Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Ultimate' Fighting Championship - Ireland should ban it first

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Strikes to the back of the head are illegal in the UFC.

Pansies :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Mma rules

There are no….head buttingEye gouging or bitingSpitting at an opponentHair pullingFish hookingGroin attacks of any kindPutting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponentSmall joint manipulationStriking downward using the point of the elbowStriking to the spine or the back of the headKicking to the kidney with a heelThroat strikes of any kind, including a trachea grabClawing, pinching or twisting the fleshGrabbing the clavicleKicking or kneeing the head of a grounded opponentStomping a grounded opponentHolding the fenceHolding the shorts or gloves of an opponentUsing foul language (Words hurt sometimes more than punches)Unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponentFaking injuriesThrowing opponent out of ringSpiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neckApplying any foreign substance to the hair or body to gain an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Strikes to the back of the head are illegal in the UFC.

his been told this numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    This is a conversation that started at post 139, maybe it is you that must try again, young grasshopper ;)

Thank you! That's the nicest thing you've said this whole thread!

Anyway, my point is that I don't know what street you are on, it sounds really nice, but how boxing is a superior form of self defence, unless you have been challenged to fisticuffs, I don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

fisticuffs

lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Thank you! That's the nicest thing you've said this whole thread!

Anyway, my point is that I don't know what street you are on, it sounds really nice, but how boxing is a superior form of self defence, unless you have been challenged to fisticuffs, I don't understand.

I'm just putting forward what I heard in this video, the main point was boxers use their techniques in street situations more effectively then other martial arts because of the methods of training they use. They did make the point that any martial art can be extremely effective, but some aren't as effective as others because the participants don't spend long enough training against resisting opponents and don't get used to being hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

gallag wrote: »
    Mma rules

There are no….head buttingEye gouging or bitingSpitting at an opponentHair pullingFish hookingGroin attacks of any kindPutting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponentSmall joint manipulationStriking downward using the point of the elbowStriking to the spine or the back of the headKicking to the kidney with a heelThroat strikes of any kind, including a trachea grabClawing, pinching or twisting the fleshGrabbing the clavicleKicking or kneeing the head of a grounded opponentStomping a grounded opponentHolding the fenceHolding the shorts or gloves of an opponentUsing foul language (Words hurt sometimes more than punches)Unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponentFaking injuriesThrowing opponent out of ringSpiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neckApplying any foreign substance to the hair or body to gain an advantage

Somebody stole your full stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I'm just putting forward what I heard in this video, the main point was boxers use their techniques in street situations more effectively then other martial arts because of the methods of training they use. They did make the point that any martial art can be extremely effective, but some aren't as effective as others because the participants don't spend long enough training against resisting opponents and don't get used to being hit.

Ah, I think that you are thinking of Jiu Jitsu. That is certainly true for Jiu Jitsu and one of the pioneers of BJJ commented that if you punch a black belt in the face he becomes a brown belt, again and he becomes a purple belt, so yeah that's true for BJJ. But I don't think the same could be said for anyone sparring in MMA, at least any more so than for boxing.

You know, if you are interested in the techniques, you would be very interested in the MMA techniques and the sheer range of them. The skill levels required are unbelievable. Have a look at this video which is a 10 minute breakdown of one techique employed by one female fighter. (Yes FEMALE!) The guy presenting is a BJJ black belt who focusses on MMA, not fighting really but teaching. He's a bit of a renouned "douche" but it's interesting how much skill goes into just one technique.

Have a look at the fight too. It's over pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'd be very surprised if guys like Frank Mir and Tito Ortis haven't developed some serious neurological condition by the time they reach their 50's. Every time i seen them they were getting pummeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ah, I think that you are thinking of Jiu Jitsu. That is certainly true for Jiu Jitsu and one of the pioneers of BJJ commented that if you punch a black belt in the face he becomes a brown belt, again and he becomes a purple belt, so yeah that's true for BJJ. But I don't think the same could be said for anyone sparring in MMA, at least any more so than for boxing.

You know, if you are interested in the techniques, you would be very interested in the MMA techniques and the sheer range of them. The skill levels required are unbelievable. Have a look at this video which is a 10 minute breakdown of one techique employed by one female fighter. (Yes FEMALE!) The guy presenting is a BJJ black belt who focusses on MMA, not fighting really but teaching. He's a bit of a renouned "douche" but it's interesting how much skill goes into just one technique.

Have a look at the fight too. It's over pretty fast.

No its boxing I'm thinking of. BJJ focuses on grappling, take downs and mostly ground work? Surely on the ground is the last place even a black belt would want to be in a confrontation on a night out etc.

I've seen Ronda before, shes quite the lady ;)

Anyway we'll be going around in circles here, I get what your saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

No its boxing I'm thinking of. BJJ focuses on grappling, take downs and mostly ground work? Surely on the ground is the last place even a black belt would want to be in a confrontation on a night out etc.

I've seen Ronda before, shes quite the lady ;)

Anyway we'll be going around in circles here, I get what your saying.

More effective than you would think! Here's a video of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu legend Ryan Hall using BJJ in a self defence scenario. He's not a big fella either, weighing less than 11 stone.

This video displays the occurrence in its entirety, to show exactly how Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can be used in self-defense as a means to control and subdue an opponent. Without a single punch thrown, the opponent is first controlled, and in a second encounter choked unconscious as a means to end the confrontation.

Jonah42 wrote: »
    More effective than you would think! Here's a video of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu legend Ryan Hall using BJJ in a self defence scenario. He's not a big fella either, weighing less than 11 stone.

This video displays the occurrence in its entirety, to show exactly how Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can be used in self-defense as a means to control and subdue an opponent. Without a single punch thrown, the opponent is first controlled, and in a second encounter choked unconscious as a means to end the confrontation.

I was kinda hoping he would drop 4 or 5 elbows on him when he wrestled him to the floor the first time. What an A'hole that guy was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Somebody stole your full stops!

Ninja bastards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

As soon as a fighter has been KO'd, the ref steps in and stops it. Unlike in boxing, where a guy can be floored several times but be allowed to keep getting up.

Actually there are a lot of rules. No hits to the back of the head, no eye pokes, no groin shots, no knees or kicks to the head of a grounded opponent. You sound like you really haven't researched this at all.

What is a sport? The Oxford Dictionary definition: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment". ....SOUNDS LIKE MMA TO ME

It's not street fighting. It combines every effective element of martial arts e.g. boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ, Judo

Unless the OP can come up with a factual rebuttal to any of these points then he has no basis for the absurd idea of banning the fastest growing sport in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP has closed his account.

He's a sensitive soul...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OP has closed his account.

He's a sensitive soul...

Bless... Perhaps he has decided to start a lobbying group to ban UFC and felt having a boards account would distract him?

EDIT: Reading the thread it looks like he was banned from posting in his own thread, had a complaint in DR insta closed and I guess has ragequit boards as a result.

It's strange how people can take things so personally on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

EDIT: Reading the thread it looks like he was banned from posting in his own thread, had a complaint in DR insta closed and I guess has ragequit boards as a result.

It's strange how people can take things so personally on the internet.

His DR complaint wasn't even insta closed, he closed his account fairly soon after posting that complaint, didn't even give the CMods/Admin a chance to look at it and rightfully dismiss it. They only closed that thread once they realised he closed the account.

He reckons he was subjected to mockery/insults- I can't see why he thinks this, I also can't help but think that it was a strange choice to post this in After Hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Another thread on MMA by someone who hasn't a breeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭BensonSlide

UFC is one of those things that its fans and followers get really, really passionate about. This happens with many things - cricket, model boats, lawn bowls. The enthusiasm can be infectious.

It doesn't mean the hobby or passion isn't ridiculously boring to watch.

UFC is an excellent case study in effective marketing though. Really fascinating.

Advertisement