Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Triathlon improvements

• 01-09-2019 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Just wondering others opinions on here. When it comes to training for triathlon, I tend to only be able to improve one discipline at a time ie if I want to PB on the bike segment, I will focus on that but my running/swimming will remain stagnant.

Kinda got me thinking that I should move into a more specific training blocks .ie 6 week blocks that are run specific then move to another 6 week block of cycle specific training.

Trying to improve all 3 disciplines all year round seems to be least effective (at least for me). Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the question is does a stagnant swim or bike that is still trained not help to improve the other splits ? or runing is the sport that usually helps to get the weight down which can help the bike.

at the end its all aobut the right balance. what we certainly can see if people focus on only one one sport for while when they come back after their one sport focus they (and epetions confirm the rule ) tend to be slower in tri for a while. or people that do tri training but focus as well in racing in a single sport ( regardless swim bike or run) tend not to achive their potential in triathlon.

having said this block training certainly has as place in tri ( 6 weeks on the long side thou) and if you feel it works for you i would not be afraid to follow it while not forgeting that overall triathlon is to go from a 2 d in the fastest way. and getting faster in one sport harld ever means that improvent comes over to tri 1;1 .

thats the short answer the long answer is too long ( and of course depends on what distacne you do , talent, preferecnes where you live , etc etc and it can be as simple as at what level you race and how the race unfoldes for instance etc etc
    some will they focus on your strenght some say focsu on your weakness when at the end it dose also depend a bit talent so when some should focus more on their weakness. otheres might be better of to focus on their stregnth at the end its about balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Good points, honestly I am not 100% sure how much focusing on one sport affects the others (for better, worse or no difference). I am thinking I will start a bike focused block for the winter (Sept - Dec) in an effort to raise my FTP (specifically looking at Oly distance). Probably look to 4 days a week cycling, with 2 for running and prob 2 for swimming. The question I was trying to raise, was that this bike focused block which also includes some running and swimming may give me a gain in cycling but running and swimming remain stagnant or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’m no expert so this is based on my own experiences but swimming is a very perishable skill and you may struggle to stay still let alone improve if you only swim twice a week (unless you come from a swimming background). Try for at least 3 swims a week, even if the third swim is only a short session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 momopk

Cona wrote: »
    Good points, honestly I am not 100% sure how much focusing on one sport affects the others (for better, worse or no difference). I am thinking I will start a bike focused block for the winter (Sept - Dec) in an effort to raise my FTP (specifically looking at Oly distance). Probably look to 4 days a week cycling, with 2 for running and prob 2 for swimming. The question I was trying to raise, was that this bike focused block which also includes some running and swimming may give me a gain in cycling but
    running and swimming remain stagnant or worse.

The above poster made a good point

That depends on your current level and how much you are maxed out.

If you are short of time a better compromise. Might be make one bike sessions a brick session still bike focused but some running
    And maybe run after a swim 20 min tempo
    All speculation as I don't know you...
    And the other week you swim after a run
    But 20 min swimming is better than no swim and 3 runs even is one short better than 2.
    At the end frequency is a valuable factor

Advertisement