Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Websites for generating puzzles etc

• 15-09-2019 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been addressed before but was looking at website called schoolhouse technologies which had many impressive features. Great lay outs and lots of activities, great variations. But of course you have to pay for this. Very impressive indeed. Has anyone used this site and what's their opinion. Would it be worth paying for and is it easy to use? (Am not particularly good with technology myself)

There used to be a website called puzzlemaker.com (I think) and I do remember making for example printable wordsearches that did not come out the size of a stamp. I can't seem to use it now. It seems to be subscription only.

Could anyone recommend a website that they use similar to schoolhouse technologies which is free and efficient to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

bobbyss wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been addressed before but was looking at website called schoolhouse technologies which had many impressive features. Great lay outs and lots of activities, great variations. But of course you have to pay for this. Very impressive indeed. Has anyone used this site and what's their opinion. Would it be worth paying for and is it easy to use? (Am not particularly good with technology myself)

There used to be a website called puzzlemaker.com (I think) and I do remember making for example printable wordsearches that did not come out the size of a stamp. I can't seem to use it now. It seems to be subscription only.

Could anyone recommend a website that they use similar to schoolhouse technologies which is free and efficient to use?

Did you ever use Kahoot? If there is a mobile phone policy you may need to use the computer room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I used to use Hot Potatoes to put small puzzles quizzes etc on a Moodle page for my classes.

The one where the teacher gets made to take a step along the pirate ship plank with every correct answer amused them greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Kahoot is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thanks for all those suggestions. Appreciated.

I'm actually looking for a free website that allows you to generate a puzzle and print out a hard copy on a well presented page. The only technology available is one computer and one dodgy printer. No interactive involvement required or needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm actually looking for a free website that allows you to generate a puzzle and print out a hard copy on a well presented page. The only technology available is one computer and one dodgy printer. No interactive involvement required or needed.

Think Hot Potatoes allows that.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com

You can make crosswords, word searches and other bits, print them as well.Very handy site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Blaizes wrote:
    puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com

Blaizes wrote:
    You can make crosswords, word searches and other bits, print them as well.Very handy site.

Thanks. I thought i had used that before and there were some problems with it. Mainly with how small the puzzles came out. Will look at it again. Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Thanks. I thought i had used that before and there were some problems with it. Mainly with how small the puzzles came out. Will look at it again. Thank you

Actually think you could be right, going to try it out this week to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Kahoot is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Kahoot is terrible.

Students love it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭amacca

Kahoot is terrible.

You can make your own if the already created ones don't suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Have you ever used Tarsias?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I second Tarsias. Great resource. Can be time consuming to cut up if you've classes of 30s for example but well worth laminating so you can use them again. Students love them.

Advertisement