Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone working as a qualified psychotherapist?

Options
  • 28-02-2016 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

If so, can you give me an insight into what setting you work in? Do you have your own practice? Many clients?

I'm doing a part-time introductory course into counselling and psychotherapy. It's the beginning of a potential qualification that will allow me to practice alone. When the intro course is finished, I need to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into, what the day job will entail. The course will require many years of learning and many years of personal therapy.

All I am sure about at this point is that I really enjoy the intro material and being in therapy myself, love self exploration.

Comments

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone can give any insight please?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I don't think there are any guarantees. Our lecturers say some counsellors get so many clients from word of mouth they don't need to advertise, and others struggle to find any clients at all.
    I'll tell ya, there's no shortage of volunteer work! It also looks like there's no shortage of "low cost" work (in Dublin that's 30 an hour, which after room rental and supervision costs leaves you with maybe 10-15 euro an hour?, would take quite a while to pay off the debt from the college fees on that). I don't know what's going to happen, I'm only just starting out, but hey no one else has answered yet so this is a bump.

I don't think there are any guarantees. Our lecturers say some counsellors get so many clients from word of mouth they don't need to advertise, and others struggle to find any clients at all.
    I'll tell ya, there's no shortage of volunteer work! It also looks like there's no shortage of "low cost" work (in Dublin that's 30 an hour, which after room rental and supervision costs leaves you with maybe 10-15 euro an hour?, would take quite a while to pay off the debt from the college fees on that). I don't know what's going to happen, I'm only just starting out, but hey no one else has answered yet so this is a bump.

Thanks so much it is great to hear some insight. Do you enjoy it thus far?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Oh yeah it's a great experience, very meaningful. I'm really glad I'm doing it and so glad I found out about it.

Oh yeah it's a great experience, very meaningful. I'm really glad I'm doing it and so glad I found out about it.

Thanks SuperRabbit I think it’s something that would really appeal to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I now have a PGDip in psychotherapy. Just finished the 2 year course this year. To qualify I need to do another course but I will try to get more experience before applying. Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Challenging and anxiety-provoking! But great experience seeing clients.

Advertisement