Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

low mud wall....ideas please?

• 15-09-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    im a bit lost on finding a solution to this. Its nearly a vertical wall, very low approximately a foot. Im looking for a cheaper and easier way to pretty it up than building a retaining wall or putting in a raised flower bed. The lawn was originally sloped to meet the top of the muck and i had it levelled.Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dinnybyrne wrote: »
    Hi,
    im a bit lost on finding a solution to this. Its nearly a vertical wall, very low approximately a foot. Im looking for a cheaper and easier way to pretty it up than building a retaining wall or putting in a raised flower bed. The lawn was originally sloped to meet the top of the muck and i had it levelled.Any suggestions appreciated.

Photo? For input.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

listermint wrote:
    Photo? For input.

Sorry trying to add a pic now

Sorry trying to add a pic now

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You haven't done your hedge any favours there. Hard to know what to suggest but maybe some timber held in place by stakes and infill behind it to give the roots a bit of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Earth bank, grass, strim for neatness.

Or else that hedge is probably doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Looks like a typical council road job to me, dig everything away to make it level and to hell with the consequences.

The only good thing (or bad depending on your love of it) is that the hedge looks like shrubby honeysuckle Lonicera nitida which is hard to kill.

I'd pull all the crap out of the bottom of the hedge cut out the ivy and reduce the height by a third.

Then I'd put some soil back but not a whole lot and allow the hedge to grow out a bit on the grass side. Then cut the hedge on that side with a pronounced batter (slope it from the bottom inwards to the top).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Gradually slope the lawn up to the top of the mud. Be perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Car99 wrote: »
    Gradually slope the lawn up to the top of the mud. Be perfect.
    this seems to be quite literally the reverse of the job which left the OP with this situation.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Certainly dont want to have a slope there again so thats out of the question.
    As for the hedge i hate it but its too close to the road and would be a nightmare to replace, so will probably have to take care of it.
    Maybe a thin wooden flower bed is the only option?
    Or is there a shrub i could put along the base that would compliment the hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

What about planting a hedge to hide it?

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote:
    What about planting a hedge to hide it?

Was thinking to do that, i could let it grow and replace the old one too. Would lose a few feet of garden to it but not a bad idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Use railway sleepers a foot or so out and backfill with soil. That will give you a planting area so the hedge roots can be concealed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How about embedding shells, or even cobblestones, onto the surface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Was thinking to do that, i could let it grow and replace the old one too. Would lose a few feet of garden to it but not a bad idea...

I as said it looks to me like Lonicera nitida which roots far too easily, let it grow out on the garden side and it will root where it hits the ground, you could even down some branches or poke in some cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am totally intrigued to know what is it you can see through the hole in the hedge? It kinda looks like distant countryside, but there is a house there.

Advertisement