Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law Firm Milkrounds 2019

• 11-09-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

To discuss trainee solicitor applications

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi Folks, I've been out of college about three years now from when I completed my LL.M in 2016. I've been working in banking and life assurance since then and I'm looking to apply for a couple of grad schemes this month, and to sit the FE-1's next year. My question is whether I'm at a disadvantage being out of college a couple of years or do firms tend to look favourably at real work experience? I received a first in my degree and a strong 2.1 in a commercially oriented LL.M so hoping my grades will help me! Cheers for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Hey. If anyone has any insight into how they view mature students, that would be great. I applied for two in my final year, completely randomly selected, but tailored cover letters/cvs, all the 'recommended' stuff and reviewed by career dept. Heard nothing from one, and a rejection, with no explanation or feedback, from the other.

I have this nagging feeling that it's pretty pointless getting my hopes up this round because I'm to old for the grad spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lori1980

JohnsKite wrote: »
    Hey. If anyone has any insight into how they view mature students, that would be great. I applied for two in my final year, completely randomly selected, but tailored cover letters/cvs, all the 'recommended' stuff and reviewed by career dept. Heard nothing from one, and a rejection, with no explanation or feedback, from the other.

I have this nagging feeling that it's pretty pointless getting my hopes up this round because I'm to old for the grad spots.

For top ten firms it’s difficult to get in as mature student so if you are actually mature student ie over 30 then focus on the others. In your final year it was still recession central.Two applications won’t really cut it even for newly graduated early 20 applicants. make sure you have legal experience and volunteer work as a mature student applying and proof read as if you were the hr manager/recruiter.

It might take over 50 applications but might as well do it this year instead of potentially recession central next year. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

lori1980 wrote: »
    For top ten firms it’s difficult to get in as mature student so if you are actually mature student ie over 30 then focus on the others. In your final year it was still recession central.Two applications won’t really cut it even for newly graduated early 20 applicants. make sure you have legal experience and volunteer work as a mature student applying and proof read as if you were the hr manager/recruiter.

It might take over 50 applications but might as well do it this year instead of potentially recession central next year. Best of luck.

That's a good point about volunteer work, I should probably look it doing something constantly so I don't have unexplained gaps, haven't been the most outgoing since college ended.

50 is a big number. Does having the fe1s underway help? hopefully passed three out of the 5 I just sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lori1980

That's a good point about volunteer work, I should probably look it doing something constantly so I don't have unexplained gaps, haven't been the most outgoing since college ended.

50 is a big number. Does having the fe1s underway help? hopefully passed three out of the 5 I just sat.

Well it might and will hopefully take less than fifty but you’re up against people fresh out of college with summer internships volunteer experience and music Or sport skills so you’ll have to stand out.if you don’t have legal experience it’ll be even harder but yes the fe1s help.i passed mine first time 5 plus 3 but worked on getting the perfect cv for few years before I got traineeship.its not impossible there are lots of over 30s in ppc.if you’re going to apply you need the cv and application to get the interview so apply everywhere and to as many places as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I've been out of college about three years now from when I completed my LL.M in 2016. I've been working in banking and life assurance since then and I'm looking to apply for a couple of grad schemes this month, and to sit the FE-1's next year. My question is whether I'm at a disadvantage being out of college a couple of years or do firms tend to look favourably at real work experience? I received a first in my degree and a strong 2.1 in a commercially oriented LL.M so hoping my grades will help me! Cheers for the advice :)

I was in the same boat as you, 2 and half years in banking before teting to get a training contract.

Be able to explain the detour and why you are now fully committed to law. Having fe1s behind you will help with this. If you have any connections at all use them, if you know of any firms that may be connected to your banking roles, send them a letter or email

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Eversheds, Pinsent Masons, AMOSS all closed last week. Is it likely the end of the month before we’ll hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ciarocxcc

Does anyone know a group or a person you can go to that can coach you through milkround interviews? Also did anyone notice Amoss extended their deadline to this coming Friday?

Has anyone done the Watson-Glaser for Matheson/AC yet? How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

DWF phone interviews starting this week. Anyone have experience with them?

• Advertisement

Eversheds PFO yesterday, anyone heard from Pinsent Masons?

jus_me wrote: »
    DWF phone interviews starting this week. Anyone have experience with them?

I have one with them this week too. Don’t know anyone who works with them/has interviewed with them though :/

ciarocxcc wrote: »
    I have one with them this week too. Don’t know anyone who works with them/has interviewed with them though :/

When is your interview? Mine is Friday I can let you know what it's like, if you're after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 solicitor?

Anyone hear back from DWF following the phone interview?

solicitor? wrote: »
    Anyone hear back from DWF following the phone interview?

`Not yet did they say when we'd hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 solicitor?

jus_me wrote: »
    `Not yet did they say when we'd hear?

I thought before the end of the week but not 100% sure

solicitor? wrote: »
    I thought before the end of the week but not 100% sure

Looked back on my emails yeah they said by the end of this week with second rounds late next week

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I got a TC with one of the big four when i graduated as a mature student at 32, so don't for a second think it can't be done. If you have experience and good results you should be at least able to get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pasterwords123

Hey, does anybody know when MHC is getting back? Their internship programme is the only way to get a TC so it's related to this thread I suppose.

anyone hear back from Amoss ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

When application forms ask if you have ever failed an exam, does that include FE1s?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LegallyBlonde2

Does anyone have any advise on prepping for interviews or what to focus on?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

No word from AMOSS yet, though they did extend their deadline by a week

Anyone else apply to Hayes ?

MHC is getting back to people!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Heard back from Dillon Eustace today. This is my first trainee interview, any help greatly appreciated.

holliek wrote: »
    Heard back from Dillon Eustace today. This is my first trainee interview, any help greatly appreciated.

Be prepared! Know about the firm, why you want to work there, what interests you, etc. There's always a few times of questions they'll throw your way so you can get prepped on it. Beyond that, have a good commercial sense, be confident not cocky, show that you're someone they can actually work with, and be ready to explain any deficits.

You'll do wonderfully.

holliek wrote: »

Tell us about yourself.
    Tell us about a time you did not deliver
    Tell us about a difficult time at work and how you handled it
    What do you know about the company
    What do you think are the biggest challenges facing the legal industry?
    What motivates/drives you? - How do you think you would handle losing?
    How do you stay up-to-date with legal developments?
    What are the most important qualities that a solicitor must possess?
    What would you do if you were in a meeting with a Partner and they gave the client incorrect legal advice (e.g. quoted outdated legislation)
    Why law?
    Leadership, Initiative and Entrepreneurial Skills - examples of when you demonstrated these.
    Describe an event that has had the most impact on your life to date.
    Describe yourself in three words and why?

These kinds of questions are good to be prepared on- best of luck!

ciarocxcc wrote: »
    Tell us about yourself.
    Tell us about a time you did not deliver
    Tell us about a difficult time at work and how you handled it
    What do you know about the company
    What do you think are the biggest challenges facing the legal industry?
    What motivates/drives you? - How do you think you would handle losing?
    How do you stay up-to-date with legal developments?
    What are the most important qualities that a solicitor must possess?
    What would you do if you were in a meeting with a Partner and they gave the client incorrect legal advice (e.g. quoted outdated legislation)
    Why law?
    Leadership, Initiative and Entrepreneurial Skills - examples of when you demonstrated these.
    Describe an event that has had the most impact on your life to date.
    Describe yourself in three words and why?

These kinds of questions are good to be prepared on- best of luck!

How would you answer the ‘if a partner gave incorrect info’ question ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

Is the Matheson test deadline midnight tonight or tomorrow? Says midnight Monday?

Advertisement