Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who dont like sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I feel sorry for people who take a dislike to sport. They are really missing out on something special. I don't think there is anything that can quite match the agony or ecstacy of an epic sporting encounter. I have been through every range of emotion and back, watching various sports over the years. Experiences that the sports haters simply miss out on.

I love literature (non sporting, don't like sports books at all), film, video games, etc. But, for me, none of these can match the *intensity* of emotion produced by an epic sporting encounter. Why? Because when an epic encounter is occurring, part of you is thinking: "My god, this is real! This is actually happening!". Fictional tales lack this ingredient. This, I believe, is the difference in intensity. Real people are creating this story. This drama.

It may sound like I'm saying that sport is better than literature, etc. I'm not. Its all relative. I just don't know why some people choose to deny themselves the enjoyment of following sport.

:-)

i suspect that you left out "on the telly" from the end of a lot of the sentences in that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Bambi wrote: »
    i suspect that you left out "on the telly" from the end of a lot of the sentences in that post

No. I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I think the Neanderthal comment previously is correct especially when it comes to football. soccer fans always seem to say that any-one not into football is gay, or something else, "it's a mans game" lol, yeah right.

A bunch of grown men chasing after a ball for 90 minutes doesn't titillate my brain, it bores me to death, ball goes up, ball goes down. The neanderthals are the folk that do nothing else but talk about this extremely boring sport, with a serious lack of intelligence to promote their brain to much better interesting hobbies.

I'm straight as an arrow, but I cannot stand soccer, it just melts my brain. Even thinking of sitting there watching it on the TV makes me want to get sick :D. Not every-one likes sports, and I can understand why, especially when it comes to soccer.

zenno wrote: »
    I think the Neanderthal comment previously is correct especially when it comes to football. soccer fans always seem to say that any-one not into football is gay, or something else, "it's a mans game" lol, yeah right.

A bunch of grown men chasing after a ball for 90 minutes doesn't titillate my brain, it bores me to death, ball goes up, ball goes down. The neanderthals are the folk that do nothing else but talk about this extremely boring sport, with a serious lack of intelligence to promote their brain to much better interesting hobbies.

I'm straight as an arrow, but I cannot stand soccer, it just melts my brain. Even thinking of sitting there watching it on the TV makes me want to get sick :D. Not every-one likes sports, and I can understand why, especially when it comes to soccer.

What an out of context post...

What an out of context post...

Here we go....It seems I hit a nerve. My neanderthal comment seems to have come to fruition.

• Advertisement

Here we go....It seems I hit a nerve. My neanderthal comment seems to have come to fruition.

Not at all. It was just a strange post. Who was it even aimed at? Why was it even in this thread? Perhaps you meant to post this in the soccer forum?

Not at all. It was just a strange post. Who was it even aimed at? Why was it even in this thread? Perhaps you meant to post this in the soccer forum?

It is simply related to the topic at hand "sports" so it is perfectly in context ;)

It is simply related to the topic at hand "sports" so it is perfectly in context ;)

But as I clearly pointed out at least twice now in this thread, I'm talking about people who have a blanket dislike of all sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Maybe Post #59 by Doctor DooM, which mentions neanderthals and mentions folks who seem to regard non-sports lovers as "gay"? I could be wrong here, but that's how I read it.

Eeden wrote: »
    Maybe Post #59 by Doctor DooM, which mentions neanderthals and mentions folks who seem to regard non-sports lovers as "gay"? I could be wrong here, but that's how I read it.

You are perfectly correct. At least some-one read the whole thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I get the appeal of watching something like Snooker or Darts on TV (in that every move counts and there is always a victory) but I'd rather watch a 90 minute experimental film about paint drying than sit through an entire televised football match again.

No problems with people who like to watch it but growing up I used to feel so left out of conversations often with the fake assumption that it's something all lads must like. I kinda started to resent it but it's not so bad now in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

In the OP you can replace sport with any hobby out there.

"I feel sorry for people who take a dislike to ___"

Gaming, hiking, reading, collecting, DIY, fishing..........

It's all down to peoples preference, people can get the same enjoyment from something else, doesn't have to be sport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

To be honest most sports bore me senseless..unless I know someone on the team (or have money riding on the result) watching some millionaire 17 year olds booting a ball around for an hour and a half, or some one throwing themselves over a bar or whatever just doesnt interest me.
    Having said that I love a lot of odd stuff that a lot of people would be bored silly with, so each to their own and if following "your" team with your frends or watching F1 or Golf or whatever makes you happy then more power to you.

In the OP you can replace sport with any hobby out there.

"I feel sorry for people who take a dislike to ___"

Gaming, hiking, reading, collecting, DIY, fishing..........

It's all down to peoples preference, people can get the same enjoyment from something else, doesn't have to be sport.

I already addressed this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Anyone I've ever met who's had a blanket dislike for Sport, hasn't exactly compensated for it by having loads of other incredible interests, hobbies or conversational abilities.
    In fact they tend to be the most anally retentive bores one could ever have the misfortune to meet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'm fairly apathetic to sport to be honest. I watch a bit of MMA and that's about it.

What annoys me is the borderline obsession with sport we have in this country (and many others) and the reverence in which we hold sportspeople.

At the weekends the main radio stations are unlistenable because they have shows on for 8+ hours of the day picking over the minutiae of whatever games in whatever codes are on that day. There simply isn't that much worthwhile to say about sport every single weekend. Sports talk radio is an exercise in redundant repetition.

:pac: "Hey, didn't/won't those guys play well/poorly"
    :pac: "Yeah, here's what the should have done/should do"
    :pac: "None of what we're saying actually means anything, is any way insightful or interesting or makes any difference to what has happened/what will happen.

Sports people being describe as being "brave" or "heroes" is disgusting as well.

You can kick a ball real good or run very fast. Big ****ing deal.

Save someones life or fight to defend your people or country and i'll call you a hero. Until then you're just a grown man/woman who has somehow managed to make a better living playing a made-up game than most A&E staff make stopping people from dying or soldiers make to defend our sovereignty.

Heroes my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sports people being describe as being "brave" or "heroes" is disgusting as well.

Save someones life or fight to defend your people or country and i'll call you a hero. Until then you're just a grown man/woman who has somehow managed to make a better living playing a made-up game than most A&E staff make stopping people from dying or soldiers make to defend our sovereignty.

Heroes my arse.

There are numerous instances throughout sport of people swallowing their tongue after a nasty collision and fellow sportsmen coming to their rescue by reaching in and pulling it out from their throat, would you not consider that person a hero?

Also plenty of footballers/sportspeople have set up academies in 3rd world countries to try give youngsters there a better life and to also give them a chance to showcase their talents. Unfortunately theses sort of stories don't sell tabloid newspapers so you don't see them reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't hate sports but have zero interest in watching something like football. When I was sharing a house with my mates a few years ago every 2nd day was like this:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

kfallon wrote: »

Also plenty of footballers/sportspeople have set up academies in 3rd world countries to try give youngsters there a better life and to also give them a chance to showcase their talents. Unfortunately theses sort of stories don't sell tabloid newspapers so you don't see them reported.

Why not just use their money to build schools so that even the non-sporty kids could benefit?

Setting up your own academy stinks of poaching talent early to cream a percentage of future agent fees.

Your other point is a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I can't stand watching sports, except extreme sports or maybe a foreign sport I had never seen before. I find nothing else in the world so boring.

But I love playing sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

You've had enough of whatever youre on...

I take it that one went way over your head !

Not surprising considering you think its logical that everyone should share the same opinions and preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Anyone I've ever met who's had a blanket dislike for Sport, hasn't exactly compensated for it by having loads of other incredible interests, hobbies or conversational abilities.
    In fact they tend to be the most anally retentive bores one could ever have the misfortune to meet.

That would probably be because they don't share the same interests as you. As in your case its sport, which, I'm sure you talk about all the time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

The endless talk gets to me. Just let me watch the ****ing thing.

As Brian O'Driscoll has said.

“We compete. We want to be out there, want to have that pressure, that squeeze on you, because that’s what we live for, that adrenaline rush. You don’t get that in the stand. You’re cheering the lads on and wanting them to do well, but you can’t experience the emotions they had.”

Nothing beats playing.

--> irishtimes.com/sport/almighty-bod-quick-to-point-out-that-he-s-a-mere-mortal-and-not-that-big-either-1.1567595

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There's an awful lot of spite from people who don't watch sports towards people that do. I wonder where that comes from...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I like sports very much and I spend quite a bit of time playing, watching and reading about sports.

What I do not like, or at least do not understand, is when people identify themselves in relation to certain sports brands.

I am often in the pub and have to listen to brands such as Liverpool and Manchester United referred to using pronouns such as "us", "we", "our" etc... This is quality bull**** in my opinion and it's what makes football (and likely other professional sports) look ridiculous to the unsporty.

National and regional sports teams are slightly more legitimate for this sort of thing I suppose but on the other hand defining yourself through nationalism/parochialism isn't all that much better than identifying yourself in terms of a sports brand so who knows.

I love to watch good football (soccer) in particular and often have to explain that I don't follow a team and simply enjoy the sport. Why is this so difficult?

Overflow wrote: »
    I take it that one went way over your head !

Not surprising considering you think its logical that everyone should share the same opinions and preferences.

No, I saw the silly little point you were trying to make. Like a good few in this thread, you entirely missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm fairly apathetic to sport to be honest. I watch a bit of MMA and that's about it.

What annoys me is the borderline obsession with sport we have in this country (and many others) and the reverence in which we hold sportspeople.

At the weekends the main radio stations are unlistenable because they have shows on for 8+ hours of the day picking over the minutiae of whatever games in whatever codes are on that day. There simply isn't that much worthwhile to say about sport every single weekend. Sports talk radio is an exercise in redundant repetition.

:pac: "Hey, didn't/won't those guys play well/poorly"
    :pac: "Yeah, here's what the should have done/should do"
    :pac: "None of what we're saying actually means anything, is any way insightful or interesting or makes any difference to what has happened/what will happen.

Heroes my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I like sports very much and I spend quite a bit of time playing, watching and reading about sports.

What I do not like, or at least do not understand, is when people identify themselves in relation to certain sports brands.

I am often in the pub and have to listen to brands such as Liverpool and Manchester United referred to using pronouns such as "us", "we", "our" etc... This is quality bull**** in my opinion and it's what makes football (and likely other professional sports) look ridiculous to the unsporty.

National and regional sports teams are slightly more legitimate for this sort of thing I suppose but on the other hand defining yourself through nationalism/parochialism isn't all that much better than identifying yourself in terms of a sports brand so who knows.

I love to watch good football (soccer) in particular and often have to explain that I don't follow a team and simply enjoy the sport. Why is this so difficult?

This comes up a lot and I never understand people's problem with it. It just seems like a stick to beat people who relate to something in a way people don't understand.

When people use the term 'we', it's a way of identifying a closeness they feel with the team and fans of that team. When you look at a particular 'brand', as you call it, over time the players, coaches and personnel change constantly. The only consistent thing about said brand is the fanbase. They are the thing that keeps a brand/team/organisation going, a consistent collective 'being' when even the home base can potentially move these days. So, if anything, fans have more justification to use the term 'we' than anyone else.

It's not because they think they're a member of the team on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

I feel sorry for all the people who don't have the exact same interests as me. I get great enjoyment from my hobbies and everyone who does different things is really missing out. What boring lives they must have.

I think the point made was obvious:

Sports covers and garners a huge range of interest. There are hundreds of sports.

To say you don't like any sports is like saying you don't like any types of films at all.

And that is bit odd in my opinion, regardless of what other interests you may have.
    What a condescending OP. I feel bad for people who don't like shopping, it's therapeutic and really enjoyable and a good way to spend a day, how could someone hate that?

Meh - we all love different things. Watching 12+ sweaty men running after a ball does nothing for me, personally, but hey! Each to their own

Terrible example. :P

You've picked shopping as a past time and then compared it to one game you don't seem to like.

How many forms of shopping is there compared to the number of sports there are?

As I've said, there are tons of sports out there. Maybe some people just haven't found the right one.

If you're not willing to try something, you won't know if you like it.

I abhor watching golf. Always have. I like to play it though.
    I feel sorry for people who take a dislike to metal. They are really missing out on something special. I don't think there is anything that can quite match the agony or ecstacy of an epic metal gig. I have been through every range of emotion and back, watching various metal gigs over the years. Experiences that the metal haters simply miss out on.

Metal in this example = rugby say, not music. So another bad example. :p
    Why not just use their money to build schools so that even the non-sporty kids could benefit?

Setting up your own academy stinks of poaching talent early to cream a percentage of future agent fees.

Your other point is a bit of a stretch.

We're onto conspiracy theories now...

They set up academies to give kids the chance that they had to make it to the very top because they may not otherwise have the opportunity in today's game.

Why would a player want to 'poach' talent? Poaching is the wrong word here also because it's not really poaching if they've no facilities or clubs in which they're affiliated.

You can use Google there to see the good a lot of footballers have done for various charities, but it appears you've more interest in belittling a sport you don't like as opposed to providing any actual facts or evidence to support your argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I doubt there's more than a handful of people, when push comes to shove, who don't enjoy say a World Cup penalty shootout or an Irish gold medal at the olympics.

It's just, as people have said already, many people don't like the endless talk about sports.

I like watching sport now and again - most sports...was watching the skiiing yesterday and it was great. I also like some of the sports news chat on radio (newstalk especially). But I can't stand the radio shows on Sat/Sun afternoons that follow live sport as-it-happens. I find it pretty useless tbh.

Advertisement