Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which obnoxious Friends character are you?

Options
  • 19-09-2019 12:25am

Let's face it. They're all horrible people.

Self-involved, sexist, downright rude.

I don't want to identify with any of them.

Monica is the worst. I've been doing some homework, I've been taking notes. After having been laid up with the flu over the past few days, I've been carefully studying back episodes of Friends on Netflix.

She threw a plate at her friends during a simple boardgame. She's bossy, she's rude, and I bet nobody would be her friend if it weren't for the fact that they like her brother (let's not get started on him).

My questions are three-fold.

Why was this TV show ever popular?
    Who was the most awful character?
    And which of these horrible, horrible people do you identify with?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd be Randle I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

F--k Ray D'Arcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Fun Bobby without the alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’m more of a George Costanza.
    Friends is ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's become very trendy to complain about Friends. I thought it was hilarious back then. When I see snippets of it now, I still do.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It's become very trendy to complain about Friends. I thought it was hilarious back then. When I see snippets of it now, I still do.

If I could give you my Flu and my Netflix login, I would.

You might change your mind.

A lot of people didn't like it then and therefore probably still don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

You having 'Man Flu' again Tyrant?

Anyway, I'd be Joey. No real complications. Just basic aims in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Your Face wrote: »
    A lot of people didn't like it then and therefore probably still don't like it.
    Yeah I don't mean those folk. Just the onslaught in recent times that's kinda sneery (belittling the tastes of people who like(d) it) and looks bandwagonish. And the delayed offence taking. Like the Apu case, why offence all of a sudden? Why not earlier in the intervening 20 odd years?

You having 'Man Flu' again Tyrant?

Anyway, I'd be Joey. No real complications. Just basic aims in life.

Hanging. I'm writing my will on a sweet-wrapper as I type. This is worse than a man flu.

We digress. Joey Tribiani should have been on a sex offenders' list, you know.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't mean those folk. Just the onslaught in recent times that's kinda sneery (belittling the tastes of people who like(d) it) and looks bandwagonish. And the delayed offence taking. Like the Apu case, why offence all of a sudden? Why not earlier in the intervening 20 odd years?

F--k Ray D'Arcy

*Yawn*

I don't identity with the premise of your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

lol, was trying to understand the first post on this thread, then I realised the title didn't actually read 'Which obnoxious French character are you?' as I thought.

oops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    lol, was trying to understand the first post on this thread, then I realised the title didn't actually read 'Which obnoxious French character are you?' as I thought.

oops :D

Va te faire enculer!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ur so kool, OP! Stick it to the man!!1!

Friends was, and still is, a great show. I've seen most of the episodes several times and they still make me laugh years later. There's a reason why it's so enduringly popular, it's a fantastic sitcom.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why was this TV show ever popular?
    Who was the most awful character? And which of these horrible, horrible people do you identify with?

They struck gold with the setting and the characters. Sitcoms aren't made like seasons 1-4 of Friends anymore everything is rushed through for fear of cancellation. It's a decent show up until Chandler and Monica move in together then the best partnership (Joey and Chandler) dissolves.

Phoebe is the worst, without a doubt. Annoying, unfunny and a horrific singer to boot. I do rewatch and wonder what exactly her purpose is in the show. Friends with who exactly? Monica? Cos they lived together briefly? Yes I might hate Phoebe.

What do you mean identify with, as in most similar too? Would be a combination of all three guys depending on what mood I'm in.

Ross for the rage and awkward situations he gets into.

Joey for being very very stupid at least 50% of the day

Chandler cos I work as a transponster :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hate the whole fucking lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Arghus wrote: »
    I hate the whole fucking lot of them.

Yeah, I hate Jennifer Aniston too. Especially on a cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

Friends is not popular among 21st century wokescolds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I have the self absorption of Rachel combined with the self absorption of all the other characters. Thank you Tyrant for starting a thread about how brilliant I am.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    Friends is not popular among 21st century wokescolds.

Almost nothing is, they are amongst the most miserable people to have ever existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Rachel was pretty cool in fairness, and Jennifer Aniston is also cool. Brad Pitt lost out on that one.

Good show! For the first few seasons anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I’m not a huge fan of Friends. It was watchable back when it was first on but I think only nostalgic dullards enjoy it these days, both pining back to simpler times and throwing away the time they have now instead of reading, or running or watching something more substantive.

My daughter loves it, though, and she told me I was like the character Hugh Laurie plays. I don’t remember seeing him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Like most sitcoms, it was popular because the situations were funny. I guess the clue is in the name of the genre. Most sitcoms I can think of don’t have likeable characters in the sense that you’d actually want to hang out with them. Rachel was the most likeable and realistic of them all - probably because she was played by the best actor of the lot. Yer one who played Phoebe was like something out of a school play.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I’m not a huge fan of Friends. It was watchable back when it was first on but I think only nostalgic dullards enjoy it these days, both pining back to simpler times and throwing away the time they have now instead of reading, or running or watching something more substantive.

My daughter loves it, though, and she told me I was like the character Hugh Laurie plays. I don’t remember seeing him in it.

He was in the London episodes as Emily's dad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Rachel was pretty cool in fairness, and Jennifer Aniston is also cool. Brad Pitt lost out on that one.

He probably cries himself to sleep on a large pile of money and several Victoria Secret Models every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

He probably cries himself to sleep on a large pile of money and several Victoria Secret Models every night.

Sounds uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He was in the London episodes as Emily's dad

He wasn’t Emily’s dad, he was just on the airplane.

The tide is turning…

He wasn’t Emily’s dad, he was just on the airplane.
    The airplane was Emily's dad.

• Advertisement

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    My daughter loves it, though, and she told me I was like the character Hugh Laurie plays.
    Story checks out.

giphy.gif

Advertisement