Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this program worthwhile?

• 05-03-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Lifting on Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. Jogging/ cycling on off days!

Squats 5x5 (75kg) - (current lift)
    Dead lift 1x8 (85kg)
    Bench 5x5 (70kg) (considering pyramids here instead)
    Over head Press (45kg)
    Barbell Rows (45kg)

My aims are to reduce my body fat % as quick as I can! I am 178 cm in height, i weight 83kg, I'd like to get down to 76kg. I am carrying significant fat around my stomach in particular.

Is this program appropriate for this goal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Are you doing all those lifts in each session?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Are you doing all those lifts in each session?

I am indeed

Until someone who knows better comes along, I'll fill time. ;) Spread your lifts out through the week and throw in some accessory work to supplement them.

Monday - Squat
    Wednesday - Bench
    Friday - Deadlift

If you can squat 5x5 @ 75kg, you can squat 1x5 @ 85kg. Rather than doing the same set five times, try increase a little on each set. If you can't do that, at least increase the last set. Progression is key. Apply that to your other lifts too. As well as that, lower your calorie intake. Apparently myfitnesspal.com is good for keeping an eye on your eating. The general rule is, multiply your bodyweight in lbs by 12 to get your maintenance calories. Then work off a deficit of that ~500cals.

Better advice to follow by others, I'm sure, but that's a start!

Until someone who knows better comes along, I'll fill time. ;) Spread your lifts out through the week and throw in some accessory work to supplement them.

Monday - Squat
    Wednesday - Bench
    Friday - Deadlift

If you can squat 5x5 @ 75kg, you can squat 1x5 @ 85kg. Rather than doing the same set five times, try increase a little on each set. If you can't do that, at least increase the last set. Progression is key. Apply that to your other lifts too. As well as that, lower your calorie intake. Apparently myfitnesspal.com is good for keeping an eye on your eating. The general rule is, multiply your bodyweight in lbs by 12 to get your maintenance calories. Then work off a deficit of that ~500cals.

Better advice to follow by others, I'm sure, but that's a start!

I appreciate the advice, but I would be increasing the weight on all lifts by 2.5kg per week. Well that's the plan anyway! Is that not the best way to go about this?

I have been using myplate on Live strong.com for recording my calorie intake per day. I should be consuming 1856 cals per day according to it so I will lose weight! It's not working yet! Though what I am eating is probably not the healthiest I could be eating!

Deedsie wrote: »
    I appreciate the advice, but I would be increasing the weight on all lifts by 2.5kg per week. Well that's the plan anyway! Is that not the best way to go about this?

If you're not pushing yourself, you're not making progress. Adding 2.5kg each week at this stage is just pushing back the time til you actually have to work for your lifts.
    I should be consuming 1856 cals per day according to it so I will lose weight! It's not working yet! Though what I am eating is probably not the healthiest I could be eating!

That's the important bit there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

I am indeedsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Lifting on Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday. Jogging/ cycling on off days!

Squats 5x5 (75kg) - (current lift)
    Dead lift 1x8 (85kg)
    Bench 5x5 (70kg) (considering pyramids here instead)
    Over head Press (45kg)
    Barbell Rows (45kg)

My aims are to reduce my body fat % as quick as I can! I am 178 cm in height, i weight 83kg, I'd like to get down to 76kg. I am carrying significant fat around my stomach in particular.

Is this program appropriate for this goal?

Im suprised no one has pointed out that your programme will do sweet FA for getting you to your goals if your diet isn't spot on!
    Also take Nervous wrecks advice & split your core lifts over 3 days & add in accesory excercises (just follow starting strength or 1 of the other beginner programmes that are already out there), you'll make more gains over a longer period this way before you over train & stall which you will inevitably do by hitting them all in 1 day 3 times a week!

Burkatron wrote: »
    Im suprised no one has pointed out that your programme will do sweet FA for getting you to your goals if your diet isn't spot on!
    Also take Nervous wrecks advice & split your core lifts over 3 days & add in accesory excercises (just follow starting strength or 1 of the other beginner programmes that are already out there), you'll make more gains over a longer period this way before you over train & stall which you will inevitably do by hitting them all in 1 day 3 times a week!

I really need to work on the diet! Mine is far from spot on. Is there a template diet for my goals? I will split the lifts across the 3 days so! Accessory exercises like dips, chin ups, pull ups etc?

I really need to work on the diet! Mine is far from spot on. Is there a template diet for my goals? I will split the lifts across the 3 days so! Accessory exercises like dips, chin ups, pull ups etc?

Yep.

Yep.

I appreciate the advice NW. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blademania

Did you find out what you needed to know yet? Its not a massive amount of weight you want to loose should be easy enough with the right advice of course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

Is the general consensus never to squat / deadlift heavy on the same day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Generally most of the times yes, but specifically some of the time no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I do in the Bill Starr program I'm doing. I can see why most don't but I'm use to it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I do in the Bill Starr program I'm doing. I can see why most don't but I'm use to it now
    Is that his 5x5 intermediate? If so then it's a light squat on deadlift day. I dunno, you know what works for you, but heavy squat and DL in the space of an hour is not something I could condition myself do for any length of time. My back, legs and CNS would be fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Hanley wrote: »
    Generally most of the times yes, but specifically some of the time no.

When would you do both heavy? In a training context now not testing etc. In some periodization realization type thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Is that his 5x5 intermediate? If so then it's a light squat on deadlift day. I dunno, you know what works for you, but heavy squat and DL in the space of an hour is not something I could condition myself do for any length of time. My back, legs and CNS would be fried.

It's actually one of the beginner ones. It's heavy squat, bench and dead on same day in 1x5 ramp up.

Haven't fully stalled yet. At least one of them goes up a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

It's actually one of the beginner ones. It's heavy squat, bench and dead on same day in 1x5 ramp up.

Haven't fully stalled yet. At least one of them goes up a week
    Ah that's grand, I'm pretty sure it's the same with Starting Strength. If the lifts are going up then stick with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Reverend, is god punishing me?
    Long answer yes with an if, short answer no with a but...

This thread reminded me of that

I know people get very concerned about the spinal loading with deads and squats on the same day but for me it's a volume issue. Conceivably an intermediate trainee might end up moving up to 8000kgs in a 1 hour session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    When would you do both heavy? In a training context now not testing etc. In some periodization realization type thingy?

If I was squatting heavy multiple times per week, and looking to get my dead ready for a comp, I'd speed pull one day and moderately heavy the other.

If I wanted loads of recovery for whatever reason I'd stack squats and DL together.

I'd squat light and pull heavy in a session no bother, I'd pull light and squat heavy in a session too.

And it would all be dictated by volume. Working up to a heavy single, double or triple after some hard squats would be cool. Pulling 5x5 after the same would not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Reverend, is god punishing me?
    Long answer yes with an if, short answer no with a but...

This thread reminded me of that

I know people get very concerned about the spinal loading with deads and squats on the same day but for me it's a volume issue. Conceivably an intermediate trainee might end up moving up to 8000kgs in a 1 hour session.

Is that considered ok, or too much? I have been doing Starting Strength for a while, aiming to get squat to 180 for 3 x 5 and DL to 200 for 1 x 5. I'll be there in a few weeks. Including warm ups this would come pretty close to total volume of 8,000 kg and I'd do it in about 45 minutes, at 6.30 in the morning.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Is that considered ok, or too much? I have been doing Starting Strength for a while, aiming to get squat to 180 for 3 x 5 and DL to 200 for 1 x 5. I'll be there in a few weeks. Including warm ups this would come pretty close to total volume of 8,000 kg and I'd do it in about 45 minutes, at 6.30 in the morning.

What are you at right now? If you're squatting 180kgx3x5 and deadlifting 200kg x5 then you are not "starting strength" anymore. You are an intermediate to advanced lifter and need to programme better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

What are you at right now? If you're squatting 180kgx3x5 and deadlifting 200kg x5 then you are not "starting strength" anymore. You are an intermediate to advanced lifter and need to programme better.

I'm not there yet. I'm squatting 167.5 for 3 x 5 and expect to be at 180 for 3 x 5 on the 9th May. I'm deadlifting 175 x 5 and expect to hit 200 x 5 on 18th May.

I'd be happy enough with those numbers and would just look to maintain them at that level and focus on other stuff.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    I'm not there yet. I'm squatting 167.5 for 3 x 5 and expect to be at 180 for 3 x 5 on the 9th May. I'm deadlifting 175 x 5 and expect to hit 200 x 5 on 18th May.

I'd be happy enough with those numbers and would just look to maintain them at that level and focus on other stuff.

Well if it ain't broke don't fix it. There might be a time coming soon where you might flatline but I'd let that happen before adjusting anything that's still making you gains.

Advertisement