Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on USB turntables?

• 18-09-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello Boarders....

I've searched the topic and can't find anything recent in any way (at least a year & a half old...) but apologies if I've missed something.

I am looking at starting the mammoth task of transferring my vinyl collection to MP3/WAV....and was wondering about a decent, good enough quality USB turntable. Don't have loads of cash (is the €100 mark in anyway reasonable?) so was wondering what advice you all could give and maybe give me pointers etc? Don't really know anyone who has one so hence throwing this open to all...!

Will be using MP3/WAV's for playing out (gigs & radio) etc...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Jon if you care about sound quality just get a normal turntable and either decent soundcard + phono pre-amp or something like the Audio 2 card from Native Instruments that already has a built in phone pre-amp. You can used software like soundforge or Audacity for recording (FREE). Another thing to remember is to ONLY monitor your recording from your cans, otherwise noise from the speakers will affect the recording and vibration of the stylus (I use the Arkiv from Ortofon, amazing sound quality).

It's a very time-consuming process so you might as well get it right from the get-go and have a good system in place. I find one record (assuming recording 4 tracks) can take up to 30 mins when taking into account of:
    • Editing out pops/clicks (optional but sometimes nice if they're very bad)
    • Naming of tracks/tags
    • Downloading artwork (optional!)
    • Saving files and keeping organised in folders (ie 4 tunes on one record inside folder with the release artist and name)

Here's a really good guide I just found for you too! I've recorded nearly 500 of my records in full so far so if you have anymore questions just hit me up :)

http://www.lostturntable.com/?p=1605

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Giles wrote: »
    or something like the Audio 2 card from Native Instruments that already has a built in phone pre-amp.

Unless there has been an update to it, the Audio 2 only has outputs Giles. The input is the USB side of it.

Otherwise, I fully agree. Use a quality turntable and a phono pre-amp. If you bought a good second hand table and phono amp just for converting your records and sold them again when you're done, your net cost would be close to zero I'd say. That sort of gear doesn't really depreciate after it reaches 2nd hand value, depending on condition of course.

Advertisement