Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you get on with your neighbours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mine are great, we regularly hang out, do beers and BBQ's. Play football every week with all the dads from the area.

In the Summer we have a big get together, clear the street, move the cars, put down benches, get our BBQs together, hire some beer equipment and have a big party. Brings everyone together. We also do something similar in Winter but not as big.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Winterlong wrote: »
    Ah here, that is just dying for a joke about trimming your neighbour's bush...

Purely from a horticultural point of view. My machine wouldn't go near their gynecol region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Everybody needs good Neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The OP sounds like tremendous fun and personally I would like to hear more of these fascinating anecdotes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm disappointed that nobody has said they get on like a house on fire.

Although maybe that might plant seeds in the head of the OP.

Never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

****e - Lazy ***** on the dole Social pays their rent I pay a Mortgage (both houses either side of me)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you'd managed to get out the door without the neighbour's dad seeing your wedges, what would you have done once you got on the bus? Wouldn't the people on the bus have seen them? The shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good walls make good neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Grand one one side but the other neighbour is still raging over my bull breaking out and bulling a few of his cows. The starved Cnut got his cows serviced for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Everybody needs good Neighbours

With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Good walls make good neighbours.

Are they the Walls from Crumlin. Yeah I got on great with them before they moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If your neighbours are ever annoying you, just remember the golden phrase: 'I'm eating my breakfast, Kate!'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

AMKC wrote: »
    Hidden Figures. I suppose because I am self conscious of how I look. I got new Wedges and was going to wear them out but think I will just wear flats now.

You had to hide your figure preventing you from seeing Hidden Figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

I like the neighbors either side of my house, salt of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Rarely talk to them but they seem nice, we're just on different schedules so rarely even see them.

They left an expensive box of chocolates and champagne outside out door for christmas. It was a nice gesture but i would have rather they didnt, basically guilted into buying stuff for them too. haha.

Should be moving into a new house (terraced) soon so that should be an interesting to see what the neighbours are like.
    Guy on the left is an old man who keeps a nice garden with flowers etc, so i dont expect any issues with him and havent met the people on the right.

I cant image moving into a house after paying a fortune and having the neighbours from hell. Hopefully not. Atleast our livingroom and bedrooms are on the old mans side of the house so if the right house is a party house them shouldnt cause any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Tayschren wrote: »
    salt of the earth

Salt of the earth sometimes means people who drink Dutch Gold in the front lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Salt of the earth sometimes means people who drink Dutch Gold in the front lawn.

And sometimes people who drink Dutch Gold on the front lawn are salt of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If you wore your flats OP, you might have been able to run for the bus.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I live next to a mosque - get woken up by the fajr at 5 every morning. Plenty of busses though, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Me I despise my direct neighbour. They are ignorant stuck up look at me not very friendly people. Its not like I have not tried to get to know them but they are so far up there own arse I am just not bothered anymore. They can,t even close a front door correctly every time they slam it you would think she is trying to bring the wall with her. Just this morning he decides to mow the lawns even do there shorter than a normal persons lawn is but he decides to mow them anyway. Thats her father by the way ye he does everything for her. I would have had no problem if I was not about to go out for me walk to catch a bus actually but because of him not only did I miss the bus but will be late for the film I have booked in the cinema. Most of my other neighbours are nice they will say hello and talk.

Your neighbour is probably terrified of you.

Mine are all fine. Don't socialize with them but they're friendly enough and would help out. Our kids all pal around together. One of my next door neighbours is a bit of a nut but harmlessly so.

• I have no positive or negative feelings about my nearest neighbour really other that pure bewildered amusement most of the time. He is an exceptionally - how to put this - devout Christian who seems to take massive exception to my existence - my relationship - my lifestyle and just about everything I am or I represent.

This totality of that however manifests itself in the silliest of ways. From hissing like a snake at us when one or more of us pass him - to holding ceremonies where he mumbles Latin and flicks what I assume he believes to be holy water over onto our land with an implement that I think is that plastic thing people use to throw tennis balls for dogs. Oh and enough random empty complaints to the gardai about us that I am now on first name terms with a few of the officers who tend to get sent around.

For all his piety however he does seem to develop an interest in astronomy around the same time every year - around the time we would generally be using our garden in a reduced to no clothing manner. His interest in his telescope and astronomy however seems to be solely focused on the day time - and in our garden. I can only imagine which Venus he has in mind at the time.

I have no positive or negative feelings about my nearest neighbour really other that pure bewildered amusement most of the time. He is an exceptionally - how to put this - devout Christian who seems to take massive exception to my existence - my relationship - my lifestyle and just about everything I am or I represent.

This totality of that however manifests itself in the silliest of ways. From hissing like a snake at us when one or more of us pass him - to holding ceremonies where he mumbles Latin and flicks what I assume he believes to be holy water over onto our land with an implement that I think is that plastic thing people use to throw tennis balls for dogs. Oh and enough random empty complaints to the gardai about us that I am now on first name terms with a few of the officers who tend to get sent around.

For all his piety however he does seem to develop an interest in astronomy around the same time every year - around the time we would generally be using our garden in a reduced to no clothing manner. His interest in his telescope and astronomy however seems to be solely focused on the day time - and in our garden. I can only imagine which Venus he has in mind at the time.

Surely he should be charged with wasting police time

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Been living in my house now for 10 years.

My neighbours are great, always willing to do you a turn but not in your face too much.

Before this house, I lived in a terraced house with very thin walls. Domestic violence was very common with one neighbour, 6 months of torture listening to a thug shouting abuse or worse battering his family, I called the Gardai several times. Peaceful now and I don't take it for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

OP...What a load of shyte.

• Surely he should be charged with wasting police time

Not sure how that works. I think some level of evidence is required to secure such a conviction. Someone more versed in that law will have to answer this for you - I can't.

But if his complaints - even if unfounded - could be of a type that are themselves genuine - such as complaining about noise or nudity or use of a naked flame or other things - then even if he is making up the complaints entirely it would be hard to secure a time wasting conviction against him.

But it also requires someone willing to mount that complaint and I think the guards I am friendly with are the same as me - they pity him more than anything.

Plus every time they come over I feed them with stuff I've made and they love it - they don't want that to dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

jester77 wrote: »
    Mine are great, we regularly hang out, do beers and BBQ's. Play football every week with all the dads from the area.

In the Summer we have a big get together, clear the street, move the cars, put down benches, get our BBQs together, hire some beer equipment and have a big party. Brings everyone together. We also do something similar in Winter but not as big.

I think you misunderstood the question, the OP is asking how you get on with your neighbours (ie the people you live beside) not the general storyline from the TV show 'Neighbours' which is what you described. :D
    jester77 wrote: »
    I cant image moving into a house after paying a fortune and having the neighbours from hell. Hopefully not. Atleast our livingroom and bedrooms are on the old mans side of the house so if the right house is a party house them shouldnt cause any issues.

Maybe I'm different but who my neighbours are is a massive consideration for me when I was buying/moving house. I refused to even consider 2 houses after spotting the celtic jersey wearing layabouts that lived next door at one of them even though the house was perfect and disregarded another as the house adjoining was a rental house which (according to other neighbours) had numerous different tenants every year. Now I realise if you are in Dublin then you may not have that luxury but for me, its one of the first things I consider. Thankfully we were able tomove out of the town to a greenfield site and a new house with no neighbours within 300m and unlikely to be any time soon either....perfect.

Not sure how that works. I think some level of evidence is required to secure such a conviction. Someone more versed in that law will have to answer this for you - I can't.

But if his complaints - even if unfounded - could be of a type that are themselves genuine - such as complaining about noise or nudity or use of a naked flame or other things - then even if he is making up the complaints entirely it would be hard to secure a time wasting conviction against him.

But it also requires someone willing to mount that complaint and I think the guards I am friendly with are the same as me - they pity him more than anything.

Plus every time they come over I feed them with stuff I've made and they love it - they don't want that to dry up.

Well if they keep calling over and keep finding nothing wrong then they should be having words with the neighbor and eventually build evidence that he is wasting police time.
    Its **** like this that causes the response time for actual serious issues to be significantly reduced.

While you might not really mind, and the cops dont mind being fed and having an easy day, some person who is being assaulted or just had their house broken into having to wait for ages for a cop to turn up definitely minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Well holy God!

How did your neighbour cause you to miss the bus and more importantly what were you going to see in the cinema? :p

Rear Window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Just this morning he decides to mow the lawns even do there shorter than a normal persons lawn is but he decides to mow them anyway.

I'm curious. How long or short is a "normal" person's lawn grass? Have you measured this neighbour's lawn? Seriously, though, this is a totally random and arbitrary grievance to hold against a person.

I mean, I live in a block of flats. I have neighbours who fight to the death out in the corridor on a regular basis (and seemingly for almost any reason). That does my head in. The fighting begins, then they're kicking each others doors in and the shouting, swearing and slamming doors goes on into the wee small hours. So yeah, that puts my head away. Apart from those two or three problem tenants, everyone keeps themselves to themselves.

Advertisement