Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Truck licence

• 08-01-2004 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

anyone know what the story is with a truck license in ireland... basically I want to get a license so I can drive an articulated truck.

do I need to get one for a small truck/van, and then a rigid truck and then an articulated truck?

I already have a full driving license, I assume I need to get a provisional license for a truck? Do I need to sit the theory test in order to get this?

Can anyone help? I'll probably ring up the Driving License place or Motor Tax place tomorrow to get some answers if no one here can help........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, you'll need to do a theory test for class C vehicles (Vehicles that can carry at most 8 passengers and with a gross weight of over 3.5 metric tonnes). This is not the standard car theory test, it has more to do with truck-specific questions and also things such as taxation, and max time behind the wheel etc.

Once you pass that, you apply for a class C provisional. Then do lessons etc etc, and pass your test. You are now entitled to drive rigid trucks.

Then you must apply for a provisional EC licence (E here means trailer, so class C with trailer. EB is class B with trailer, ie car). You cannot drive an artic without an EC licence. All signs would seem to suggest that you must do both a theory test to get the provisional EC licence and a practical test to get the full EC licence, but the Tax office or whoever should be able to clear this up for you.

Just to note, that on any of these provisionals you cannot (and I would say, should not, under any circumstances) drive unaccompanied.

I would suggest maybe waiting until the current backlog of tests is cleared, if you're not trying to do this to secure a job. You could be long time between tests, and personally that would be very frustrating. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    I would suggest maybe waiting until the current backlog of tests is cleared, if you're not trying to do this to secure a job. You could be long time between tests, and personally that would be very frustrating. :)
    Surely different testers are used between trucks and cars, them being very different beasts. Different testers - different waiting lists (I realise some tests could do both).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Victor
    Surely different testers are used between trucks and cars, them being very different beasts. Different testers - different waiting lists (I realise some tests could do both).
    I dunno Victor. Stranger things have happened. Testers following bike examinees around in car for example :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It's pretty much as seamus said. Only thing I'll add is that you don't need to get a C1 licence before you get your C licence. C1 is a small rigid truck over 3.5 tonnes and (I think) less than 7.5 tonnes. C is a rigid truck >7.5 tonnes. If you have a full B licence, you can apply for a C licence i.e you can bypass C1 if you want. Also, be aware that you must do a medical before you can get your provisional truck licence. Once you pass your rigid test, only then can you apply for your artic provisional. In other words, to get a full licence for an artic, you must do 3 driving tests - car test, rigid test then artic test, in that order.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

cheers for the replies lads..
    i rang up today and they said that i needed to do the theory test even though i already have a full driving license. They are posting me out the necessary forms also. must sign up for the theory test... I didnt realise it was different for trucks. Are there any mock exams online or anything?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement