Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody have a hi-lift jack ?

• 29-04-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

one of them things there:

Jack.jpg

If so ...any good?
    I know that they're supposed to be strong, indestructable and you can even winch off them ...but are they stable and safe to use or is it "approach with caution"?

Anywhere in Ireland that sells them? I'd loke to put my paws on one before buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Don't have one, but have used one. They are very powerful and versatile, but they are a big of a bugger to use with the typical 4x4's. Reason being, it's difficult to find a place to secure it under your vehicle.
    Yokes like the defenders have proper bumpers that you can jack it up from, but most of the others don't have that.

Also, they demand a bit of respect. Big forces build up when using them :eek:

This might be a better option? (If it's solely to be used as a jack)
    inflatable-jack-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There are adapters fotr the hi-lift that fit into Landrover (and Syncro :D) jacking points ...it's the "they demand respect bit" that I'm a bit worried about. So it's personal experience (other than the ads on youtube) that I'd be interested in.

Haven't heard one good word about those inflating yokes yet ...either they don't work at all, or the vehicle just slides off if it is on any form of slope at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I've never used the inflating jack, so cannot comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I have a hi lift jack some call it a farmers jack, but at the moment its somewhere in north africa with a friend who's gone for a spin through the sahara, but anyway it's very handy yoke to have around apart from the obivious but they need to be treated with respect. I got mine from a crowd called Croxier 4x4 (spelling) in ballycumber just outside of moate in westmeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i think that might be crozier 4x4 you got that off,they have a website youll find if you google them
    have never used one myself but friends have told me there lethal unless you know what your doing
    have a 3 tonne trolley jack and a bit of timber meself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When you are using one and have the lever pushed down, never ever stick your head in between the jack upright and the handle.
    If your hand slips or something else happens the force as the handle comes back up would not be worth thinking about.
    Apart from that they are quite good, the problem is that most newish 4wds don't have many good strong jacking points handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

We carry them all the time, and try to use them as little as possible.

They're mostly used for wheel changing, but occasionally for lifting a wheel to pack stuff under it to regain traction, or for 'casting off' (lifting the entire end of a vehicle and letting it fall off to one side).

As others have said, they're a piece of kit that demand respect and care in use, because they will bite or inflict concussion if treated casually.

The two major 'nastys' they can do are 'uncontrolled lowering' where the unrestrained handle flies up and down as the weight of the vehicle drives it down, and having the vehicle slip off it, as they're inherently unstable.

They're a wonderful piece of gear and we consider them to be essential off-roading equipment, but they're not for the ham-fisted or accident prone.

Oh, and using one as a winch will quickly have you gladly signing the cheque for a proper winch. :D

Advertisement