Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Music Playlist for Wedding...

Options
  • 11-09-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hello!
    My friends band is playing for a wedding. The couple werent going to get a DJ because there trying to keep it cheap as possible. But my friend asked me would I be up for doing it as an experience/laugh.
    Ive never DJ in public before. Im more into producing my own music but Ive messed around wth it in my room - Had some mad raves going on :-p...
    Just wondering if theres any essential wedding songs that I might need!? Ive over 10,000 songs in my itunes, including alot of the 'NOW thats what I call music' albums which I think will be okay for this wedding crowd.
    The band is playing till midnight and then im on for an hour so at that stage I dont think people will be paying much attention anyways!
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

70s and 80s music are your friends for a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

people will be paying lots of attention,

It's a good idea to get an idea of what sort of stuff the band will be playing, no need to cover the same areas

popular disco/soul hits, chic, jackson 5, car wash, abba some 80s, depeche mode, aha, spandau ballet, some popular dance tracks, daft punk, roger sanchez, fat boy slim, and some rock indie stuff, killers, kings of leon, maybe some trad, pogues, dubliners, some 60s, beatles, stones, kinks, some modern pop, beyonce, rihanna, lady gaga

depends on what the couple are into, some tunes they might request

of course just play, new york new york, ymca, come on eileen and 500 miles on repeat all night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Op,

Don't want to scare you but you are venturing into very dangerous ground here.

As said people will be very much so paying attention to you.

There are no set rules for dj ing a wedding. You could end up playing nothing but 60/70 and get away with it. You could kick straight off into modern stuff like bep, lmfao etc and have to play that genre all that or a rock set or hell a mixture of it all. It's all about reading the crowd and seeing what they want.

Yeah it's a good idea to follow the band however you could have 50% of the crowd waiting for the band to end and you'll have to take a pot shot at what will get that 50% up.

You are in essence the end of the night, you are the mercy of drunken fools. They can wreck your head, spill beer over your gear and if you blow it you will get dogs abuse.

Be prepared, cover as many genres as you can, having 50/100 people on the floor keep them there, take requests at the very start, announce your end time and stick to it.

Just wondering have you a rig for the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

OP. I DJ'd at my own Civil Partnership reception last month. I mixed the music in the weeks leading up to it so on the night I just had to hook up the netbook to the sound system and fire away. I mixed 5 different sets. I set up a page on Facebook about a month before asking the guests what songs they would like to hear. I also asked around my relatives to get an idea as to what songs they would like.

For the first 90 minutes I played the 'safe songs' Stevie Wonder, Kylie, Village People, Meatloaf, Pet Shop Boys, The Nolans, Barry White, Erasure, Four Tops, ELO, Dusty Springfield, Tina Turner etc and then I did a 25 minute slow set. After that I did a 40 minute OLD SKOOK/Indie mix, followed by a 20 minute chart mix and then another 90 minute mix of the classics.

Judging from the amount of people up on the dance floor the night was a great success. There wasnt as many people up for the OLD SKOOK/INDIE section but I knew that would happen. That mix was mainly for my mates and also to give all the relatives a chance to sit down and have a breather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

cheers for the comments lads! some good advice which is now making me wonder if Ive bitten off more than I can chew! :D
    The rig Ill be using is laptop and hercules console with VDJ. But unfortunately I dont have my own laptop so I dont have ableton or my own VDJ-the version I downloaded on my friends laptop is acting up after 20 mins. Probably so that I cant use the home version in a commercial fashion.:-/
    Also have had to transfer all my songs to this laptop, plus ive realised that Ill now have to rip aload of more cds onto it after reading your posts! Wish I had more time now (or my own laptop!).
    Ill see how I go tonight.
    @gazzer That was a great move. I might try creating a mini mix in case the s#*t hits the fan!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Are you from Cavan, zohrakoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Are you from Cavan, zohrakoda?

:D

Op, did you have speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

:D

Op, did you have speakers?

his mates band are supplying the pa I should imagine.

It may go well for you or it may go tits up but they cant complain if they are trying to save money...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

Just to update. Pulled out in the end. Would have been more comfortable with my own laptop. My friends one was freezing and crashed when using VDJ. Also was very slow because the music was backed up to an external hard drive. But the band was a big hit so the night went great for them anyway.
    Thanks for the input and advice!:D

Advertisement