Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

proposed forum charter changes/amendments

Options
  • 28-04-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Going by the opinions on the thread where this forum was suggested, it should serve the following purposes:

Allow for discussion of all things "dirty" like the best off road tyres, "my approach angle is bigger than yours", how many difflocks do you need ...

Share technical information about all things 4x4, driving tips, advantages and disavantages of the concept

Post about off-road events (cars / trucks / motorbikes)

General talk about 4x4's / SUV's / quads / enduro or trial bikes

etc

What shouldn't be encouraged is

The old chestnut of SUV vs "real" offroader...well anything that goes beyond slagging anyway :D

Threads about how all 4x4 drivers are *insert insult of your choice*

so ...proposals for the charter please !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I think you have pretty much captured what this forum should be about.

All in favour....... Aye!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think you should allow one stickied thread called "I hate 4x4/SUV's because..." and allow naysayers to vent their anger there. The same type of idea works well in the Big Brother forum.

By the way, I'm a naysayer but I'll keep my opinions to myself unless you allow such a thread. Even at that, I probably won't voice much opinion tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Great idea r3nu4l. I know people who absolutely despise the 4x4's. You don't want the forum brought down by such comments.

Best of luck with the new forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

That's a good idea r3nu4l.

All negative posts in the stickie.
    Any nay-sayer posts in the main forum = thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I think you should allow one stickied thread called "I hate 4x4/SUV's because..." and allow naysayers to vent their anger there. The same type of idea works well in the Big Brother forum.
    Great idea r3nu4l. I know people who absolutely despise the 4x4's. You don't want the forum brought down by such comments.

naaahh ..I don't think so

The hunting forum doesn't have sticky called "I hate all Bambi killers because..." and neither does any of the computer games forum have a sticky called "you are all sad gits and should get a life".

If you feel the need to vent about evil SUV's/4x4's ...go to green issues or wherever.

But we'll see what the locals think, once this forum gets populated.

• Advertisement

or merged tbh.

Edit/ in fairness peasant if the forum's about 4x4s should all opinions not be catered for?

Edit/ in fairness peasant if the forum's about 4x4s should all opinions not be catered for?

The answer is a resounding YES ...and NO :D

What vehicle you drive is a matter of personal choice and to some degree of necessity.

Some people need a 4x4, others just want one.

Currently the whole SUV debate is a very emotive issue, but instead of SUV's it could just as easily be about sports cars ...nobody needs a BMW M5, for example.

It's just that SUV's provide the bigger target.

I don't really see what discussion there could be between people who are dead set against them and those that chose to own one, other than regurtitating the same old arguments over and over again, leading nowhere.

But if the onslaught of critizism gets too much, I guess we'll have to have such a thread ...we'll see

That's all fine bar one thing.
    peasant wrote: »
    it could just as easily be about sports cars ...nobody needs a BMW M5, for example.

I beg to differ. I need a BMW M5, as soon as I can afford one I'll be satisfying this need. Carry on now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Why is it that a 4x4 is the only vehicle people need to justify owning?

prospect wrote: »
    Why is it that a 4x4 is the only vehicle people need to justify owning?

That didn't take long peasant.

• Advertisement

That didn't take long peasant.

?

I think you may have mis-understood my post.
    I have a small 4x4, and I hate having to justify it. Yet some single guy in a 4.5L convertible 4 seater BMW would never be expected to justify their choice.

Yes, but this thread is about the 4x4 forum charter not about ownership justification.

My point above was that this forum may have to cater for discussion/debate on 4x4s. peasant's posts indicate that this may not be necesary as it's been done to death. Your first post on this thread [which is about the forum's charter] invokes discussion/debate on the topic. My point was that it didn't take long to start. I was just admiring the irony, no harm done :)

Ah right, sorry I understand now.

Regarding the charter, I don't think there should be a Anti 4x4 sticky.
    I hate country music, so I just stay away from any country music forums, ditto to cricket & maths etc.

IMO, every forum here is to serve peoples interests/hobbies, or help people solve issues or questions. Otherwise every topic should have a 'Anti-Topic' sticky.

MTC

Peasant, I think the idea of a sticky does have merit, considering that if you close every 'anti' thread as soon as it is opened you're going to have a fair few feedback threads over time. Time will tell I suppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Peasant, I think the idea of a sticky does have merit.
    +1

Let the "knit your own yogurt" types have at least one thread to vent in. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

I agree.........and disagree,
    It would promote freedom of speech but who really wants that:D;)

A sticky along the lines of "why we hate yous" is just going to attract the naysayers, where as if you just close all the treads titled "how you ba5t4ds kill and maim small fluffy animals with your wheels of death" (and there will probably be a new one every day) then people will slowly get the message.

This forum was set up so that we wouldnt have to put up with 5 pages of slagging when we simply asked if anybody knew where to get good off-road tyres. If we cater for this and allow it then it will never stop. As a nation of begrudgers and moaners most people(meself included) would much rather give off about somebody else than look at our own problems which is why this forum will be a natural target.

Besides I dont think a sticky would be enough for most people on a crusade against the planet killers. If you ate in a restaurant and found a nest of rats in your salad, I doubt that youd just pop a strong worded letter into the suggestion box.

250882 wrote: »
    Besides I dont think a sticky would be enough for most people on a crusade against the planet killers. If you ate in a restaurant and found a nest of rats in your salad, I doubt that youd just pop a strong worded letter into the suggestion box.
    Are you equating 4x4's with a nest of rats in a salad? :eek:

This type of thread works very well in the Big Brother forum and stops people posting separate threads. There's always one or two but it would reduce the number of threads imo.

Anyway, I've said my piece, it's only a suggestion, peasant can take it or leave it or implement it later, whatever he wants :) Either way this forum is going to be of very good use to owners or potential owners of 4x4's and SUV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

r3nu4l
    I do like your idea and it makes a lot of sense but as I said previously I enjoy disagreeing with everybody else:D.
    I personally wouldnt compare 4x4s with a nest of rats but there are some people out there that feel really really strongly that SUVs are out to kill them.

Anyway it'll be nice to be able to fight our cause and who knows we might even win an argument or two as we will be on home turf now.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

But if there was a " I hate 4x4's" thread then it will always be there bugging me every time I look into the forum, and I wouldnt be able to just ignore it because it would be just bugging me even more to see whats being said.

iether ways I dont mind, but wasnt that part of the reason we got this forum? to get away from that mind numbingly boring and dated discussion of why someone should own a 4x4?

Yes, I'm veering strongly towards my initial gut instinct NOT to have such a thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

We should all just have our justification for owning a 4x4 as a signature on our profile and start it with an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Im just thinking maybe we should have a sister thread for the pictures thread, this would act like a general discussion place for the pictures thread while keeping the forum tidy and the pictures thread be kept spacifically for pictures.

Also maybe a general banter (off topic) thread as a place for the 4x4 fans to be sociable - this works very well over on the airsoft forum.

Right ...two days in, the world is still spinning the same way, the heavens haven't dropped on our heads and neither has the biiig controversy.:D

Therefore I have made the proposed charter the "real charter" and shtuck it to the board.

I will leave this thread open for another while, so as this forum populates you can make suggestions on how to improve / change things if wanted / neccessary.

EDIT:

almost one month later ...still no further suggestions / wishes ?

Thread now closed and no longer a sticky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement