Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance looking for letter of refusal social security

Options
  • 17-09-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I am trying to claim for some stitches i got in france through my insurance (a french company i use via an even i was in)
    They are looking for a letter of refusal from my social security.
    Anyone any idea who or where i should ring to enquire about this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What they're saying to you suggests that a French person incurring that type of expense when abroad could claim it back from the French health service or social security system when they go home. So your insurance company is wondering why you're not doing the same and effectively what they want is a letter from the HSE here to state that they will not reimburse you.

But the cynic in me says that this is the usual travel insurance scam whereby they putting blockers in your way in the hope that you'll give up and go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Take a look at the "refund of payment" section. Apply for it, and if/when they send you a PFO, you can send that to the insurance company. It will all take a while.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

coylemj wrote: »
    What they're saying to you suggests that a French person incurring that type of expense when abroad could claim it back from the French health service or social security system when they go home. So your insurance company is wondering why you're not doing the same and effectively what they want is a letter from the HSE here to state that they will not reimburse you.

But the cynic in me says that this is the usual travel insurance scam whereby they putting blockers in your way in the hope that you'll give up and go away.

I googled it out of interest.

Seems in France only part of medical charges - the patient charge - is non-refundable.
    French people claim it back. Other Europeans use the EHIC card to avoid paying the charge in the first place.
    The balance after any excess would be covered by your insurer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/travel/8615933/What-does-my-EHIC-entitle-me-to.html

Seems like a reasonable request from the insurer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

Thanks everyone, I should of said this was a medical center in the alps and i presume not public. ( https://www.alpedhuez.com/fr/hiver/la-station/services/service-sante.html?item=228466#ad-image-0 )
    Would that change things?
    I'll contact HSE and try and find out.
    I prob would have given up by now only that it was €300 for 6 stitches!

madness really :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

booooonzo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I should of said this was a medical center in the alps and i presume not public. (

I had figured you were not treated in a publc hospital. But it still would have made sense to tell us in your first post that it was a private clinic.
    booooonzo wrote: »
    madness really :eek:

You build a private clinic up the mountains, what else are you going to do except charge an arm and leg for even basic treatment? They're there to make money, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement