Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-01-2020, 14:46   #4396
Always_Running

Big player turn over for Roscommon once again it seems.

First choice keeper Darren O Malley, the Murtagh Brothers, Fintan Cregg, Colin Compton, John McManus all opted out. McInerney I hear hasn't opted back in either.

Add in the injuries to Harney, Devaney, Mullooly, Hussey Roscommons strength in depth is going to tested to its limit in what will be a very competitive division 2.
Advertisement
16-01-2020, 14:55   #4397
White lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Running View Post

First choice keeper Darren O Malley, the Murtagh Brothers, Fintan Cregg, Colin Compton, John McManus all opted out. McInerney I hear hasn't opted back in either.

Add in the injuries to Harney, Devaney, Mullooly, Hussey Roscommons strength in depth is going to tested to its limit in what will be a very competitive division 2.

True but apart from O'Malley and Diarmuid none of the others were starters last year of the lads 100% gone. Hopefully we can get the injured players back and with the return of Mullooly and Compton we are not much weaker than we were last year. Far from ideal though and a pity we dont have a full pick
16-01-2020, 22:42   #4398
beggars_bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Running View Post

Imagine if Dublin had a turnover of players like that down the spine of their team over the past few years, it would even up the field for Sam

The problem is no sponsored cars and other perks for Roscommon players and no decent jobs to keep them near the county
(4) thanks from:
18-01-2020, 16:02   #4399
franglan

Anyone at the FBD final? Poor enough stuff. We are going to struggle for scores in the league. Thought we were leggy in general, very slow to counter, phase after phase rather than letting the ball into the forward making the break to get on ball. Handpasses not going to man which should regardless of time of year. You'd know it was the first outing for O'Malley in goal too much hangtime at times with his kicks and two aimless punts in the first half when coming out with the ball straight back to Galway. Cox is out with a hand/wrist injury for the start of the league if not all of it. Not having Diarmuid or Ciarán Murtagh available either now will compound Cox's loss. You look at who might start on the forward line next weekend D'Arcy, Glennon, Lennon, Cathal Cregg little pace there. It's early days but far from on it today.
(2) thanks from:
18-01-2020, 18:52   #4400
Always_Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by franglan View Post
Anyone at the FBD final? Poor enough stuff. We are going to struggle for scores in the league. Thought we were leggy in general, very slow to counter, phase after phase rather than letting the ball into the forward making the break to get on ball. Handpasses not going to man which should regardless of time of year. You'd know it was the first outing for O'Malley in goal too much hangtime at times with his kicks and two aimless punts in the first half when coming out with the ball straight back to Galway. Cox is out with a hand/wrist injury for the start of the league if not all of it. Not having Diarmuid or Ciarán Murtagh available either now will compound Cox's loss. You look at who might start on the forward line next weekend D'Arcy, Glennon, Lennon, Cathal Cregg little pace there. It's early days but far from on it today.
Cox a massive blow, did the injury happen in a recent challenge or at training?
Advertisement
18-01-2020, 19:45   #4401
franglan

Didn't hear when, played against Leitrim, was on media duty for Allianz last week with two fully functioning hands and was named at 15 in today's programme so guess it was fairly recent.
19-01-2020, 19:19   #4402
rossie1977

We are at bare-bones right now alright. Really lacking numbers in defense, forwards and struggling in midfield. Glennon is latest injury so it will be interesting to see who starts next Sunday in full forward line.

Thought O'Malley had a very poor first half in terms of kick outs. Someone said he was better finding the Galway players than the Galway keeper.. second half he improved.

We tired very quickly yesterday after a decent start. Nobody outside Lennon really put their hand up for selection vs Laois.

Have to say I was impressed with Galway. The high press in first half killed us completely. They have a great pick now with so many young players coming through. Varley played out of his skin yesterday, no Roscommon player got near him all day. With the Corofin players to return you would have to fancy Galway for Connacht this year and then a semi final at minimum seems very achievable for this team especially given Connacht champions avoid Dublin and Kerry in super 8 group this year.
26-01-2020, 17:33   #4403
Farmer_3650

Very disappointing game. Will struggle against the likes of Kildare and Armagh with performances like that.
26-01-2020, 18:16   #4404
rossie1977

It's hard to know in this division, on the evidence of this we will get well beat but we lost at home to Down last time and still won division.

Today was poor. Conceding 20 points to a team promoted from division 3 is a problem. We barely laid a hand on the Laois lads all day, letting them run and kick to their hearts content. Leading by 6 in 34th minute and still only drawing suggests major issues.

I thought our approach play was so slow and ponderous all afternoon. The two times we injected some pace and power forward runs resulted in goal and penalty. Not starting Lennon was very strange because we had no focal point in attack to hit so kept passing it over and back.

Hyde continues to me of no advantage to Roscommon at all.
Advertisement
26-01-2020, 19:43   #4405
blazermel

A joke of a performance to put it mildly. Leggy, sluggish, no impetus in attack but still managed to go 6 points up. To squander that lead by conceding two cheap goals in injury time - beggars belief. Poor game management and we'll struggle now to pick up the points required elsewhere.
28-01-2020, 12:07   #4406
Edgware
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_3650 View Post
Very disappointing game. Will struggle against the likes of Kildare and Armagh with performances like that.
I agree. Already its a case of maintaining D2 status and seeing what the Summer brings
31-01-2020, 22:37   #4407
megadodge

After the Laois game I was disappointed. And confused.
I couldn't figure how such a good outfit could play so badly.
I also couldn't understand how one or two simple changes that the dogs in the street could see, weren't made.

For the first 20 minutes, Roscommon players looked so..... listless, tired, whatever. I wondered had they had some heavy training too close to the match - in other words, were they were overlooking Laois? At least 5 times in that period a Roscommon player in possession was either pinged for overcarrying or dispossessed by multiple Laois players. This was simply because there was not a single Roscommon player helping them out. Nobody was looking for the ball, except Donie who was isolated with at least 2 markers.

They improved for the last 10 minutes or so, led by Brian Stack, who should simply never, ever be wasted at full-back. He's far too valuable to the team farther out the field. He's a dynamic player, not a man-marker. Yet, in spite of all the trouble he was having, when Conor Daly came on.... they played him at wing back????

Gary Patterson was eaten alive and stayed on for the whole match. Why? He's not good enough. Sorry for being so blunt, but it's the truth.

And I cannot let Noel Gately away with his incredibly greedy decision to NOT pass the ball to an unmarked Cian McKeown straight in front of a near-empty net, for what would have been a 99% certainty of a goal and a match sealer. If a 12 year old did that, you'd be taking him aside after the match to hammer home the importance of the TEAM!!! Personal glory is irrelevant. It's all about the TEAM Noel!! Unfortunately, like so many star players from small clubs, where they don't have much quality around them and feel they have to do it themselves, he took the stupid option. And he has a long history of doing the same, which is why I don't buy the excuse some have made for him of being inexperienced.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but once I thought more about it, this could be a blessing in disguise, because if Roscommon had won that game by 5 or 6 points having played poorly, it would have papered over a lot of cracks and mistakes. Maybe this can act as a kick up the arse and make everyone realise that you cannot take any team for granted. If they have realised that, I believe they should beat Fermanagh on Sunday.
Thanks from:
31-01-2020, 23:18   #4408
Hawkeye9212

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
After the Laois game I was disappointed. And confused.
I couldn't figure how such a good outfit could play so badly.
I also couldn't understand how one or two simple changes that the dogs in the street could see, weren't made.

For the first 20 minutes, Roscommon players looked so..... listless, tired, whatever. I wondered had they had some heavy training too close to the match - in other words, were they were overlooking Laois? At least 5 times in that period a Roscommon player in possession was either pinged for overcarrying or dispossessed by multiple Laois players. This was simply because there was not a single Roscommon player helping them out. Nobody was looking for the ball, except Donie who was isolated with at least 2 markers.

They improved for the last 10 minutes or so, led by Brian Stack, who should simply never, ever be wasted at full-back. He's far too valuable to the team farther out the field. He's a dynamic player, not a man-marker. Yet, in spite of all the trouble he was having, when Conor Daly came on.... they played him at wing back????

Gary Patterson was eaten alive and stayed on for the whole match. Why? He's not good enough. Sorry for being so blunt, but it's the truth.

And I cannot let Noel Gately away with his incredibly greedy decision to NOT pass the ball to an unmarked Cian McKeown straight in front of a near-empty net, for what would have been a 99% certainty of a goal and a match sealer. If a 12 year old did that, you'd be taking him aside after the match to hammer home the importance of the TEAM!!! Personal glory is irrelevant. It's all about the TEAM Noel!! Unfortunately, like so many star players from small clubs, where they don't have much quality around them and feel they have to do it themselves, he took the stupid option. And he has a long history of doing the same, which is why I don't buy the excuse some have made for him of being inexperienced.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but once I thought more about it, this could be a blessing in disguise, because if Roscommon had won that game by 5 or 6 points having played poorly, it would have papered over a lot of cracks and mistakes. Maybe this can act as a kick up the arse and make everyone realise that you cannot take any team for granted. If they have realised that, I believe they should beat Fermanagh on Sunday.
Roscommon should beat Fermanagh. Most teams have figured out how to beat ultra defensive teams at this stage. Laois will be decent team going forward so I wouldn't read too much into it. It was the first proper game of the season as well.
31-01-2020, 23:35   #4409
blowitupref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye9212 View Post
Roscommon should beat Fermanagh. Most teams have figured out how to beat ultra defensive teams at this stage. Laois will be decent team going forward so I wouldn't read too much into it. It was the first proper game of the season as well.

By all accounts Fermanagh weren't ultra defensive against Kildare in Newbridge and could easily have got something out of that game as Fermanagh missed a number of goal chances.

Roscommon are apparently missing half of their championship team from last summer they will do well to come out of Brewster Park with a win i'd say.
31-01-2020, 23:37   #4410
Comic Book Guy

I heard that Ronan Daly can be added to the long term injured list.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion