Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Isn't eternal life just as bad as eternal death?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I'm not talking from an atheist standpoint; I'm talking from a scientific standpoint. Which is that there is no evidence therefore the probability of it existing is so small as to be negligibile.

And what ever happened to attack the post, not the poster?

goes out the window when someone is trolling ort just too dumb to comprehend when it has been spelled out for them many times sine they first started talking ****e, which to be fair is a possibility, there are lots of dumb people around afterall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

IM0 wrote: »
    goes out the window when someone is trolling ort just too dumb to comprehend when it has been spelled out for them many times sine they first started talking ****e, which to be fair is a possibility, there are lots of dumb people around afterall

Actually I've been spelling it out. If there was any incomplete evidence at all then it would be 50/50. There's no evidence whatsoever. Different story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

pmcmahon wrote: »
    the possibility of an after life is just as likely as no after life,its 50\50,nobody knows for definite either way so it is impossible to declare it either way.

That's not true in the slightest. You're right that we can't prove whether an afterlife exists or not, but to suggest it's 50/50 is absurd.

The evidence we have that there is nothing after you die. Your brain, the part of your body that makes you, you ceases to work and the rest of your organs cease to work meaning you decompose to the point that eventually no part of you remains.

The evidence that there is an afterlife - None.

To suggest that it's a 50/50 shot is ridiculous. The chances of an afterlife being the same as the chances of you flipping heads on a coin?? Really??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

The evidence we have that there is nothing after you die. Your brain, the part of your body that makes you, you ceases to work and the rest of your organs cease to work meaning you decompose to the point that eventually no part of you remains.

Wrong. People who were clinically dead and whose brains have shown no levels of functioning experienced subjective realities.

seb65 wrote: »
    Wrong. People who were clinically dead and whose brains have shown no levels of functioning experienced subjective realities.

Go on and expand on that there.

• Advertisement

That's not true in the slightest. You're right that we can't prove whether an afterlife exists or not, but to suggest it's 50/50 is absurd.

To suggest that it's a 50/50 shot is ridiculous. The chances of an afterlife being the same as the chances of you flipping heads on a coin?? Really??

everything in life is a 50/50 to think otherwise is deluded thats just a general point for people who get so wrapped up in statistics

you have just as much chance of being murdered on the way home tonight as not, stats are made to enforce agendas nothing more they dont prove ****

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Brain death is irreversible.
    There is partial brain death, from which some people do indeed recover, but nobody has yet ever been revived once all of their brain activity ceased.

everything in life is a 50/50 to think otherwise is deluded thats just a general point for people who get so wrapped up in statistics

you have just as much chance of being murdered on the way home tonight as not, stats are made to enforce agendas nothing more they dont prove ****

Makes you wonder how so many people each week manage to not win the lottery, if the odds are 50/50 for everyone buying a ticket....

Shenshen wrote: »
    Makes you wonder how so many people each week manage to not win the lottery, if the odds are 50/50 for everyone buying a ticket....

youre not getting this are you :o

I'd agree that stochastic mathematics wasn't my strongest subject at school, but I still think you've got that 50/50 idea arseways, sorry.

• Advertisement

You're the one not getting it!! If it was 50/50 that we'd get murdered on the way home then half of us would get murdered on the way home every night. It's not 50/50 because we're not getting murdered every night. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Everything in life is 50/50, even things that are mathematically not 50/50???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When the brain ceases to function then that's it, you're officially dead and not coming back.

Clinically dead is when the heart stops but the brain is still going, albeit on limited oxygen.

You're the one not getting it!! If it was 50/50 that we'd get murdered on the way home then half of us would get murdered on the way home every night. It's not 50/50 because we're not getting murdered every night. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Everything in life is 50/50, even things that are mathematically not 50/50???

oh I get it, it just I dont agree with how stats run our lives. no such thing as 'safer' its right up there with the god arguement. well it can be stastically proven but stats are massively massively limited. I would argue stats are the new god

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

oh I get it, it just I dont agree with how stats run our lives. no such thing as 'safer' its right up there with the god arguement. well it can be stastically proven but stats are massively massively limited. I would argue stats are the new god

Do you work for the CSO? :)

oh I get it, it just I dont agree with how stats run our lives. no such thing as 'safer' its right up there with the god arguement. well it can be stastically proven but stats are massively massively limited, but I would argur stats are the new god

Stats don't run my life. In fact, you're the one making up ridiculous stats. To say that it's 50/50 that I will get murdered tonight is fundementally incorrect.

And there's no such thing as safer??

Ok, You cross O'Connell Bridge 1000 times and I'll cross O'Connell Bridge 1000 times. You do it with your eyes closed and ear plugs in, in the middle of the bridge. I'll do it at the junction, with my eyes open waiting for the green man. Now of course, you could get over and back 1000 times and not get hit and I could cross at the green man and a driver breaks the red light and knocks me down. But are you claiming that my way would not be any safer than yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Eternal Life/Immortality - lets think about the reality of that.

In 50 years time most of your friends/family are dead.
    In 100 years time, ALL of your friends/family are dead.
    In 1000 years time, most of your culture is gone.
    In 100,000 years time, humans have evolved and you don't really understand them anymore.
    In 1M years time, humans are extinct and you are the only one left.
    In 1BN years time, the Earth is gone and you are just floating aimlessly in space.
    In 100BN years time, the universe is approaching heat death and you are still alive.
    In TN years time, the universe is cold and silent but you are still alive.
    and this goes on for eternity......

Not so nice, is it?

Stats don't run my life

eh they do whether directly or indirectly they do and also whether you like it or not

eh they do whether directly or indirectly they do and also whether you like it or not

There's a 50/50 chance they don't, apparently.

Good man.

Now are we going to O'Connell street? We should have a wager on it. I'll lay 2/1 that you're way is safer. If everything is 50/50, then that's a really good bet for you. How much should we bet on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

In 100,000 years time, humans have evolved and you don't really understand them anymore.
    In 1BN years time, the Earth is gone and you are just floating aimlessly in space.
    In 100BN years time, the universe is approaching heat death and you are still alive.

Not so nice, is it?

Yeah it would get pretty boring after a while. It must be how God feels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The current status is that some form of God might exist because it hasn't been proven otherwise. Certainly no one can say, without proof of evidence that no form of God exists because they just don't know.

I don't know either but I admit that fact.

Of all the unlikely things that might exist , God seems to be one of the most unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Of all the unlikely things that might exist , God seems to be one of the most unlikely.

I still can't get over how people believe something that was written by a big bunch of nutcases.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I still can't get over how people believe something that was written by a big bunch of nutcases.

What does believing in an existence after this one have to do with religion?

Not so nice, is it?

Your argument is incorrect. If we go on after death, so will our loved ones and we won't be alone. Time is a human construct and it's relative to our own perception. When we are young it drags on and as we get older it seems to go by faster.

Your argument is incorrect. If we go on after death, so will our loved ones and we won't be alone. Time is a human construct and it's relative to our own perception. When we are young it drags on and as we get older it seems to go by faster.

Westcoast is talking about eternal life I think not life after death.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

Didn't Dawkins say that he believes God doesn't exist but can't say he knows he doesn't exist just like religious people say they believe god exists but can't know God exists!! In short noone really knows, and when we finally find out were dead so too late to do anything about it!! That's why we shouldn't worry so much, there's a 50/50 chance we're wrong:D

Didn't Dawkins say that he believes God doesn't exist but can't say he knows he doesn't exist just like religious people say they believe god exists but can't know God exists!! In short noone really knows, and when we finally find out were dead so too late to do anything about it!! That's why we shouldn't worry so much, there's a 50/50 chance we're wrong:D

I said I think it is unlikely that there is a God. There is a 100% chance that that is my opinion .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Jimmy 5F

You should teach probability theory, you make it sound so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Does a child exist before it is conceived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There seems to be cross threads here re: eternal life and life after death. Living eternally is not realistic unless you're an elf and life after death is a misnomer - life is living - death is no longer living - the body dies this is proven every other theory is just a theory. Some believe in spirit/soul/a metaphysical part of ourselves goes on but there is no proof - as a species we haven't been around for all that long but I would suggest that if there was a firm way of prooving life after death we'd have done it by now.

Advertisement