Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light painting

Options
  • 28-07-2019 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Anybody else fool around with light painting? I love spinning steel wool, and using fibre optic cables to paint.
    If so, where do you do it? What sort of tools do you use? Bought or homemade?

This one was made with steel wool and some magnesium ribbon, set on fire, spun around in a metal whisk on a length of wire.

MNYcrlO.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I play around with it a lot. It's the pyro in me :)
    I've used all sorts of lamps, torches, strings of fairy lights, home made light-bars, jury rigged and gaffa-taped monstrosities of shaped acrylic sheeting that would probably kill someone if it fell on them...and still my favourite, the oul sparking wire wool.
    I'm always on the lookout for anything that is reflective or refractive that might produce some interesting light.
    I tend to use them on the seafront most often as I am working on reflections though I have created puddles in urban settings, under bridges etc., to 'shape' the spark showers. For me the most enjoyable compositions are set in the blue hour, urban lighting way off in the background and a sphere reflected in very shallow water. The orange of the sparks and of the city lights are wonderful against the dark blue of the twilight.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm always on the lookout for anything that is reflective or refractive that might produce some interesting light.

Hmm.. Hadn't thought of refractive! Cheers 🙂

Advertisement