Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query regarding car insurance

• 18-09-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everybody,

I have a query regarding car insurance and need some help from people in the know. A brief background on me, I am a 28 year old male, live and work in Dublin. I passed my driving test two weeks ago. I never had car insurance before as I just did driving lessons until I passed the driving test. I am trying to get my own insurance policy on a 2002 Toyota Corolla 1.4lt. I have contacted nearly all the car insurers at this stage, but I am getting fairly exorbitant quotes, i.e. 2.5k plus. A lot more than what the car is worth and I can't afford it.

So my father (from Kerry) has suggested that he be made the insurance policy holder and I be added as a named driver to the policy to reduce the price. I understand that this is what is referred to as "fronting". I would be doing most of the driving with the car.

In the event of an accident, is it possible for the insurance company to determine that I am the daily driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Yes. They will.
    You will be asked if you are the main driver. Don’t lie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

moreWD40 wrote: »
    So my father (from Kerry) has suggested that he be made the insurance policy holder and I be added as a named driver to the policy to reduce the price. I understand that this is what is referred to as "fronting". I would be doing most of the driving with the car.

Does your father already own a car and does he have his own insurance policy?

If 'yes', he can't insure your car in his name. Beyond your regular car, you can have a classic car policy and you could insure a taxi or hackney car for professional use but you cannot insure two 'ordinary' cars in your own name for private use.

If 'no', how long since he owned a car and if it's a few years, the chances are that it will be better for you to get your own policy and start building up your own no-claims discount.

If you get a policy in your father's name with you as a named driver and you have an accident driving your the car in Dublin, you will have to explain how you (with a job in Dublin) are only an 'occasional' driver of a car owned by your father who lives in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

coylemj wrote: »

If 'yes', he can't insure your car in his name. Beyond your regular car, you can have a classic car policy and you could insure a taxi or hackney car for professional use but you cannot insure two 'ordinary' cars in your own name for private use.

Are you sure about this? I thought you could insure 2 private cars but only use the no claims bonus on one of them. I think our can start building up a new no claims bonus on your second vehicle which you can use at renewal time for it.

I may be wrong on that so correct me if I am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If 'no', how long since he owned a car and if it's a few years, the chances are that it will be better for you to get your own policy and start building up your own no-claims discount.

If you get a policy in your father's name with you as a named driver and you have an accident driving your the car in Dublin, you will have to explain how you (with a job in Dublin) are only an 'occasional' driver of a car owned by your father who lives in Kerry.

That’s not true. An individual can own and insure multiple cars. You’ll find that you’ll have to build up your bonus on each policy separately though. It’s not gotten to stage where insurance companies can dictate how many cars one wishes to own yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moreWD40

That’s not true. An individual can own and insure multiple cars. You’ll find that you’ll have to build up your bonus on each policy separately though. It’s not gotten to stage where insurance companies can dictate how many cars one wishes to own yet.

This agrees with what I have been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 moreWD40

Yes this is what has me concerned. But I do know people who are doing exactly this. They have their car insured in their father/mother's name yet they are the "primary" driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Have you tried adding a few named drivers particularly middle aged woman. Mother aunt etc? It gets me a few hundred quid off each year. May be more in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op this happens to everyone for their first year's insurance. It may be less than half that next year. Best advice is to take the hit this year.

The old car could also affect the premium.
    One idea is get a loan for 15k or so over 5 years and pay for a new car and your first year's insurance using the loan. That way the once-off yr 1 cost is spread and you’ll have more insurers to choose from next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cloneslad wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I thought you could insure 2 private cars but only use the no claims bonus on one of them. I think our can start building up a new no claims bonus on your second vehicle which you can use at renewal time for it.

I may be wrong on that so correct me if I am

Yes, you are correct. A few years ago, I attempted to hang on to a car (it had very little sale value but was a great runabout) after buying a new car but when I was told I'd have to start with zero no-claims discount, I had to get rid of it.

I guess my point is/was that attempting to insure a second car and putting your son down as a named driver would be completely talking the p1ss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement