Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Thorpe

• 05-08-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen this guys videos on YouTube.

Something dodgy about him. Wouldn't buy a watch off him that's for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

He is a geezer. Son has a conviction for some watch related fraud.

Meh easy one to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

893bet wrote: »
    He is a geezer. Son has a conviction for some watch related fraud.

Meh easy one to avoid.

I wondered if that was the guy I read about a while ago. It was.

https://www.watchpro.com/fake-rolex-dealer-hit-with-8-year-bankruptcy-restrictions-order/

They have a long history of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

He reeks BS, talking about being robbed and being a retired watch dealer.

He fired up over 100 videos on YouTube in a very short period of time.

Mostly talking rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

He seems to divide opinion. I find his videos somewhat informative, but by god he takes a while to get to the point. Production values are non existant, its vlog style but at least a bit of editing. At least he doesn't keep repeating the same phrases like rainman.

He seems to have re-uploaded a lot of his old videos from his channel from 2016 hence the large numbers of videos very quickly, its not like he is just sticking any up any old crap to reach the monitiziation goals, despite being retired and wealthy.

Some people claim he had something to do with his sons shady crimes. He says he didn't, although his retirement happened to coincide with the crimes. Yeah he is a tattoo wearing London geezer, but not the worst by any means. I feel he has said what he has to say and I dont know where he channel is going to go in the future, now he has blown the whistle on the game of watch dealing.

https://youtu.be/w8p2jPhVXO0

Giving advise on scams.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    His channel clearly came back just to help his watch show become a success, he made a few interesting videos but the so called inside scoop he has hasn’t revealed anything new, he tried to come across as a man for the people but then the money making watch show was mentioned.
    I checked out his website and the fees he charges are crazy, he offers to train people to become a watch dealer on a course and there’s not a hope you’re going to learn all that in a short space of time from his bs.

I think if he took his time to grow the channel and build up his fan base and then in a year or so bring out the watch show idea then it may not have looked so obvious.

Total con man how do people not see it?

I find him irritating.

Much prefer laughing at mcAnus channel. The content is so poor and forced.

(I know John, you are welcome for the interactions that’s driving google to make you a millionaire eventually).

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

I must be the only person on here who likes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I must be the only person on here who likes him.

Nah, I watch his videos all the time. Sure his families past may be less than pristine (never heard anything about him directly) but I’m never going to be buying anything from him so I haven’t much to worry about. Some of his advice about certain brands etc is pretty bang on though. I’m hoping to pick up an expensive watch in the next year and his advice has made me look at other brands.

• Advertisement

Nah, I watch his videos all the time. Sure his families past may be less than pristine (never heard anything about him directly) but I’m never going to be buying anything from him so I haven’t much to worry about. Some of his advice about certain brands etc is pretty bang on though. I’m hoping to pick up an expensive watch in the next year and his advice has made me look at other brands.

What were you looking at?

What are you now looking at following taking note of his videos?

It depends on your intentions. I follow two simple rules. 1) Only buy a watch I like 2) Only buy if I will get my €€ back or a small loss.

I brought a chronomat 44 from Keanes in Cork earlier on this year. Paid full whack. Having listened to some of his videos, if today was yesterday I'd have thought long and hard about doing it. Indeed, the same watch brand new can be found on Chrono 24 for a considerable amount less.

It didn't really hit home until I saw his 'shop window' video.

Like another guy said I won't be buying anything from him so I just take his videos at face value.

Regarding the robberies. Do people think he's not telling the truth? I don't know why he'd make it up

It depends on your intentions. I follow two simple rules. 1) Only buy a watch I like 2) Only buy if I will get my €€ back or a small loss.

And you don't need a bunch of youtube videos to follow that advice.
    I watched a few of his videos, good entertainment, but all you need to do is follow those rules. Looking through his channel it seems to be very Rolex orientated.

Put it like this: Would you buy a €15k watch off him?

Hadn't seen that. Did you watch his video from 2016 where he gave predictions on what were good buys? I didn't so I'm not sure how that went.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Put it like this: Would you buy a €15k watch off him?

Hard to say. I'd really only be comfortable spending that type of money in an AD I think.

I was looking at getting a Tudor GMT instead of waiting it out for a Rolex GMT2 Batman. Having listened to his videos, it made me realize that the Rolex will be worth waiting for. While I wouldn't have any immediate plans to sell the watch, its always useful having something to fall back on should the proverbial hit the fan, I get the feeling that while the Tudor will hold its value reasonably well the Rolex will be just that bit better.

I was looking at getting a Tudor GMT instead of waiting it out for a Rolex GMT2 Batman. Having listened to his videos, it made me realize that the Rolex will be worth waiting for. While I wouldn't have any immediate plans to sell the watch, its always useful having something to fall back on should the proverbial hit the fan, I get the feeling that while the Tudor will hold its value reasonably well the Rolex will be just that bit better.

If you want a GMT batman I think you'll have to get into the AD's good books. By buying a watch from them first.

If you want a GMT batman I think you'll have to get into the AD's good books. By buying a watch from them first.

Yes, unfortunately I think I will. I was thinking about a Tudor heritage but I'm not sure if I can make it onto a Rolex list if I don't buy a Rolex first, in which case an Airking could be on the cards if there isnt a mad waiting list. Then hit them for the Batman and wait 3 years :(

I'm hoping that if I buy the Tudor from a Rolex AD then I might have some hope.

Yes, unfortunately I think I will. I was thinking about a Tudor heritage but I'm not sure if I can make it onto a Rolex list if I don't buy a Rolex first, in which case an Airking could be on the cards if there isnt a mad waiting list. Then hit them for the Batman and wait 3 years :(

Not the case.

I got onto the list by buying a breitling. Lovely watch but having seen Paul Thorpes take I probably wouldn't have brought from them. The same watch new can be gotten for a song on chrono 24. Literally 1000's less.

At least if you buy the Rolex and look after it it should more or less hold its value.

• Advertisement

Seriously who would buy a watch off him, he must have been supplying gangsters with watches so they could get rid of their some cash. He puts out the image that he has money and has owned multiple Ferrari etc... but hey, there is always someone that will pay over the odds for a watch just because they want it right now or it's in trend at the time.

But the minute he opens his mouth it sounds like is trying to con you.

Buy a Tudor Black Bay 36mm and I'll buy that off you then.....win win 😂

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Anyone still watching him ? He became insufferable coming up to the watch show

Stopped watching. Bored me to death with the nice guy act instead of actually talking about watches.

Advertisement