Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing for pike

• 17-09-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any experience of fly fishing for pike?

Is is something that's do-able this time of year?
    Where to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

boomdocker wrote: »
    Anyone got any experience of fly fishing for pike?

Is is something that's do-able this time of year?
    Where to go?

I gave caught maybe 20 over the 5 few years. Mostly targeted (ie using approp leader/tippet) some when fishing for trout, lost most of these but also landed some, pure fluke. Mostly on rivers that I will not name here (or via PM ;)). I also got a few on the canal. Start with small flies - say 3-5 inches and work you way up. I have a mate that uses huge 12+ inches things on a 10wt. Bloody hard work!

If I was you I would try lures in likely spots and if get a few hits, switch to the fly.

Very important tip is to make sure you have proper landing/handling and unhooking equipment, makes a real difference to the fish.

Very doable this time of year (or any time for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Great sport - highly recommended. If your looking for an outfit pm me. not dear to get into.

Great article by my friend pubz curran here on fly fishing for pike.

https://medium.com/ireland-on-the-fly/get-started-fly-fishing-for-pike-4ec79728a39a

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's a river in Clare which is full of Pike, it's not far from Lahinch it runs through Ennistymon, but fishing above the falls more back towards Inagh

It's easy to fish, and if you catch any if possible put the fckrs in a barrel and transfer them to a pike friendly lake.

The O'Garney river which runs through Sixmilebridge is productive too.

The river Fergus is also a cracking Pike river with the fly, especially the post office hole, or near Tescos that bridge where the train passes over.

Use big pike files and 9 weight line's

Advertisement