Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who dont like sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

YbFocus wrote: »

Motorsport, that as a genre of sport is quite different, it's fantastic.

It might be fantastic, don't care much for it myself. It's not a sport though as it's not human powered.

Darts is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

MrCreosote wrote: »
    It might be fantastic, don't care much for it myself. It's not a sport though as it's not human powered.

Darts is though.

Not sure i follow your logic here. What has 'human powered' or no to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Perfectly understandable not to like it but it's amusing when people always have to make some snide comment about its supposed conformity, while ironically they're usually into something just as stratified and incomprehensible to others, like films or gaming.

Its like a rule that the comment always has to be in the form of a deeply corny, bitter play on words too, like sportsteam or teamball.

Mena wrote: »
    Not sure i follow your logic here. What has 'human powered' or no to do with it?

For something to be classified as a sport, the exertion has to come directly from the person's muscle.

So motor-"sports", horse racing, showjumping etc are powered by petrol or animals, so they are games or pastimes rather than sports.

For something to be classified as a sport, the exertion has to come directly from the person's muscle.

So motor-"sports", horse racing, showjumping etc are powered by petrol or animals, so they are games or pastimes rather than sports.

So jockeys and drivers are completely immobile and powerless and strapped to their cars and horses for show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I've zero interest in sports! They dont appeal to me in anyway. My family is obsessed with hurling, rugby, and soccer! my dad would spend hours watching golf on his day off. Don't know how he does it! I'm crap at sport and used to have to play hurling in school, actually I was awful at any kind of sport we used to do in PE. I really don't see the appeal to sport but that's just me!

anncoates wrote: »
    So jockeys and drivers are completely immobile and powerless and strapped to their cars and horses for show?

Nope, they steer them. They don't power them though.

Horse carrying person- not a sport. Person carrying horse- sport. See the difference.

No point giving out to me about it- I don't make the rules about what's accepted as a sport or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't actively watch sport throughout the week or anything but don't dislike it in a blanket way either. Absolutely hate football/soccer though, it's a sh1te game played by overpaid prima donnas who'd be carted off a pitch for tripping over their own feet or being hit with a stiff breeze. There was a match on the other night in the pub and sweet jesus, they may as well have been swinging handbags at each other, you got bumped into, calm down cupcake no need for the hysterics.
    Rugby is good, NFL and ice hockey are good, haven't watched MMA in ages but that's come a long way over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I feel sorry for all the people who don't have the exact same interests as me. I get great enjoyment from my hobbies and everyone who does different things is really missing out. What boring lives they must have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yup, just like a hurley player just holds the stick out for it to do all the work ~ the car, bike, truck etc does it all too!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nope, they steer them. They don't power them though.

Horse carrying person- not a sport. Person carrying horse- sport. See the difference.

No point giving out to me about it- I don't make the rules about what's accepted as a sport or not.

Who does make these rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Obviously you have never seena race driver after a race, he's in bits.
    Maybe you can't get your head around the stamina and performance you need to run in motorsport. . MotorSPORT.

F1 or rally driving takes crazy amounts of concentration, reflexes and muscle memory, so yeah they're sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I love literature (non sporting, don't like sports books at all), film, video games, etc. But, for me, none of these can match the *intensity* of emotion produced by an epic sporting encounter. Why? Because when an epic encounter is occurring, part of you is thinking: "My god, this is real! This is actually happening!". Fictional tales lack this ingredient. This, I believe, is the difference in intensity. Real people are creating this story. This drama.
    You just need a better imagination.

Obviously you have never seena race driver after a race, he's in bits.
    Maybe you can't get your head around the stamina and performance you need to run in motorsport. . MotorSPORT.

Just because they're physically fit doesn't make it a sport. I'm wrecked after a decent afternoon shopping in Dundrum- that needs stamina and concentration. It isn't a sport either.
    krudler wrote: »
    F1 or rally driving takes crazy amounts of concentration, reflexes and muscle memory, so yeah they're sports.

So do lots of other things- flying a plane, typing a response on boards.ie. Those things don't make them sports. The main distinguishing feature of a sport is the physical exertion- which must come mainly from the human participant, not the horse or the petrol.

You still haven't said who this official sports decider body is. Who made the rules for what is and isn't a sport? You claimed that you don't decide the rules but I think that's exactly what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Just because they're physically fit doesn't make it a sport. I'm wrecked after a decent afternoon shopping in Dundrum- that needs stamina and concentration. It isn't a sport either.

So do lots of other things- flying a plane, typing a response on boards.ie. Those things don't make them sports. The main distinguishing feature of a sport is the physical exertion- which must come mainly from the human participant, not the horse or the petrol.

The car is just a stone without its driver, the same way that the football won't move without someone to kick it.
    I've googled it there and it turns out your wrong anyway.
    It says that a sport is only a sport if it requires intense physical activity, it then lists motorsport.
    If you're not into it you may not realise the performance and stamina a driver needs.

So do lots of other things- flying a plane, typing a response on boards.ie. Those things don't make them sports.l.

They could be if you were doing those things in competition with other experts at those activities and people enjoyed watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What a condescending OP. I feel bad for people who don't like shopping, it's therapeutic and really enjoyable and a good way to spend a day, how could someone hate that?

Meh - we all love different things. Watching 12+ sweaty men running after a ball does nothing for me, personally, but hey! Each to their own

Lyaiera wrote: »
    You still haven't said who this official sports decider body is. Who made the rules for what is and isn't a sport? You claimed that you don't decide the rules but I think that's exactly what you're doing.

It's not a sports body- it a word definition so it'd be the OED and whoever decides the gold standard for language in Spanish, Mandarin, Russian etc. It's not google.
    I've googled it there and it turns out your wrong anyway.
    It says that a sport is only a sport if it requires intense physical activity, it then lists motorsport.
    If you're not into it you may not realise the performance and stamina a driver needs.

I know the performance and stamina they need. I have experienced the same thing driving from Tralee to Dublin, even though the g forces at 120k are a little less than on the Nurburgring. Here's the thing though- just because it takes some energy to do, or makes you tired does not make it a sport. And fanboys calling it motor"sport" trying to get some kudos for it do not make it a sport either. Why not? Because the car is being propelled by a f*ck off big engine!

I'm not saying it's not interesting or exciting- that's up to an individual to decide. All I'm saying is that it is not a sport.

• Advertisement

Well, the Olympics says show jumping is a sport, so I'll take their word over yours.

I love sport, couldn't do without it... That said I have an intense hatred for soccer, brought on mostly by the antics of the sissy pricks on the pitch..

To be fair, the diving and messing is far more evident in the top leagues, and even in England its only gradually come in over the last 20 years.

In general, it has to be a lower contact sport because its played to feet so players would just be taken out of it. Doesn't mean it doesn't require physical fitness and strength.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Well, the Olympics says show jumping is a sport, so I'll take their word over yours.

Technically it's an Olympic Event rather than an Olympic Sport. Interesting that they don't have any motor"sports" in it though isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

It depends on the individual I think! I love watching gymnastics! Particularly men's. The amount of sheer strength they must have to do even a low graded move is unreal.

Football on the other hand.. SNORE.
    The game itself bores me to death, what makes it worse is the amount of money theyre paid, and the asshole attitude most of them have to go with it. Completely alienating sport to me. Anytime it happens to be on and I catch another glimpse of some mammys boy throwing himself on the ground in faux pain to try and get one over on the other team my blood boils. Theyre paid extortionate for this crap and doctors/nurses are pulling 12hr shifts saving lives for alot less.

Also 12men kicking a ball around a field? I could look out my front window any day of the week and see a bunch of teens doing the same thing!

What about competitive air racing? stuff like the Red Bull races and the like? If it's done in a competitive environment it'd fall under being a sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Kettleson wrote: »
    Cricket is a great game, you can play it to the highest of levels whilst still putting on weight.

It's all the stops for tea and the Vicars wife's baking that does that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It depends on the individual I think! I love watching gymnastics! Particularly men's. The amount of sheer strength they must have to do even a low graded move is unreal.

Football on the other hand.. SNORE.
    The game itself bores me to death, what makes it worse is the amount of money theyre paid, and the asshole attitude most of them have to go with it. Completely alienating sport to me. Anytime it happens to be on and I catch another glimpse of some mammys boy throwing himself on the ground in faux pain to try and get one over on the other team my blood boils. Theyre paid extortionate for this crap and doctors/nurses are pulling 12hr shifts saving lives for alot less.

Also 12men kicking a ball around a field? I could look out my front window any day of the week and see a bunch of teens doing the same thing!
    11 men actually.

I couldn't imagine a world without football.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Watching a bunch of que3rs running abouta field for an hour kicking a ball about the place?
    Boring as hell..

Mod: User banned.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I just call them f*g***s

Mod: Poster banned.

I don't like sports, in general. Haven't since I was a child.

This thread is showing why.

I applaud the actions of the local mod, but the fact remains the mentality of some fans of sports appears to be neanderthal in nature. It will remain an excluding factor as long as people saw posts like the above and didn't think "it's 2014, where do people get off thinking sexuality is an insult". I've seen this kind of rubbish since I was a small child and it put me off sport then to the point where I can only see it objectively (more on this later).

Of course, most people think this is because certain sports promote tribalism, which isn't of itself a bad thing and can certainly be fun. But the thread is about why some people don't like sports- imagine you were gay and just read that.
    sligoface wrote: »
    I love sports myself, never was much good at any of them, but I love watching them. Still I can see why some find the games completely meaningless, because when you really look at it, they are. One group of people trying to put a ball into a net more times than another group of people within a predetermined time limit, what's the big deal? It's only when you follow the sport for a long time and get to know the characters, see the plot twists and bits of amazing skill or luck that you get addicted in a way to the drama and theatre that manifests during each season. I also think some resent the favoritism and accolades and money athletes get, perhaps are turned off by the macho bs involved, or just were never good at them and some people only like things they are good at and think stuff they suck at is crap.

I play competitive video games and I can say exactly the same thing about that. It's funny, I actually think it is a human need for that kind of feeling of belonging and excitement and we find it where we can naturally.
    Columbia wrote: »
    Sports is entertainment, and like all forms of entertainment there will be people who get it and people who don't.

You can't force people to like something, but I do feel sorry that they rarely get to feel the sort of ecstasy you have in this video (the clip from 0:56 to 1:14)

Of course for every moment like that, there's one which is the exact opposite...

As above, I get it all the time. Go to 26:45 in this video.

And we organise and do things ourselves and I've met the best in the world at my pass time. I'll walk for health and do this for fun :)
    Perfectly understandable not to like it but it's amusing when people always have to make some snide comment about its supposed conformity, while ironically they're usually into something just as stratified and incomprehensible to others, like films or gaming.

Its like a rule that the comment always has to be in the form of a deeply corny, bitter play on words too, like sportsteam or teamball.

Well, I hope this post has explained why. When you've spent your life being called inferior or for some reason gay (like that is an insult) for not liking sport, you're going to strike back. Human nature. How many people thought the video I posted above was stupid or silly or not getting the point? You're part of the problem too. And that's where the "roundball" thing comes from, its a frustrated attempt at making people think straight in general. Your sport is not special. You're not special. Or... all of us are, really.

Personally, I just don't care about most sports. I don't think anyone should have to care about anyone elses passtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Seriously? Arguing over the definition of a sport? I can't wait until the Winter Olympics gets under way, to see what you lot make of some of those sports. I mean, Curling is just pushing big stones across the ice, very little physical exertion involved apart from the occasional bit of "sweeping".

Then there's the bobsleigh and related sports, in which gravity does most of the work. Amy Williams won a gold in Vancouver 2010 for sliding down a hill, face-first on a glorified tea tray ... but it was so hard on her body that she's had to retire from that sport, and will be in Sochi as a commentator only.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Technically it's an Olympic Event rather than an Olympic Sport. Interesting that they don't have any motor"sports" in it though isn't it?

I don't know why you make a distinction about the Olympic event rather than Olympic sport. All that is is categorisation of different sports under a hierarchy. "Equestrian" is the technical Olympic sport.

I don't know what motor"sports" is. Is that a particular competition? Either way the Olympics do recognise motorsports, they're just not in the main summer or winter programme.

Advertisement