Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

But next year Kieth will be through the magical 25 years old barrier with a full license and three years no claims. =]

Bikers: One.
    Insurance Companies: A couple of billion and counting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kang

BrynW wrote:
    I read the article about that in the star a few months ago!
    me 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Right - finally got round to getting quotes for my insurance renewal:

900cc, Thunderbird Sport - think it fell into Hibernia's category 9 insurance, I'm 37 with no claims ever (thankfully). Fully Comp insurance.

Carole Nash, €1,100 (which they rang back to say they'd drop to 1,000).
    AON, €810.

Don't know what the hell is wrong with Carole Nash these days, that's a ridiculous figure. Though I was very tired today and just not in the humour for an argument or a haggle so perhaps if I promised to only drive on Sundays and never take a pillion it could have come down but AON's seemed a fair enough figure so just went with that. Never asked about the whole training thing I realised later - is getting trained worth it financially (irrespective of the driving technique stuff)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

art wrote:
    :
    :
    ...Never asked about the whole training thing I realised later - is getting trained worth it financially (irrespective of the driving technique stuff)?

Yes it is worth it - both financially and safety wise. I just passed the ROSPA and will be getting a €150 cheque from AON in the post. Don't know what they worked it out like but I have 8 or 9 months left on the policy. It will pay for the training and exams with the savings in this and next year's renewals. Even quicker if you are Fully Comp which is nice (because the higher the cost of the policy the more the 30% equates to).

Basically if you do the AON test and you get between 10 - 30% off or something like that. The ROSPA test is also recognised by AON - moreso than by Carol Nash who will only give you a 10% discount for the same Grade.

30% off €810 is €567 which is a tidy saving compared to €900 with CN.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Yes it is worth it - both financially and safety wise. I just passed the ROSPA and will be getting a €150 cheque from AON in the post. Don't know what they worked it out like but I have 8 or 9 months left on the policy. It will pay for the training and exams with the savings in this and next year's renewals. Even quicker if you are Fully Comp which is nice (because the higher the cost of the policy the more the 30% equates to).

Basically if you do the AON test and you get between 10 - 30% off or something like that. The ROSPA test is also recognised by AON - moreso than by Carol Nash who will only give you a 10% discount for the same Grade.

30% off €810 is €567 which is a tidy saving compared to €900 with CN.

L.
    Bugger, better do it so :) Too lazy and I'm quite experienced rider now too so the thoughts of prissily driving around, trying to mind my manners while being examined was a bit off putting but can't argue with the savings you're suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Age 24
    Bike : - GSXR 1000cc K3
    Full Licence & 2yrs no claims
    Class 11 or 12 for insurance
    Price of Insurance **FREE Fully Comp**

got initial quote for bike and it was over 5K from Hibernian & Rang CN they said they wouldn't quote me because I was to young and to cut along story short I accused them of age discrimination and about 4/5 months later to shut me up they gave me fully comp insurance for freeeeeeee.

Keitho....

personally i was kinda for the insurance comp in this one,apart from the age discrimination, personally i dont think anyone with 2 years no claim should be alowed to drive a bike that powerful, sorry

but in saying this, this is my major problem with the insurance industry, basing insurance quotes on age rather than experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

madrab wrote:
    personally i was kinda for the insurance comp in this one,apart from the age discrimination, personally i dont think anyone with 2 years no claim should be alowed to drive a bike that powerful, sorry

but in saying this, this is my major problem with the insurance industry, basing insurance quotes on age rather than experience

wait, werent you the one complaining there's no direct access in this country?
    There's no pleasing some people. he wasnt asking for free insurance (although fair play he got it) he was asking for a quote, which as a full license holder, who's past his 2 years restriction period he was entitled to get.

echomadman wrote:
    wait, werent you the one complaining there's no direct access in this country?

eh? what you talkking about?

my point is that you should have to build up bike experience before you can just go and buy a superbike

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Bike: Suzuki GN 125
    Licence: Prov
    NCB: 0
    CN: 1350 TPO
    AON: 2600 TPO

Got the CN policy in August. If I was 25, the AON quote was €1100. So, if I want insurance from AON on 5th Feb 2006, it's €2600, on 6th Feb, it's €1100 (Of course at 12 midnight on the 5th, I will gain supernatural powers in motorbike driving ;) but it still seems a bit ridiculous).

Another thing which was extremely annoying: I have a full car licence for 5 years, 6 years NCB. This was not considered.. Fair enough you might say, driving a bike is v different to driving a car. However, they didn't mind using the 4 points on my (separate) car licence as an excuse to hike up the price.. Not giving me credit for the years of experience (claim-free) in the car but penalising me for points gotten while driving the car! It's complete b*****t!

By the way, before somebody points out that the fact that I have 4 points indicates I am a fast driver:
    - The first 2 were recieved on the first couple of days of the points scheme for doing 51mph on the Lucan by-pass in a ridiculous 40mph zone (which has probably since been switched to 50mph/80kph). I was only caught to boost the numbers when the scheme started!
    - The second 2 were recieved on the Cabra Rd on the way into work on a quiet Saturday morning doing 41mph (30mph zone officially but doesn't exactly make me Evil Kinevil for using some discression in the conditions - and keeping up with the flow of traffic!)

Dr Pepper wrote:
    Got the CN policy in August. If I was 25, the AON quote was €1100. So, if I want insurance from AON on 5th Feb 2006, it's €2600, on 6th Feb, it's €1100 (Of course at 12 midnight on the 5th, I will gain supernatural powers in motorbike driving ;) but it still seems a bit ridiculous).

Interesting the difference there. I was amazed at how the two companies conducted their business when making the calls: CN wanted to know my occupation, age, where the bike was stored, was it alarmed, what was the make of alarm etc etc AON asked my age and bike model and feck all else. They seem to have a much more simplistic way of generating the quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

madrab wrote:
    eh? what you talkking about?

my point is that you should have to build up bike experience before you can just go and buy a superbike

sorry had you mixed up with someone else,
    still though whats your metric for "experienced enough"
    you could have 5 years NCB and only have ridden a bike for a few weekends in the summer of each of those, or you could be a year round commuter who does track days and rides for fun in his spare time with 2 years ncb.

Who's the more experienced rider there?

thats true, but i think it is still far better than a 23 yr old with 5 yrs no claims being insured on a bike for 1600, and a 40 with 0 experiences paying far less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maybebaby

Bike: FZR1000
    Licence: Full
    NCB: 1 yr
    Insurance company: WGV 180€ TPO

Only one year ncb because that's counted by vehicle and not by driver (I have a second FZR 1000 with 3 or 4 yrs ncb which costs 140€ TPO)...
    No restriction on driver (as long as it has a valid license)...

This is a normal price for a >98 PS bike (at least back home in Germany;)) - so I'm really confused about the really ridiculous quotes I'm reading here.

Are the insurance companies making real good money out of that or are there that many accidents happening?:confused:

its mainly due to the spirilling costs of insurance payouts as there is no fixed system & people want as much compo as they can get

i dont get the way the noclaims works? if i drive a bike for 3 years(3yr ncb) and get a new one does that mean i have to start my ncb again?

ps damn you!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 maybebaby

madrab wrote:
    its mainly due to the spirilling costs of insurance payouts as there is no fixed system & people want as much compo as they can get
    but people can't be "cheating" that much so you have to pay like 4 or 5 (in extreme cases 10 times) as much as somewhere else...:confused:
    I mean even for those little 50cc-scooters - the insurance on them is like 80€/year for tpo and 120€ for tpot+f, over here it's 280€ or 580€/yr (depending on insurance) for tpo and 580 or 1000€ for full comp...:eek: :confused:
    i dont get the way the noclaims works? if i drive a bike for 3 years(3yr ncb) and get a new one does that mean i have to start my ncb again?
    no, I actually explained it wrong - the ncb is per insurance contract, which you can use for your next vehicle...
    ps damn you!!! :D

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Could you not just add the second bike to the origianl policy AFAIK both AON and Carole Nash can add second bikes to your policy for a minor handling fee of about €25-€50. You basically pay for the more expensive policy and then just pay for the paperwork to be processed to add the lesser.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Bike: Yamaha YBR 125 05'
    Provisional License
    Insurance Cost: €1058 TPO

Friend is getting a restricted bandit at the weekend. He is 25 in Feb and won't be driving the bike till then (ouch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Full car licence (2003)
    0 NCB on motorcycles
    Peugeot Vivacity 50cc

With AON I pay €543.

Interestly, I tried getting an internet quote off an UK company, using the address I used to live at in Belfast earlier this year.

Quote was £181 which is €269. This works out at almost exacty double what I pay now. Rip off Republic!!!
    How can an insurance quote in Dublin be double what it is Belfast?

I'm guessing lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're lucky it's only double mate. My insurance (classic bike) is almost four times what it would be in the UK.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Licence: 1st Provisional
    NCB: n/a
    Bike: Yamaha YBR 125

I got a quote from Aon for 1400 euro, CN wont insure!!

Kinda variable wouldn't you agree...guess its all to do where we are from!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

€1400 is fantastic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

AON: 535 TPO now, its 115eur less that a couple months ago.

Who said that prices are rising in nowadays ;)
    j@utis wrote:
    Licence: Provisional A (1st)
    Sex: F
    NCB: 0
    Bike: gonna be Honda NSR125R (has anybody seen it for sale smwh? :rolleyes: )

AON: 650 TPO ;)
    CN: 1143 TPO :eek:

j@utis wrote:
    AON: 535 TPO now, its 115eur less that a couple months ago.

Who said that prices are rising in nowadays ;)

nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tq

Licence: Full Licence + Grade 2 Aon Training
    NCB: 1 year
    Bike: Honda CBR250

€2500

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

tq wrote:
    Licence: Full Licence + Grade 2 Aon Training
    NCB: 1 year
    Bike: Honda CBR250

€2500

That's pretty disgraceful considering your experience/training - An absolute beginner on a prov licence, age 25, can get insured on a restricted Suzuki Bandit 600 for €912 (Aon group 5, outside Dublin).
    Age seems to be the main factor taken into account with Aon! Also, if you say 'yes' when they ask if you drive 'regularly' in Dublin, your premium doubles (or more) straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Dr Pepper wrote:
    That's pretty disgraceful considering your experience/training - An absolute beginner on a prov licence, age 25, can get insured on a restricted Suzuki Bandit 600 for €912 (Aon group 5, outside Dublin).
    Age seems to be the main factor taken into account with Aon! Also, if you say 'yes' when they ask if you drive 'regularly' in Dublin, your premium doubles (or more) straight away.

Your absolutely right. I first got a quote of 2100 for my YBR and then it went to 1450, when they found out where I was from and where the bike will be going every day (dublin) it went from the stated 1450 to over 3000. so when I ring next time to pay...i'm not going anywhere near dublin. Considering once your insured your insured for all areas of Ireland...its just a way for the insurance companies to charge that bit extra...greedy buggers.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've been getting insurance quotes of a Northern Irish website and they are amazingly cheap.

Could I use my old address there and apply for insurance with this company. I work in Dublin at present but I could say I commute from NI if the insurance company ever asked.

Is this fraud? Since we are in the EU, I don't see any reason why I couldn't apply through a UK company providing they were willing to cover me in the Republic of Ireland.

I'm not trying to break the law here, so mods please don't ban me. I'm sure some people have thought of this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

micmclo wrote:
    Could I use my old address there and apply for insurance with this company.
    You could. But you'll end up with a piece of paper which could turn out to be worthless in the event of an accident, then find yourself done for driving with no insurance.
    I work in Dublin at present but I could say I commute from NI if the insurance company ever asked. Is this fraud?
    Yes, if you conceal the fact that you really live in the Republic from them (because if they knew, they'd either not quote you or charge you more to reflect the increased risk.)

It's like the Dublin-residents-using-country-addresses thing :mad: if they don't want to pay Dublin prices they can always choose not to live here!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Second Provisional
    2 yrs NCB
    Aerox 50cc
    Aon, now going through axa.
    €1200

got a quote for a car of €1700 so im moving to a car and going to get a provisional 125 after my driving test.

• Advertisement

get the provisional a rather than the a1, the a1 licence is pointless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement