaled back completely to something what TV3 is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm sure you have bright future ahead of you but I doubt it's in industrial relations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭downtheroad

elperello wrote: »
    I'm sure you have bright future ahead of you but I doubt it's in industrial relations. :)

giphy.gif

With the Eurovision Song Contest Final taking place this Saturday, RTÉ isn't bothering with the Main Evening News (usually on at some time shortly before or after 9 on a Saturday) on that evening - it was the same in 2019. I remember that a full-length bulletin was broadcast on RTÉ 2 when the Eurovision final coincided with the result of the same-sex marriage referendum. So why doesn't RTÉ do that with the news every year when the Eurovision final is taking place?

Imagine if they did this for sporting events :pac:

RTÉ have cut back on all news.

Look at youtube you'll see some clips of morning and late night news, you will not see this anymore.

Also, if I was working in RTÉ I would have rejected that pay proposal, it didn't help anyone, it was hurriedly written as if they had had one meeting at 3:45 on a Friday.

The company will also be tendering for a wide-ranging review and restructuring of its grading system and skills requirements, with a view to "rationalising and enhancing organisation agility".

I have been here 5 years, did very little to implement or consider a new grading systems, so its best that I and my team, tender for this work!

Who to blame COVID, Sporting events that didn't happen, COVID, the license fee, COVID, commercial revenue, COVID.

Suppose that move of the NSO to the NCH hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How are these guys still contracting for full time jobs (well permanent jobs) - didn't Revenue tell them no more

I have been here 5 years, did very little to implement or consider a new grading systems, so its best that I and my team, tender for this work!

Who to blame COVID, Sporting events that didn't happen, COVID, the license fee, COVID, commercial revenue, COVID.

The mystery '60 million' uncollected fees is now down to '50 million' uncollected fees.

Good job Dee... you did it.

gif-job-well-done.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

He is spoofing.
    Probably considers himself broke compared to his peers, and neighbours in Malahide.
    Private contractors make a lot of mistakes with their pension allocations, trying to be too smart.
    Billy big nuts, loading up on properties.
    Balanced managed fund - thats all you need to do, and keep paying into it consistently.

• Advertisement

He is spoofing.
    Probably considers himself broke compared to his peers, and neighbours in Malahide.
    Private contractors make a lot of mistakes with their pension allocations, trying to be too smart.
    Billy big nuts, loading up on properties.
    Balanced managed fund - thats all you need to do, and keep paying into it consistently.

If you are talking about who I think you are talking about, I'd say he could easily get a place in classic hits or even Virgin Media, he prob wouldn't get much from either but they could decide to let the contract end and he could find something else pretty quickly. Though he's not worth keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's gas cause back in 2017 he was bragging how much he was getting paid

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/im-glad-nobody-knows-what-rte-is-paying-me-says-station-stalwart-marty-whelan-36115832.html

But Marty, No one likes the poor mouth. You've been on rte for 30 years. No one is going to buy your "I'm broke" sh*te.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Marty the person probably doesn’t have a lot of cash floating around,
    But I can pretty much guarantee that Marty the company has fine big cash deposits that it only paid corporate tax on, while Marty only ‘earned around €30k a year to keep his tax liability as low as possible…..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Covid is saving costs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭political analyst

Imagine if they did this for sporting events :pac:

RTÉ have cut back on all news.

Look at youtube you'll see some clips of morning and late night news, you will not see this anymore.

Also, if I was working in RTÉ I would have rejected that pay proposal, it didn't help anyone, it was hurriedly written as if they had had one meeting at 3:45 on a Friday.

Interestingly, it appears that the absence of the Main Evening News on Eurovision Final night hasn't caused most viewers to so much as bat an eyelid! :confused:

3 presenters for the 2FM breakfast show. :rolleyes:

Donncha O'Callagan and Mullen. Join the team. Why are they joing nobody knows and nobody should care, one can only hope that neither could ever replace the form co-host.

Maybe he is moving to Game On, yes who replaces Donncha on Game On. After all it couldn't possibly be hosted by just one presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

It's gas cause back in 2017 he was bragging how much he was getting paid

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/im-glad-nobody-knows-what-rte-is-paying-me-says-station-stalwart-marty-whelan-36115832.html

But Marty, No one likes the poor mouth. You've been on rte for 30 years. No one is going to buy your "I'm broke" sh*te.

I think he is ok to listen to compared to many on the radio, by christ, I despise joe, who is actually painful for me to listen to, that chaps incessant stuttering and jibberish could make me crash my car.

That said, Marty poor mouthing about his money is bad form, puts me right off him, must be living in cloud cuckoo land. As pointed to in the link, he has caught himself out, not like we didn't have a good idea. It's a quite disgusting thing to say really, given what a lot of people earn and then are left to live on. Someone might come along and say anyone can drag themselves up by the bootstraps, but RTE presenters at the top end are paid out of proportion to their value imo.
    I'm sure it must be available what he is on?

Marty the person probably doesn’t have a lot of cash floating around,
    But I can pretty much guarantee that Marty the company has fine big cash deposits that it only paid corporate tax on, while Marty only ‘earned around €30k a year to keep his tax liability as low as possible…..

Most likely the case,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just seen the ad for ‘Dear Gay’

Where they’ll be reading letters sent to Gay Byrne’s radio show over the years…….

Even in death they are still turning to Gay to bring in the viewers….

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

More innovative programming from RTE

• Advertisement

Just seen the ad for ‘Dear Gay’

Where they’ll be reading letters sent to Gay Byrne’s radio show over the years…….

Even in death they are still turning to Gay to bring in the viewers….

RTE using Gay Byrne and Nostalgia to bring in pitiful ratings.

Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

I used to really like Reeling in the Years. I've avoided the 2010's one.
    RTE been trading on Nostalgia since Dee took over. I'm tired of it.

Advertisement