Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Ever Powerlifting Meet

Options
  • 28-12-2015 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys!

So I'm looking to take part in my first powerlifting meet in March with the Irish Powerlifting Organisation.

I am just after a bit of advice for anyone who has taken part in one before. I've Google it loads, but get told a millions different thing's.

I don't have a singlet, and don't really want to compete in one unless it's the rules. I use wrist wraps when I bench and compression cuffs on my elbows when I squat and that's really all i use. Would this be suitable for a competition.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Pretty sure you can do your first comp without singlet. neither the wraps or cuffs will be allowed for raw lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭COH

Zomb13! wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So I'm looking to take part in my first powerlifting meet in March with the Irish Powerlifting Organisation.

I am just after a bit of advice for anyone who has taken part in one before. I've Google it loads, but get told a millions different thing's.

I don't have a singlet, and don't really want to compete in one unless it's the rules. I use wrist wraps when I bench and compression cuffs on my elbows when I squat and that's really all i use. Would this be suitable for a competition.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Here is a link to the IPO rulebook

http://ipopowerlifting.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/WPU-Rule-Book-14.pdf

If you are unsure about anything the easiest thing to do is to message the IPO facebook page https://www.facebook.com/IPO-Irish-Powerlifting-Organization-123628398951/?fref=ts for clarification.

Why don't you want to wear a singlet? I know the IDFPA has some sort of leniency for singlets for first time lifters but I'm not so sure about the IPO or GPC... If you plan on competing again you'll have to get one anyway so my advice would be to get used to it as soon as you can.

You might find this link that I posted here before helpful:

http://powerliftingireland.com/the-abc-of-irish-powerlifting/

Lifting at it myself so I'll see you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zomb13!

Thanks for that :) it was a great help.

Which group would you personally say is best to lift with for a beginner? I was originally thinking the IDFPA, but though the IPO would be better. Just to test the waters.

I was hoping not to wear one because I haven't trained in one like you said. But, it will be best if I start.

Cheers again . Hopefully see you around :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

The IPO in March will also be my first full power comp. I did a small club comp a few weeks back to get an idea of what is involved in the day and i learned a lot from it , I approached the day as if it was a full on meet and got great experience from it ... Including figuring out the type of people to avoid in the warm-up area and how to warm up for something that will last 4-5 hours ... Biggest lesson listen to you coach (if you have one) as if they are a real coach their advice is invaluable and gained from experience.

Hanley's video is a very good reference guide as to where people fall down.

At the IPO the singlet is required, wrist wraps can be worn for the bench and as far as I know sleeves are not allowed.

Your coach should be able to clarify all these things ... Assuming you have one?

• Advertisement

This will mostly be to get a feel for the meets. I'm not overly concerned where I finish, just as long as I don't bomb out lol. I've looked into the singlet and will get one. Someone previously said it's best to get used to it whilst training.

That cuffs are more to help with elbow tendonitus. But I'll be getting used to not having them. Just in case.

I look forward to getting there and hopefully meeting people and getting some advice's (get it) :D

This will mostly be to get a feel for the meets. I'm not overly concerned where I finish, just as long as I don't bomb out lol. I've looked into the singlet and will get one. Someone previously said it's best to get used to it whilst training.

That cuffs are more to help with elbow tendonitus. But I'll be getting used to not having them. Just in case.

I look forward to getting there and hopefully meeting people and getting some advice's (get it) :D

Have you a coach?

No. No coach I'm afraid. Just YouTube and Google really. Got a few people at the gym that I ask to check for and spot. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

go in on each disipline with a handy opener, then you will not bomb out

Gotta wear a singlet in IPO.

Wrist wraps are fine for bench (make sure you take the elasticated thumb loops off before you step on the platform).

Compression cuffs are a no-no, but just wear them while warming up and pop em off before you get onto the platform.

Aim to go 9 for 9 - open on sometihng that is almost insultingly light for you.

Benching after 3 heavy squats is an absolute bitch, and will most likely kill your bench strength unless you're used to it.

Get used to pausing your benches in training.

You won't be ready for your first comp until you've done 3 of them.

Chat to people in the warm up room. Tell em it's your first comp. You'll get lots of help.

Powerlifting is one of the funniest sports in the world. You've some extremely hardcore dangerous guys you think you wouldn't want to meet down a dark alley that will be the soundest most helpful motherf*ckers alive when you're on the platform with em :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that man. Super helpful :D I'll start training with out the cuffs.

I'm looking forward to taking part and meeting new people. I've heard a few things about what people can be like there, but looking forward to it.

I'd add to what Hanley said there about fellow competitors ... I've been in competitive sports all my life and bizarrely lifting is the only sport where all competitors are supporting everyone else .. Everyone just wants to see everyone hit their numbers.

I just found that some people are too intense for me when I am warming up. My prep tends to be very low key and I'd prefer to have hood up and calming music in my ears right up until it's my time in the platform.

Thanks for all that man. Super helpful :D I'll start training with out the cuffs.

I'm looking forward to taking part and meeting new people. I've heard a few things about what people can be like there, but looking forward to it.

Train with the cuffs. Jsut take them off before you step on the platform. They won't make any meaningful difference to your tekkers or ability so there's no point taking them offi nthe gym and butchering your elbows.

...also - figure out WHY squatting is hurting your elbows, because it shouldn't, and fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

whippet wrote: »
    The IPO in March will also be my first full power comp. I did a small club comp a few weeks back to get an idea of what is involved in the day and i learned a lot from it , I approached the day as if it was a full on meet and got great experience from it ... Including figuring out the type of people to avoid in the warm-up area and how to warm up for something that will last 4-5 hours ... Biggest lesson listen to you coach (if you have one) as if they are a real coach their advice is invaluable and gained from experience.

Hanley's video is a very good reference guide as to where people fall down.

At the IPO the singlet is required, wrist wraps can be worn for the bench and as far as I know sleeves are not allowed.

Your coach should be able to clarify all these things ... Assuming you have one?

Sleeves are allowed.

just wondering if the OP had any update on this, did you compete at the IPOs over the weekend?

Advertisement