Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike shops in UK - Trade in Irish bikes?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.
    It appears that there's still good value to be had in the UK. I'm wondering if mainland UK or NI bike shops take Irish registered bikes as trade ins?

Has anybody any experience?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I know Crossans & McCallens up north take Irish Reg trade ins....TBH Id say you would not get the same trade in value as down south but they do take them. Not sure about mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks Wonda-Boy.
    I will have a look up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The ideal scenario would be to sell private here and go to the UK or NI with cash on the hip tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Defo sell yourself. I was offered €1050 for a spotless 2004 sv650s as a trade in. Sold private for €2250. dealers just take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

UK dealers won't take an Irish bike unless it was originally a UK one. The process for registration is just too long for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Defo sell yourself. I was offered €1050 for a spotless 2004 sv650s as a trade in. Sold private for €2250. dealers just take the piss.

So you got €2250.

What did you expect from a dealer taking on board that if he takes in your bike, his reselling price will probably be no more than the €2250 you got ?

He'll have to take it in and:
    • Service it - cos no-one will buy one from a shop unserviced. Will have to put a tyre - or even 2 on it? I mean, when I buy a bike, I nearly always make new tyres part of my purchasing haggle.
    • Prep it for sale - this can be a big or small job - again, no-one will buy tat
    • Warranty - he'll have to cover it for at least...3 months?... post-sale, so there's a factor in that. Say something simple like a battery...
    • Profit - the reason a shop exists. Wages, overheads, insurance, rates, taxes.

So, if I take your €2250 and subtract the €1050 we're left with €1200 - gross. How much do you really think is going to be made on it ? Especially if it sits in the shop for.....3 months ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

No they don't, for a trade in the dealer will have to use up their working capital which can mess with cash flow, service, sell and warranty your trade-in to move it on, that all costs money, not to mention t allow for potential discounting on it's sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks guys. I was hoping to avoid private sale with all the messing around going on. Will go up to Crossans and see what they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MSVforever wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I was hoping to avoid private sale with all the messing around going on. Will go up to Crossans and see what they offer.

When trading in look at the cost to change not the trade in price. Its easy for a dealer to give you a good price for your bike if they are charging more for their bike.

So try a few Irish shops as well as UK shops and see what the cost of change will be be for each.

Del2005 wrote: »
    When trading in look at the cost to change not the trade in price. Its easy for a dealer to give you a good price for your bike if they are charging more for their bike.

So try a few Irish shops as well as UK shops and see what the cost of change will be be for each.

Exactly, a friend of mine just bought a Triumph Explorer down here. The difference between selling his bike privately and then buying the new bike directly, compared to trading it in to the shop was €300.

That's less than the price of a pair of tyres.

And he rode up on the old bike, did the paperwork...and rode home on the new bike after an hour.

compare that to the DD nonsense that goes on.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

galwaytt wrote: »
    So you got €2250.

What did you expect from a dealer taking on board that if he takes in your bike, his reselling price will probably be no more than the €2250 you got ?

• Service it - cos no-one will buy one from a shop unserviced. Will have to put a tyre - or even 2 on it? I mean, when I buy a bike, I nearly always make new tyres part of my purchasing haggle.
    • Prep it for sale - this can be a big or small job - again, no-one will buy tat
    • Warranty - he'll have to cover it for at least...3 months?... post-sale, so there's a factor in that. Say something simple like a battery...

So, if I take your €2250 and subtract the €1050 we're left with €1200 - gross. How much do you really think is going to be made on it ? Especially if it sits in the shop for.....3 months ??

Well I'm figuring he was surely going to make a fair few quid on the bike I was considering buying off him. I thought it was a rather insulting offer. But hey Ho!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »

The last one - meh. I might as well complain to my boss that it costs me money to get to work.

The others - these are all reasons a dealer should be able to charge more. The bike has been serviced (probably little more than oil and filter, but anyway), should have good consumables and some sort of warranty.

If you could get all that for no premium over the risk and hassle of buying privately, then why would anyone buy privately.

Life ain't always empty.

Well I'm figuring he was surely going to make a fair few quid on the bike I was considering buying off him. I thought it was a rather insulting offer. But hey Ho!;)

He would make a lot more if you just paid cash and didn't trade, hence the lower offer.

He'd make no more on that than yours, buying & selling is a washing-through process, not trying to hit the one Golden Nugget buyer who pays over the odds. You could die of starvation waiting for that one to arrive....

Ode To The Motorist

The others - these are all reasons a dealer should be able to charge more. The bike has been serviced (probably little more than oil and filter, but anyway), should have good consumables and some sort of warranty.

In a market where everyone can hop on a boat or ride up to a different jurisdiction 'to save loads', no dealer here is going to get a premium. Charging it (asking it) is easy, getting it is a whole other ball of wax.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What I mean is the private sellers are asking too much

I doubt many of them get close to what they ask for

A dealer will usually hold out for the asking price

Life ain't always empty.

What I mean is the private sellers are asking too much

I doubt many of them get close to what they ask for
    They're not, always ask for a little more than you're willing to let go at, gives room for bargaining, it's also a good way of avoiding the messers.
    A dealer will usually hold out for the asking price

No they don't, dealer will move on price, maybe not as much but they play ball too.

Advertisement