Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

throwing cigarette butts out the car window

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Pocket ashtrays are a thing. Seriously. I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hammer89 wrote: »
    If travel tickets started to smell like sh*t after you're finished with them, like cigarette butts do, then you probably wouldn't carry one around in your pocket or your wallet until you find a bin in my opinion. I think you'd be tempted to discard it by whatever means necessary if a bin wasn't available.

If I knew I was going to be carrying something smelly, I'd be prepared for that, like when I walk the neighbour's dog. I carry a poop bag with me. If I was going to be carrying a butt with me, I'd carry a portable ashtray. Why don't you carry a portable ashtray?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭ozmo

.. the amount that would flick back hit my bike, bike gear on me or worst case go inside helmet or down neck.

Happened.

This happened to me too - hit me inside my motorbike helmet - very dangerous situation.

I also know someone who did it once - she was complaining to me how a car driver driving behind her reported her reg number and she got a littering fine in the post. delighted I was :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

If I knew I was going to be carrying something smelly, I'd be prepared for that, like when I walk the neighbour's dog. I carry a poop bag with me. If I was going to be carrying a butt with me, I'd carry a portable ashtray. Why don't you carry a portable ashtray?

You carry a poo bag because the dog is more than likely going to take a sh*t. Am I more than likely going to litter cigarettes every single day? Absolutely not. I don't do this and I'm not bringing an ashtray in my pocket everywhere I go on the off-chance I might smoke somewhere where there isn't a bin. It's totally impractical.

The other reason is I couldn't care less. If smokers voluntarily damage their own health for the sake of nicotine then why do you think they'd be any more considerate toward the environment or maritime life like plankton? Again, you're not a smoker so you can't relate to the apathy.

The bottom line is that you wouldn't be able to know for definite whether you'd be carrying something smelly, and let's face it, carrying a poo bag is nowhere near as inconvenient as carrying an ashtray in public, or something cumbersome hanging off your keys that you'd only need to use about four times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭ozmo

Just some links...

To report littering or illegal dumping, contact the local authority or call the 24-hour National Environmental Complaints Line on 1850 365 121.

link www.citizensinformation.ie

"Litter means any type of rubbish left lying in an open or public place. It includes everything from cigarette ends to dog fouling and unwanted furniture. The Litter Pollution Act 1997 (as amended in 2017), allows local authorities to impose penalties on people who litter. The Gardaí have the power to issue on-the-spot fines for litter offences."

Also Irish Times Article - Cigarettes account for half of all litter in Ireland

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

You carry a poo bag because the dog is more than likely going to take a sh*t. Am I more than likely going to litter cigarettes every single day? Absolutely not. I don't do this and I'm not bringing an ashtray in my pocket everywhere I go on the off-chance I might smoke somewhere where there isn't a bin. It's totally impractical.

Isn't it amazing how you manage to carry your fags and your lighter, but you can't manage to carry a portable ashtray?

The bottom line is, indeed, that you don't care about polluting the world with plastic, once there is a minimal convenience for yourself. It is anti-social behaviour.

The bottom line is, indeed, that you don't care about polluting the world with plastic, once there is a minimal convenience for yourself. It is anti-social behaviour.

You're right I don't care about polluting the world with plastic but, considering you've literally just admitted to using dog poo bags, I'd suggest you don't either Andrew. Biodegradable or not, they're not all that eco-friendly in comparison to a newspaper or something. Are you going to use a newspaper from now or will you continue using plastic because of its convenience?

Maybe we're not that different. You might not litter but for someone who has spent the last five days saying how decent he is and how indecent I am, you have a lot of explaining to do nonetheless.

Save it though because I don't care. This is my last post on the subject. I'll leave you with a snippet of my first post on the subject and you boys can decide whether I was right or wrong this entire time.
    "They might feign concern about the environment or something to validate the grievance but, as I said, it's feigned and without merit."

If you do your homework you can easily buy fully compostable dog bags. When disposed of properly, they aren't littering. Or you can flush it and reuse bag.

When one admits to littering toxic garbage and not even caring, there is no leg to stand on to lecture anyone else. Attempting to drag someone down to your level doesn't make you any better or solve anything. Which is the real point.

You could:
    1. Stop smoking
    2. Roll your own cigarettes
    3. Buy and use a portable ash tray

You're right I don't care about polluting the world with plastic but, considering you've literally just admitted to using dog poo bags, I'd suggest you don't either Andrew. Biodegradable or not, they're not all that eco-friendly in comparison to a newspaper or something. Are you going to use a newspaper from now or will you continue using plastic because of its convenience?

Maybe we're not that different. You might not litter but for someone who has spent the last five days saying how decent he is and how indecent I am, you have a lot of explaining to do nonetheless.

Save it though because I don't care. This is my last post on the subject. I'll leave you with a snippet of my first post on the subject and you boys can decide whether I was right or wrong this entire time.
    They're biodegradable bags. So they're gone in 40-60 days when disposed properly, in a designated bin.

Here's a mad idea - you could just not smoke when you don't have a bin handy. Just hold off until you're near a bin. Would that be too inconvenient for you too?

They're biodegradable bags. So they're gone in 40-60 days when disposed properly, in a designated bin.

Link
    Unfortunately, many poop bags that claim to be earth-friendly or biodegradable don’t actually break down within a year, and some never degrade at all.

Maybe Irish or British brands are more trustworthy in that respect. Who knows. Who cares. Use newspaper. At least you know with one million percent certainty that it'll break down.

• Advertisement

Link

Maybe Irish or British brands are more trustworthy in that respect. Who knows. Who cares. Use newspaper. At least you know with one million percent certainty that it'll break down.

Did you actually read the article you linked to? It confirms that they do biodegrade when disposed of properly.

Maybe we should do some tests? I'll just drop a few bags on your doorstep for testing, because it's not convenient for me to put them anywhere else, so I'm sure you'll understand that my convenience is the most important thing.

I did yes. Go ahead and do your tests. Do mine after about the chewing gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So a liar, a filthy litter bug and a hypocrite.

With 25,000 posts I find it hard to believe that you've never once declared something similar only to go back on it Omackeral.

There is nothing to be tested. Don't try to drag the rest of the world down to your low standard.

Great. Can we decide which one of us gets the last word now please? This discussion ended when you started talking about dog sh*t. I want it, the last word. I can't lie, I do. And you've made it perfectly clear over the course of about nine pages that you're a bigger man than me because you don't litter, so be the bigger man and let me have the last word. Don't post another nothing, inane comment in response to this. Remember, you're the decent one and I'm the one destined for hell. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm a smoker (unfortunately). And yes, I have disposed of my cigarette butts by throwing them on the ground or out the window of the car. Why? Convenience, and a care-less attitude. It was the done thing, everyone I know who smokes throws away the butts, most like myself would use a bin if it's nearby, which is grand when walking through a city as there are bins galore, but there's not always one handy. I could get a pocket ashtray, but like my phone, wallet, keys, glasses, etc, I'll eventually forget it (and probably more so, as it wouldn't be used constantly). And when driving, I would always ensure there's no one behind me if I was to throw one out. I do smoke rollies, but I also use filters. Yes, I'm wrong. And I'll try to change but I'm not promising anything, it's hard to break a habit and I'm not always consciously smoking (habit, boredom, sometimes forget I had a smoke at all).

This thread has made me more aware though, especially while driving, and I'll do my utmost to stop it. I actually don't think I've ever been in a smokers car and see the ashtray being used. Even back in the day, they just weren't used because of the smell. Not excusing it, just facts. You still see it, pubs, clubs, restaurants, people with ashtrays on the table will still throw it on the ground. And you have a large section of society who are known to smoke and just don't care, that'll never change either (scumbags, I'm talking about actual proper scumbags, not the cigarette butt disposing "scumbags").

I wish I could just give them up altogether though, but until cannabis is legalised, I'm stuck smoking. Pretty sure if it was legalised, I'd give up smoking entirely as there are other options for cannabis consumption then. So yeah, I blame the government for my smoking habits and the subsequent littering that comes with it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I'm a smoker (unfortunately). And yes, I have disposed of my cigarette butts by throwing them on the ground or out the window of the car. Why? Convenience, and a care-less attitude. It was the done thing, everyone I know who smokes throws away the butts, most like myself would use a bin if it's nearby, which is grand when walking through a city as there are bins galore, but there's not always one handy. I could get a pocket ashtray, but like my phone, wallet, keys, glasses, etc, I'll eventually forget it (and probably more so, as it wouldn't be used constantly). And when driving, I would always ensure there's no one behind me if I was to throw one out. I do smoke rollies, but I also use filters. Yes, I'm wrong. And I'll try to change but I'm not promising anything, it's hard to break a habit and I'm not always consciously smoking (habit, boredom, sometimes forget I had a smoke at all).

This thread has made me more aware though, especially while driving, and I'll do my utmost to stop it. I actually don't think I've ever been in a smokers car and see the ashtray being used. Even back in the day, they just weren't used because of the smell. Not excusing it, just facts. You still see it, pubs, clubs, restaurants, people with ashtrays on the table will still throw it on the ground. And you have a large section of society who are known to smoke and just don't care, that'll never change either (scumbags, I'm talking about actual proper scumbags, not the cigarette butt disposing "scumbags").

I wish I could just give them up altogether though, but until cannabis is legalised, I'm stuck smoking. Pretty sure if it was legalised, I'd give up smoking entirely as there are other options for cannabis consumption then. So yeah, I blame the government for my smoking habits and the subsequent littering that comes with it! :pac:

Fair play for becoming aware and trying to stop it.

Great. Can we decide which one of us gets the last word now please? This discussion ended when you started talking about dog sh*t. I want it, the last word. I can't lie, I do. And you've made it perfectly clear over the course of about nine pages that you're a bigger man than me because you don't litter, so be the bigger man and let me have the last word. Don't post another nothing, inane comment in response to this. Remember, you're the decent one and I'm the one destined for hell. Cheers.

Fair enough so.

And please stop littering for your 'convenience'.

As a smoker Potential-Monke, would you agree that it's silly for a non-smoker to categorically say that they would properly dispose of every single cigarette they ever smoke, and they'd never litter their butts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭seagull

My parents both smoked, and they managed to do it without littering their butts. The fact that the car smelt like an ash tray is probably one of the reasons why neither myself or my siblings were ever tempted to smoke.

seagull wrote: »
    My parents both smoked, and they managed to do it without littering their butts. The fact that the car smelt like an ash tray is probably one of the reasons why neither myself or my siblings were ever tempted to smoke.

If they both smoked then I can tell you with reasonable certainty that they would've littered their cigarette butts from time to time, when there was no ashtray or bin nearby.

I'm not calling you a liar because you probably think it's true, but it's very unlikely because to say your parents never littered a cigarette butt is a bit like saying they never smoked outdoors when there was no bin around. Where were they putting them?

You've also overlooked the fact that car ashtrays don't hold that many cigarette butts, and if there was two of them using it on a regular basis then it wouldn't take that long to fill up. Maybe your mam and dad emptied the ashtray religiously or maybe one flew out the window every now and again?

If they both smoked then I can tell you with reasonable certainty that they would've littered their cigarette butts from time to time, when there was no ashtray or bin nearby.

I'm not calling you a liar because you probably think it's true, but it's very unlikely because to say your parents never littered a cigarette butt is a bit like saying they never smoked outdoors when there was no bin around. Where were they putting them?

You've also overlooked the fact that car ashtrays don't hold that many cigarette butts, and if there was two of them using it on a regular basis then it wouldn't take that long to fill up. Maybe your mam and dad emptied the ashtray religiously or maybe one flew out the window every now and again?
    Whatever anyone did or didn't do in the past doesn't justify your continued littering.

Whatever anyone did or didn't do in the past doesn't justify your continued littering.

Our discussion has run its course.

Our discussion has run its course.

For real this time or ?

I have a very good idea, I think! To stop people throwing cigarette butts on the ground or out of car windows.
    How do i go about getting it done? Don't know about patents or anything, would need work before then, where or how should I go about that?

bubblypop wrote: »
    I have a very good idea, I think! To stop people throwing cigarette butts on the ground or out of car windows.
    How do i go about getting it done? Don't know about patents or anything, would need work before then, where or how should I go about that?

Just PM me the idea and exactly how it works and I'll get back to you.

Solutions are not acceptable on this post! This here thread is the bottom-less pit where solutions and good intentions go to die. Good luck with that idea though!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just PM me the idea and exactly how it works and I'll get back to you.

Haha the joke is that he won't get back to you and he'll steal the idea for himself!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Solutions are not acceptable on this post! This here thread is the bottom-less pit where solutions and good intentions go to die. Good luck with that idea though!

Another sign that the discussion is dead is when people start talking like John Wayne for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement